• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

and to flesh that thought out in a reasonably logical manner

if the ball is wide and i'm vincent janssen, i'm threat A, i'm gonna attract the best defender, if I move out of the high danger area I weaken the defence and increase the chance of a mismatch behind me

maybe

if the ball is wide and i'm vincent janssen, i'm threat A, i'm gonna attract the best defender, if I move out of the high danger area I weaken the defence and increase the chance of a mismatch behind me

maybe

Otherwise known as the "Emile Heskey condition." The problem is tying that unselfish work with goals to make an effective striker.

maybe
Occupying your defender, it's what Harry got praise for when dele scored 2 against Chelsea, yet Janssen...........

Occupying your defender, it's what Harry got praise for when dele scored 2 against Chelsea, yet Janssen...........

There's not a lot of point comparing what Janssen does like Harry until he wins a few games for us, nevermind knock in 20+ league goals for a couple of seasons running.

"Well, when Messi has a poor game nobody says a word, but Janssen..."

i think heskey was effective irrespective of his individual tally

As Robspur said, scoring goals is meant to be a striker's main selling point. Plus Janssen had a reputation in Holland as a goalscorer. I'd be curious to know where he got his goals from in Holland. I can't imagine Poch is telling him to drop deep/wide and not attack the 6 yard box. Reminds me a bit of Fernando Torres when he was at Chelsea and hiding.

I really hope he comes good as I don't think we'll be seeing another striker join the club for another couple of years at the earliest but he looks like a donkey at the moment.

Maybe he was effective, but his lack of goals was seen as his major weakness as a striker.

take him away from that system and how many fewer goals would Owen get?

its a team game, and i'll say it again, goals are overrated, the system is everything

As Robspur said, scoring goals is meant to be a striker's main selling point. Plus Janssen had a reputation in Holland as a goalscorer. I'd be curious to know where he got his goals from in Holland. I can't imagine Poch is telling him to drop deep/wide and not attack the 6 yard box. Reminds me a bit of Fernando Torres when he was at Chelsea and hiding.

I really hope he comes good as I don't think we'll be seeing another striker join the club for another couple of years at the earliest but he looks like a donkey at the moment.

I think thats a generalisation, how many goals did the undroppable Guivarc'h get for France in 98, how about Paulista for Portugal or more recently Eder or Queresma, what percentage of Madrid's goals come from Benzema opposed to those who play off him, what would have come of Cole or Rush (or Lineker for England come to that) without Beardsley?

You don't need to score goals, to score goals.

I think thats a generalisation, how many goals did the undroppable Guivarc'h get for France in 98, how about Paulista for Portugal or more recently Eder or Queresma, what percentage of Madrid's goals come from Benzema opposed to those who play off him, what would have come of Cole or Rush (or Lineker for England come to that) without Beardsley?

You don't need to score goals, to score goals.

Someone has to score the goals though and I am guessing we would not have bought Janssen if he didn't have such a good goalscoring season previously. In our system, the number 9 weighs in with a ton of goals and imo we bought him with a view to replicating what he did for his previous club. So fingers crossed that he can do something along those lines.

How many great club teams have a number 9 that doesn't score goals? I can't think of any, most top sides have a number 9 who scores 1 in 2 or better (that includes Benzema).

Someone has to score the goals though and I am guessing we would not have bought Janssen if he didn't have such a good goalscoring season previously. In our system, the number 9 weighs in with a ton of goals and imo we bought him with a view to replicating what he did for his previous club. So fingers crossed that he can do something along those lines.

How many great club teams have a number 9 that doesn't score goals? I can't think of any, most top sides have a number 9 who scores 1 in 2 or better (that includes Benzema).

agreed, but, it doesn't matter who scores, goals come from disruption of the defence, Janssen has (obviously) played against weaker defences so far in his career, defences easier to disrupt, the number of goals he has scored for us is as relevant as the number of goals his previous team mates have scored without him

Benzema scores goals because he's a great player in a great side who cause the opposition innumerable problems in every game, but Benzema's role in that offence is to manipulate defenders into making holes for Bale and Ronaldo

he's played 15 games in English football and the knives are out, how did Kane do in his first 15, how many Orient or Millwall fans predicted his success?

generally on number 9's, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea don't even have one, city's/boro's/southampton's/stoke's/sunderland's/swansea's/west ham's rarely play, palace have frazier campbell, the only number 9 actually doing it in the PL is Zlatan ;-)

he's played 15 games in English football and the knives are out, how did Kane do in his first 15, how many Orient or Millwall fans predicted his success?
I have to correct you. 'Knives" are not "out," posters are commenting on his performances and where they see he is going wrong. In the main I think they are quite accurate.

However, whilst he wears a Spurs shirt he will have my support. If you consider that as "knives are out" do not look at the Ade thread in the Classics archive, that was a full blown murder.

take him away from that system and how many fewer goals would Owen get?

its a team game, and i'll say it again, goals are overrated, the system is everything
So we've signed someone to play the Emile Heskey role- oh good. Better hope our midfielders have their shooting boots on if Kane is out. Isn't the key point that Heskey had to play with a strike partner rather than as the lone striker?

So we've signed someone to play the Emile Heskey role- oh good. Better hope our midfielders have their shooting boots on if Kane is out. Isn't the key point that Heskey had to play with a strike partner rather than as the lone striker?

it was merely a defence of an unfairly maligned (imo) forward

I have to correct you. 'Knives" are not "out," posters are commenting on his performances and where they see he is going wrong. In the main I think they are quite accurate.

However, whilst he wears a Spurs shirt he will have my support. If you consider that as "knives are out" do not look at the Ade thread in the Classics archive, that was a full blown murder.

i have seen on here, and heard on the spurs show podcast, suggestions that we should bring in someone else and move him out as part of the process, the equally unproven and youthful Dembele from celtic was a suggestion, as was Defoe

@galeforce I wouldn't say the knives are out, not on this board at least. I think most posters who have been critical of some of his performances (I say some because I think he has played quite well in certain games) still want to give him a chance to succeed. Speaking for myself, the Villa game was the first one where he really disappointed me with how he played. I really hope he bounces back and gives a strong performance when he next gets the chance.

generally on number 9's, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea don't even have one, city's/boro's/southampton's/stoke's/sunderland's/swansea's/west ham's rarely play, palace have frazier campbell, the only number 9 actually doing it in the PL is Zlatan ;-)

I probably shouldn't say 'number 9' - could instead say 'main striker' so lump together Aguerro, Kane, Costa, Zlatan, Sanchez, Giroud (yes, that qunt does score goals unfortunately). I'd say the only side that doesn't really play with one is Liverpool (the only good side anyway).

rooney when paired with ronaldo at united?

I dont think so personally..if rooney or ronaldo had the ball on the wing i dont think either would consistently be hell bent on playing hold up struggle on the edge of the box near the winger. how would ronaldo or rooney be consistent scorers from there?

maybe

??hmm

but you wouldnt necessarily attract the best defender , unless you are as good as the best in the league.....if you moved from one zone to another....the defenders shoudl and would switch up . If there was any overload on the wingers side then yes the defender would follow you so as to not create a 2 v1 situation but playing 1 up front if janssen goes from the left central defenders area to the right central defenders area then they will just switch responsibilities.. Janssen wouldnt be pulling anyone anywhere

and another thing...janseen doesnt even pull the defender..its not like he ghosts in ..he literally runs in front of the near side defender and plays the hold up game. i dont think he pulls the defender anywhere...if he does then thats good of course

Back