• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VDV

This is becoming quite clear. I fully agree with fast athletic players being a great way forward. However I think quality on the ball is of more importance and having a mix of players in the squad is also important.

I just hope AVB puts as much emphasis on attacking, creating and scoring goals as he seems to do on tactical and athletic players. I would have thought Hudd and VDV have shown that even though they are not great off the ball they have more than enough quality to play a part in a top 4 team. We dont need a squad of identical players.

But I dont think VDV is our best player, hes in a group of about 6 players (Bale, Ade, Lennon, Parker, Kaboul, VDV) who I would say our are better performers.

Absolutely - I don't want to watch 11 robots. Agree we need a system and 8/9 players playing to that. But Spurs always have and always will need one or two magicians who don't fit a system and conjure something up out of nothing. VDV fits the bill.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has made it clear he has no intention of selling Rafael van der Vaart this summer.

Van der Vaart has been an undoubted success since he signed from Real Madrid two years ago, but the Dutchman had to settle for a place on the bench last week at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, with Villas-Boas selecting Gylfi Sigurdsson for his first game in charge.

The midfielder, who scored 14 goals for club and country last term, has been strongly linked with a return to Hamburg, where his wife Sylvie works.

The 29-year-old fuelled talk of a return to Germany when he said earlier this summer that he still "loves" the city where he spent three years before moving to Real Madrid.

Villas-Boas refused to guarantee that Van der Vaart would be at Spurs when the transfer window closes in eight days' time, but when asked whether it was his intention to sell the Holland international, the Portuguese said: "No, on the contrary. He's a player of great importance for us, a player I count on.

Not for sale

Ins and outs at Spurs
"I'm not sure if Hamburg are interested but he's a player who at the moment is not for sale.

"Anything can happen but he's a player we are counting on."

Spurs put great effort into landing Sigurdsson this summer amid strong interest from Liverpool.
Villas-Boas seems to have a lot of faith in the former Hoffenheimplayer, but denied that Van der Vaart is no longer in his first-team plans.

"Rafa was very unlucky because when he came from his vacation after the Euros he got injured in the game against LA Galaxy so he missed most of our pre-season in America and Sigurdsson was with us all pre-season," said the boss.

"He couldn't therefore play against Watford and Valencia so he came back late for selection and it was pretty straightforward to select Sigurdsson for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game.

"Now Rafa has trained with us all week and he's looking strong and in contention."

One happy yid over here, love Rafa

Beautiful. Very glad to read that. Pressing is only one aspect of the game and you keep possession then you don't have to do as much of it.

Beautiful. Very glad to read that. Pressing is only one aspect of the game and you keep possession then you don't have to do as much of it.

See, I read his quotes there and they are basically screaming to me that if Hamburg come up with a reasonable price, Rafa will be gone. I have no idea how people can read AVB's quotes and take that as definitive that he wants him to stay. He may well yet still stay, but really those quotes are so qualified in every sentence. I'm actually really impressed with AVB's ability to play the media the way he is doing.

Don't agree that we need different players and only 8 or 9 playing to a system. I think the whole squad, 23 players should be suited to it. I'm fed up with our ideal formation being 2 wingers and playing with pace and width, and then when one of them gets injured shunting out one of our creative mavericks out wide and playing a totally different game.

I want us to have a set formation of how we want to play, and I want the back ups to be able to come in and carry it off the exact same way so we aren't changing about. AVB clearly values creativity and goals, but I think the issue with Rafa is that he is slightly older where as Siggy is younger, and therefore can be sold off as he is in the final 2 years of his contract and we can bring someone in more happier to fight for a place. Rafa will think he should be playing every week, and that isn't healthy for a squad.

See, I read his quotes there and they are basically screaming to me that if Hamburg come up with a reasonable price, Rafa will be gone. I have no idea how people can read AVB's quotes and take that as definitive that he wants him to stay. He may well yet still stay, but really those quotes are so qualified in every sentence. I'm actually really impressed with AVB's ability to play the media the way he is doing.

Don't agree that we need different players and only 8 or 9 playing to a system. I think the whole squad, 23 players should be suited to it. I'm fed up with our ideal formation being 2 wingers and playing with pace and width, and then when one of them gets injured shunting out one of our creative mavericks out wide and playing a totally different game.

I want us to have a set formation of how we want to play, and I want the back ups to be able to come in and carry it off the exact same way so we aren't changing about. AVB clearly values creativity and goals, but I think the issue with Rafa is that he is slightly older where as Siggy is younger, and therefore can be sold off as he is in the final 2 years of his contract and we can bring someone in more happier to fight for a place. Rafa will think he should be playing every week, and that isn't healthy for a squad.

