• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

I've only seen the poor highlights from yesterday on MOTD, but reading the match thread son was doing outside the box thing that has been leveled at Janssen. Seeing as all our strikers seem to do it is it not possible they are following orders.

Played well when he came on and his extra strength caused problems for the Wycome defenders, took his penalty well and good assist for the winning goal.

He did alright yesterday. Wasn't showing any signs of discontent that might be evident given his recent omissions from matchday squads. Took the penalty well and aside from the assist, was involved in 2-3 other patches of play that caused problems.

The one thing I would want him to do more though is worry about where the ball is and where it is going rather than feeling for his marker all the time and then just backing in and looking to hold the ball up. He isn't giving himself a chance when he does that all the time. A little more running into space like for his penalty and collecting the pass and facing the right way with the ball at his feet.

Pity he did not score with that injury time header - would have possibly been a turning point in his Spurs career....
That's what everyone said about Gregorsz Rasiak and Soldado and Janssen... if only that chance had gone in...

I actually quite like Janssen's attributes, he is just lacking in confidence

Pity he did not score with that injury time header - would have possibly been a turning point in his Spurs career....

said exactly the same thing to the missus when it happened. Same with Everton, first match of the season, we will never ever know, but imagine if he had scored that winner, on his debut. The boost he would have got back then.
Unfortunately for him he will be back on the bench, at best, on Tuesday, unless Kane is still injured, and he probably wont get a start until Gent

He needs to improve his positioning and movement inside the penalty box. When we have the ball in a wide position, he tends to be in front of the near post in a position he can't possibly score from. It's not too difficult to chance this. Someone just needs to tell him he needs to stay further back in the box and then attack the space when the cross is about to be put in. It's very basic for a striker, but he doesn't seem to grasp it. He does some good things in out buld up play, but if he wants to score goals, he needs to take up positions he can score from more often. He's been doing it wrong all season, so it's very odd that no one in our coaching staff has picked it up. Poch was a defender rather than a striker, I suppose.

Last edited:
didnt see the full game so can't say much BUT the 4th goal actually came about with the things i was giving him grief about ...which was ironic and a much welcomed egg on my face

One reason for his improvement could be that the Wycombe defenders played to his strengths i.e. were very physical, low skill defenders who gave the forward more time than the PL ones. I want him to succeed but he needs a goal from open play. It can't be good that Poch didn't trust him, in a weakened side, from the start against a League 2 team.

One reason for his improvement could be that the Wycombe defenders played to his strengths i.e. were very physical, low skill defenders who gave the forward more time than the PL ones. I want him to succeed but he needs a goal from open play. It can't be good that Poch didn't trust him from the start against a League 2 team.

It was mentioned elsewhere, possibility is Poch was thinking Wycombe would be much more accustomed to playing a Janssen type striker in the lower leagues vs. a Son type striker with movement and pace. Probably thought Wycombe would have been in a bit more defensive and Janssen would have got more stick/pressure if 60 mins in we were still 0-0.

As it turned out, he was a key sub, didn't hide and can go away feeling satisfied. Long way to go, but don't think he's quite a lost cause yet.

One reason for his improvement could be that the Wycombe defenders played to his strengths i.e. were very physical, low skill defenders who gave the forward more time than the PL ones. I want him to succeed but he needs a goal from open play. It can't be good that Poch didn't trust him, in a weakened side, from the start against a League 2 team.

I think Poch said that he did not start Janssen because of the pressure of expectation it would place on him. I like that Poch is protecting him a bit rather than just throwing him in, sink-or-swim. I don't think it shows a lack of trust as such as were that the case I think Poch would have no qualms in leaving him out altogether. The plan was possibly to introduce him once we were in a comfortable position. Obviously that didn't work and he came on with more pressure on him to help turn things around. Which he did.
Hopefully we will see him restored to the bench tonight.

Hopefully if we are comfortable (i.e. winning by 2 or more) by the 70th minute vs Sunderland tonight he can get some more minutes (plus a goal)...

I like his attitude, but agree he needs to concentrate more on making runs into the box rather than grappling with defenders. I think Son probably works best with him directly atm. I can see him also benefiting from an in-form Eriksen too. Big month for him imo

I think its very telling that Poch didnt bring on Janssen until the 85th minute when its really last throw of the dice time, if he had any faith in him, he would have come on when Son came off.

some of the responses above are hilarious, I'm going to see if I can find someone to lay me a price on him not scoring from open play all season.

Back