• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

It's a from of censorship because your not being criticized about the comments regarding the player, but rather that you are criticizing them at all. The crappy sarcy comment at the end of your post being fairly typical of what I'm referring to. Not that it bothers me, as I couldn't care less, but it might dissuade more sensitive souls from posting.

I directly mirrored a comment you made about people's age and you refer to it as crappy and sarcy... I'm not sure if this is some attempt at being funny or if you genuinely forgot about your own previous comment.

Apparently we use the words censorship and thought police rather differently.

I directly mirrored a comment you made about people's age and you refer to it as crappy and sarcy... I'm not sure if this is some attempt at being funny or if you genuinely forgot about your own previous comment.

Apparently we use the words censorship and thought police rather differently.

This.

And also the fact that he tore us apart in at least 3 games when we played them

His euros were very good but people forget he has had some great games against us too

i dont remember him doing that...."tore us apart?" for me that means as in completely roasted us and we could do nothing to stop him...

i dont remember ever seeing him do anything that warranted us breaking the bank for him personally.

The record for sissoko? nae chance...

Last edited:
sQUOTE="90291Spur, post: 882273, member: 1982"]So I guess we shut down any speculation about things in all the threads? Or just in this thread? I'm sure that if that's the case many of us could still find ways to have forum-based fights with each other

It's a discussion forum, a place that is only of interest because people are prepared to voice opinions, yet the thought police want to censor comment. Anything that contradicts the majority is frowned upon in some quarters. You have to agree with certain people. Might as well pass a rule that comments can only be posted after certain types have vetted them as being suitable, ie politically correct, thou shalt not criticise Lamela, or Janssen. I really wonder about the ages of some people on here because fanboydom and hero worship are so in evidence.

I miss this place.....

I miss this place.....

And we miss you ... been a while ...

back on topic .. Janssen based on draw is likely to get another start. Best question for everyone would be, what lineup (understanding rotation) and formation should we play with intention of giving him most changes to score?

i dont remember him doing that...."tore us apart?" for me that means as in completely roasted us and we could do nothing to stop him...

i dont remember ever seeing him do anything that warranted us breaking the bank for him personally.

The record for sissoko? nae chance...

What do you mean record?

And yeah he did batter us

I was there when we lost to them and he was the standout player

Last edited:
What do you mean record?

And yeah he did battle us

I was there when we lost to them and he was the standout player

that's our record signing right? Or am i wrong about that?

I dont mind him as a squad player....but considering we were looking at Mane (yes yes rumours), i dont think the amount we shelled out for him was warranted based on anything he has done prior.

put it this way...Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans didn't feel bad once they suggested amount of money bid for him was announced..and they would know surely...

And we miss you ... been a while ...

back on topic .. Janssen based on draw is likely to get another start. Best question for everyone would be, what lineup (understanding rotation) and formation should we play with intention of giving him most changes to score?

Oddly enough i dont think his issue is that he can't score...i think its the way he chooses to play. Currently it seems like he plays safe a bit too much and his main focus is to not make a mistake...yet you cant help but feel that even though he is playing safe he keeps over thinking everything he does.

Kid needs to just relax and know that we as fans have his corner. Also that he wont be put on the scrap heap immediately either.....

he can get opportunities if he takes a breath and just relaxes. Let the game come to him so to speak IMV.

cause right now even when we have people on the wing he goes to their near side and plays a hold up game?? Get in the box young man...thats where they are going to send the ball

Oddly enough i dont think his issue is that he can't score...i think its the way he chooses to play. Currently it seems like he plays safe a bit too much and his main focus is to not make a mistake...yet you cant help but feel that even though he is playing safe he keeps over thinking everything he does.

Kid needs to just relax and know that we as fans have his corner. Also that he wont be put on the scrap heap immediately either.....

he can get opportunities if he takes a breath and just relaxes. Let the game come to him so to speak IMV.

cause right now even when we have people on the wing he goes to their near side and plays a hold up game?? Get in the box young man...thats where they are going to send the ball

I agree, his aim should be to be the target .. especially against lower level opposition, we don't need hold up play, we have enough possession, control the play without that.

people have often said the same thing about Kane though tbf, regarding him drifting out wide/coming short to get involved - he probably would be better served staying in the middle but sometimes (quite often) our attacking midfielders dwell on the ball and id imagine it gets frustrating staying in the middle and making runs and no one making the pass. Id wager if he did stay central and barely touched the ball as a result we'd see complaints that he needs to get involved more and make things happen etc

Very true, and we saw the same thing with Soldado. To his credit, he'd come out and lead the line well at first, but when the inevitable horror miss would arrive (as it usually did), he'd retreat into his shell and focus on the non-scoring elements of his role for the rest of the game. He did them quite well - closed down, distributed the ball, offered himself as an option for players on the wing/in midfield, and so on...but his destiny was only ever going to change if he kept himself in the box and focused on scoring instead of being a good team player.

However...I think that sort of instinctive goal-chasing is hard to keep doing when you're struggling to put them away. Bobby had an interview with Sid Lowe of the Guardian a while back (I think it was in April last year, when Villarreal played Liverpool) where he talked about how his time at Spurs essentially changed him as a player, and made him far more focused on supporting other forwards than on scoring himself. He talked about it with a tinge of regret (I felt) - said that he arrived at Spurs as a player that thought about nothing but getting on the end of crosses and passes, but left as a far less focused striker. To his credit, he made the most of it at Villarreal last season - he did very well as the support striker for Bakambu, who led the line. But you felt reading that interview that he regretted that it had to happen that way.

