• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vlad Chiriches

Re: Chiriches official

[video=youtube;4AtGzBENTtw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AtGzBENTtw[/video]

Nearly takes one of our other signing's heads off with this goal! At least they will have something to talk about. :lol:

[video=youtube;V6Ai_TlNHCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Ai_TlNHCU[/video]

BS7ImJsCMAAe9qF.jpg

If you have seen Goodfellas then Rags to Riches....Vlad Kee-ree-kesh (Google approved pronunciation)

Last edited:

^^I would trust any number of Romanian language resources on the pronunciation of the letter ș though, in preference to some oik from the club press office.

Just watching the interview on Spurs TV, he speaks pretty good English.

Ok guys..saddle up..it's going to be a long post. About my personal opinion of Vlad Chiriches (which by the way is pronounced Kee ree kesh) and THFC.

This story begins today, when..bored at work..I was scrolling through the Romanian sports media and noticed the picture of Chiriches in Tottenham's shirt. Opened the article and saw your usual ****ty sports article with just a few comments about the signing..so I thought..well..what do THFC's fans think of this move and what do they know about Vlad? Will they think he's another Tamas (WBA)..decent back-up player at best...but surely they wouldn't pay 9,5M in that case, right?

So I go online and search for "tottenham fans chiriches" and I eventually end up here on a 29-page post in the transfer rumors area dedicated to this young fella..seems you guys don't know a whole lot about him..so I've prepared a special analysis for you to get an idea of what's ahead..
I am in no way a professional analyst, but used to play football when I was young - coincidentally had Tanase from Steaua in my group - which I quit because my parents wanted a serious education for me and all that ****. But I still like football and enjoy a good game from now and then, especially in the Premier League, where you have the highest quality football there is..
Anyway, around this time last year, Steaua Bucharest brought in a new coach (Laurentiu Reghencampf, former Romanian international) and a core of interesting young players to consolidate a team that was already starting to gel..in pursuit of a much coveted title it hadn't won for around 7 years (I think). Until this time, owner Gigi Becali (a delusional maniac most of the time, but he did have a good soul if you knew how to push the right buttons..and HE - not the general manager or coach - brought in some players just because he liked them) had hired and dismissed in style a dozen coaches in a few years trying to find the winning formula. Things skyrocketed in a year, Steaua winning a title with a huge difference on second place and on the other hand knocking out Ajax in fashion (after winning a group with Stuttgart, Copenhagen and Molde) and being 45 minutes away from a major shock over a struggling Chelsea side but in the end to see experience and money prevail over football that is appealing to the eye. This is what Steaua has become in just one year and there is a major buzz in Romania - maybe one of the few bright spots and excitement in our country ;) They have continued all that spirit into this season and we're still adjusting, but Steaua will go into the last 16 of the UCL in that group, mark my words. They are not world class, but exciting to watch, even for people accustomed to high standards like PL. Enough about the history lesson (this is just for you to understand what Kee ree kesh' background is)..

Vlad Chiriches. He is (or..uhm..was) Steaua's most valuable player alongside captain and team spirit Alexandru Bourceanu who has improved massively the past year. The 23-year old center back is not just your above average Romanian player..he has a certain presence which is intimidating and he owns the area in front of the goalkeeper. I am sure you will be surprised by how good he is since day 1, but you guys will enjoy every minute of his performance once he will become a regular starter - I would say by Christmas he is your #2 most valued and loved defender (behind Vertonghen, of course). He's not perfect, yet. You know what his first words were at the airport on his way to London?: "I am over the moon with the transfer, but I still have a lot of work to do. I have improved on my heading skills compared to last year, but I still have a long way to go." That says a lot about the young boy's character and work ethic. I would say Chiriches is even better in terms of talent than Adrian Mutu (you may remember him from his Chelsea days) and I appreciate his football skills a great deal..his character..not so much.
He has done a lot of good things for Steaua in the past couple of years and his value has risen very fast, while he kept a low profile in his personal life. He is very serious and you can tell he really enjoys the game, determined, but always with a smile on his face - some people called him "baby face" :lol:
Worried that he might not be prepared for PL? I hear AVB wants him in the starting lineup against Arsenal and was impressed with his physical condition - by the way, Steaua has one of the best athletics trainer in Eastern Europe.
Lets look bad at what Vlad was doing 1 year after he had stepped up to Europa League top level (last 32) - he was perfect at home in the return leg vs Ajax and he scored a sensational goal in front of 55k people, sending the game into overtime where Steaua would win in a penalty shootout - the dutch champs were absolutely stunned and dominated by a magnificent Steaua led by Chiriches' enthusiasm and perfect defensive presence.
Next up, Chelsea..then-current UCL champions having a mediocre season by their standards and in search of some consistent play under Rafa Benitez. Bucharest, first leg.."The Vladiator" was flawless and Steaua got a solid 1-0 victory. Second leg, 1-1 at half time thanks to a goal from Vlad and a 3-1 final result but with a decent effort from our guys.

So..bottom line..you have every reason to be excited and I think Bale's departure will actually do Tottenham more good than many think. In a way, I think Tottenham will be England's Steaua and win a championship really soon..the core and some nice additions are starting to come together :)

This paints another kind of story about Chiriches, but I hope it was worth the read. Go THFC!!

Nice write up Romanian. Say if you compared him to Verts directly - speed, heading, reading of game, tackling, intercepting etc... how would you rate attributes like those for the both of them out a score of 10? also do you think he is verstaile enough for other positions? We're stocked at midfield, so its got to be either left or right back.

Back