When I read those quotes and also consider VDV previous comments on not leaving (after the Euros I think) then it gives me a lot more confidence that he's staying. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I'm a glass half full type of guy.

And in my own opinion VDV is a definite starter if available. Siggy has yet to convince me, but needless to say it's early days yet. I'd like nothing more than to see VDV end his days here. We're not going to get much money for him and certainly won't be able to buy a player of equal class for the money we receive so why would we sell?

I agree with your point on playing to a system, in fact I think it is essential for a club of our financial standing if we want to compete at the sharp end of the table, but what I don't see is why VDV is somehow not able to play to this system. He is not the fastest I agree, but then again why does he have to be. I don't see Xavi or Alonso as speed merchants either but they can press the ball when required. What these players have, as does VDV, is the ability to retain the ball and recycle possession and that for me trumps being a super athletic type.

I don't see Xavi or Alonso as speed merchants either but they can press the ball when required. What these players have, as does VDV, is the ability to retain the ball and recycle possession and that for me trumps being a super athletic type. BANG ON THE MONEY CHAP ...

I don't see Xavi or Alonso as speed merchants either but they can press the ball when required. What these players have, as does VDV, is the ability to retain the ball and recycle possession and that for me trumps being a super athletic type. BANG ON THE MONEY CHAP ...

Superbly put - pace means nothing without a brain on how to use it effeciently

When I read those quotes and also consider VDV previous comments on not leaving (after the Euros I think) then it gives me a lot more confidence that he's staying. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I'm a glass half full type of guy.

And in my own opinion VDV is a definite starter if available. Siggy has yet to convince me, but needless to say it's early days yet. I'd like nothing more than to see VDV end his days here. We're not going to get much money for him and certainly won't be able to buy a player of equal class for the money we receive so why would we sell?

I agree with your point on playing to a system, in fact I think it is essential for a club of our financial standing if we want to compete at the sharp end of the table, but what I don't see is why VDV is somehow not able to play to this system. He is not the fastest I agree, but then again why does he have to be. I don't see Xavi or Alonso as speed merchants either but they can press the ball when required. What these players have, as does VDV, is the ability to retain the ball and recycle possession and that for me trumps being a super athletic type.

I agree that Rafa can definitely play the system in Siggy's role, in a 4-2-3-1. I think maybe the reason we may be considering moving him on is because this may be the last chance we may be able to get any money for him to bring a younger player in his position in, the fact that we won't be able to keep both him and Siggy happy, and because if we are to eventually transition to 4-3-3 I don't think he will be as suited.

But I reckon AVB is quite relaxed about keeping him for this season as he plays his 4-2-3-1, if a decent offer is not made to us. It will be a bit of a challenge to keep him happy, but it's a nice problem, as Jol used to say about keeping his 4 strikers happy. But if not this summer, then probably next, I reckon he will be gone as AVB moves more towards his ideal shape.

Excellent post. it is why, IMHO, we MUST develop Carroll this season as he has all the tools to be "the man" for us for years to come in precisely this regard...

Re: Poll: Would you be happy if VDV was sold?

but if we managed to get more than 15m for him and it helped us get moutinho + willian, then probably yes.

silver linings and all that.

That's the only thought that keeps me going; however can we replace his goals, his arrogance in the big games (e.g. vs Arsenal and Liverpool away) and his genuine love for playing football - and his love fpr Spurs?

Big gamble, amongst many big gambles ..

That's the only thought that keeps me going; however can we replace his goals, his arrogance in the big games (e.g. vs Arsenal and Liverpool away) and his genuine love for playing football - and his love fpr Spurs?

Big gamble, amongst many big gambles ..

i'm not so sure about his love for spurs, i think the notion has been invented by our fans.. in fact i'd say his love for HSV is greater and if he leaves for them, that will be an influential factor.

No, really don't want to see VDV or Lennon go.

VDV because he's our true class player and the attitude/desire he brings (as well as goals/assists/passes)

Lennon because I think we always look more threatening with him playing, in form and fit (non injured) he is a very scary player for the opposition, as well I feel he has almost grown up with us.

The money for either both would not be worth the trade for me.

Only an idiot would sell him now.
When we're under pressure, it's usually VDV who breaks the deadlock. He has an influence over games far in excess of his bare stats suggest.

Back