That's what a run without goals did to a striker with an enormous pedigree at the top level with Valencia - one who led the team he played with at Valencia, and one who arrived at Spurs at the age of 27 (iirc). It's really harsh on Janssen to expect him to remain single-minded in the face of a goalscoring drought given that he's arrived without much of a pedigree to his name, seems like an amiable and professional lad but one without the leadership qualities that Bobby showed at Valencia, and is still only 22 - he'll want to prove to his teammates and fans that he's worth relying on, even without scoring, and so he tends to retreat into the non-scoring aspects of his game. At least, that's the way I see it.

people have often said the same thing about Kane though tbf, regarding him drifting out wide/coming short to get involved - he probably would be better served staying in the middle but sometimes (quite often) our attacking midfielders dwell on the ball and id imagine it gets frustrating staying in the middle and making runs and no one making the pass. Id wager if he did stay central and barely touched the ball as a result we'd see complaints that he needs to get involved more and make things happen etc

Actually here is an example

can you name one other player that you can think of that when his team mate has the ball on the wing with a crossing posture..that the player runs to the near / ball side of the box and plays the hold up game.

Not talking about running the channel to the wing position so your winger can play 1-2s with you or cut in for you to lay off..i mean literally run to the ball side of the box and start playing a hold up game in the box WITHOUT the ball

i cant think of one person that does this as consistent as janssen has done in a few matches, i am sure there are others out there ..i just cant think of them

The only thing is that Poch most likely has seen this and given the kid the thumbs up..otherwise he wouldnt keep doing it consistently

I dont mind him as a squad player....but considering we were looking at Mane (yes yes rumours), i dont think the amount we shelled out for him was warranted based on anything he has done prior.

put it this way...Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans didn't feel bad once they suggested amount of money bid for him was announced..and they would know surely...

Mane... mane always gets compared to sissoko but he went for £36m (rumoured to be up front) and double the rumoured wages

He is playing well for pool but he isn't Better IMO than any of our starters

No one would argue £30m is value for money but he now has 4 assist so is on par with Ozil

This is a player who hasn't been great for us

But he is getting better and he is here to improve the squad

Last edited:

can you name one other player that you can think of that when his team mate has the ball on the wing with a crossing posture..that the player runs to the near / ball side of the box and plays the hold up game.

Not talking about running the channel to the wing position so your winger can play 1-2s with you or cut in for you to lay off..i mean literally run to the ball side of the box and start playing a hold up game in the box WITHOUT the ball

i cant think of one person that does this as consistent as janssen has done in a few matches, i am sure there are others out there ..i just cant think of them

The only thing is that Poch most likely has seen this and given the kid the thumbs up..otherwise he wouldnt keep doing it consistently

i think Kane plays a similar way at times, especially after a run of games where he hasn't scored - i remember seeing a similar 'breakdown' of where he was going wrong on MoTD last season (iirc) where he was pulling wide/deep and leaving the goal area unattended. If you mean other than Kane then i have to say i don't watch enough football outside of Spurs to offer much of an opinion.

Happily take this to the Sissoko thread to discuss with you but suffice to say disagree with you and very much agree with Bedford.

From the YouTube videos it didn't appear to me that defenders marked so tightly in Holland. Whereas In the PL as soon as he gets the ball players are on him. He is good at holding those players off and his first touch seems good but unfortunately when he receives the ball he either has his back to goal and can't spin and shoot or he is too far out to take a meaningful shot. He also doesn't appear to have the nimbleness of someone like Defoe or Keane to shift and make space when crowded. Basically he needs to occupy the 6 yard box or be released earlier by team mates when he is facing the right way.

Very true, and we saw the same thing with Soldado. To his credit, he'd come out and lead the line well at first, but when the inevitable horror miss would arrive (as it usually did), he'd retreat into his shell and focus on the non-scoring elements of his role for the rest of the game. He did them quite well - closed down, distributed the ball, offered himself as an option for players on the wing/in midfield, and so on...but his destiny was only ever going to change if he kept himself in the box and focused on scoring instead of being a good team player.

However...I think that sort of instinctive goal-chasing is hard to keep doing when you're struggling to put them away. Bobby had an interview with Sid Lowe of the Guardian a while back (I think it was in April last year, when Villarreal played Liverpool) where he talked about how his time at Spurs essentially changed him as a player, and made him far more focused on supporting other forwards than on scoring himself. He talked about it with a tinge of regret (I felt) - said that he arrived at Spurs as a player that thought about nothing but getting on the end of crosses and passes, but left as a far less focused striker. To his credit, he made the most of it at Villarreal last season - he did very well as the support striker for Bakambu, who led the line. But you felt reading that interview that he regretted that it had to happen that way.

That's what a run without goals did to a striker with an enormous pedigree at the top level with Valencia - one who led the team he played with at Valencia, and one who arrived at Spurs at the age of 27 (iirc). It's really harsh on Janssen to expect him to remain single-minded in the face of a goalscoring drought given that he's arrived without much of a pedigree to his name, seems like an amiable and professional lad but one without the leadership qualities that Bobby showed at Valencia, and is still only 22 - he'll want to prove to his teammates and fans that he's worth relying on, even without scoring, and
so he tends to retreat into the non-scoring aspects of his game. At least, that's the way I see it.

I think his problems are very different to Soldado's. Easy to conflate the 2 non scoring Spurs strikers but their similarities end their imo. Soldado occupied the right areas but could not hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Janssen simply does not get into enough goal scoring positions. What you are seeing is someone playing the role of lone striker winning the ball holding off defenders and bringing others into play like Kane but unlike Kane does not then get himself into the right areas or is expecting passes and cut backs that never come.

rooney when paired with ronaldo at united?

Back