• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VDV

Of course we we can live without VdV! We are Tottenham Hotspur, we are bigger than any player!

But for me we should try and keep him. He represents traits we need in our club...passion (think goalcelebration v Arsenal), class (for me the goal against Swansea is a good example) and he has a winning mentality!

I absolutely think he can adapt to a CM role if he has the right players around him. Remember Sandro and Parker cover a lot of space, they do that when our midfield two are alone after Bale/Lennon bombs the opponent.

Spurs exodus set to continue with £9.5m sale of Van der Vaart to Hamburg

Fans' favourite Rafael van der Vaart is on the verge of completing a return to former club Hamburg as Andre Villas-Boas continues his radical restructuring of Tottenham's squad.

The Spurs boss has already sanctioned the departures of six first-team players, with more set to follow Van der Vaart out of the exit door.

All that is left to be agreed to complete the deal is a transfer fee, with Spurs holding out for £9.5million, according to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

Van der Vaart arrived at White Hart Lane two years ago in an £8m deal from Real Madrid and quickly achieved cult status, scoring valuable goals for the club in the Champions League and Premier League.

Recent arrival Gylfi Sigurdsson assumes the attacking midfield role in Villas-Boas' new-look side, and Van der Vaart had to make do with a place on the bench in last week's opening day defeat at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

With the 100-cap Dutchman's first-team opportunities to continue to be limited this season, Spurs have decided to cash-in on the 29-year-old.

Van der Vaart played for Hamburg between 2005 and 2008, netting 48 goals in 112 appearances for the club.

Sebastian Bassong, Vedran Corluka, Steven Pienaar, Niko Kranjcar, Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha have already left White Hart Lane this summer, with Sigurdsson, Jan Vertonghen and Emmanuel Adebayor the only arrivals so far.

Tom Huddlestone, Michael Dawson, Heurelho Gomes, Jermaine Jenas and David Bentley also look set to leave the Lane before the close of the transfer window next week, allowing Villas-Boas room for manouevre in the transfer market.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2192400/Rafael-van-der-Vaart-join-Hamburg-9-5m-deal.html

Dawson, Bassong, Nelsen, King, Rose, Corluka, Kranjcar, Jenas, Huddlestone, Bentley, VDV, Pienaar, Modric, and Saha all look likey they won't be around from last seasons squad. We need to bring in 4 players if all that happens tbh (5 if Defoe goes too).

Dawson, Bassong, Nelsen, King, Rose, Corluka, Kranjcar, Jenas, Huddlestone, Bentley, VDV, Pienaar, Modric, and Saha all look likey they won't be around from last seasons squad. We need to bring in 4 players if all that happens tbh (5 if Defoe goes too).

I'd move over to the 'squad makeup' thread.. :p

I see absolutely no reason why WE would want to sell him, which is why I wonder if its more the case that HE wants to go

Nah i'm thinking we want him gone tbh. Isco and Willian both can play that position and obviously we have Sigurddson. Think it's a case of AVB not that bothered if he leaves and Levy thinking this is the last year where we could possibly mug a team off into paying a big/biggish amount for him.

I can see the Levy angle to a degree, but given the amount of restructuring we need to do to the squad now is not the right time for more frivolous moves. A striker, a Modric replacement and possibly a keeper are far more important than wasting time on swapping out quality for young pretenders (who may or may not come good)

AVB, I would imagine, would see VDV as a leader, experienced head and top class player. Not someone to give up readily.

At this time.... is the context Im thinking. If it were next summer? Yeah Ill buy that, team and manager settled, no overhaul required, just a bit of swapping out... This summer? I dont think its a move we would promote.

VDV is a very good player and I've been delighted to have him at the club, but if money like this means we can move in to get another striker and potentially some more cover in other areas then fair enough. I don't think for one minute that the club is trying to push him out of the door - he seems to like it here. But yet again, he loved it at Hamburg as well - and his wife works in Germany herself.

Whatever happens, I wish him the best of luck!

I hate to upset the grain of movement on this thread, but unlike most of you, I dont rate VDV that highly at all,, Yes he is a good player, but his lack of speed and seemingly lack of fitness always makes it appear to me that he is struggling.. Dont get me wrong, i have nothing personal against him, but I can live with someone else in his role for sure..

I hate to upset the grain of movement on this thread, but unlike most of you, I dont rate VDV that highly at all,, Yes he is a good player, but his lack of speed and seemingly lack of fitness always makes it appear to me that he is struggling.. Dont get me wrong, i have nothing personal against him, but I can live with someone else in his role for sure..

You play Fifa? what does speed have to do with anything? Some of the best players to ever grace the footballing world have not been the quickest.

Back