• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I will say it now, either in the Semi or the Final we will get royally fudged over by VAR

It's written in the stars

Hopefully it will stop a goal being given when it didnt cross the line (a-la-Chelsea s/fl)
and
When a ball goes over the line and not given.

I am told everything even itself out...I am still waiting for these two to come back to us

I bet VAR gets pilloried for this, sounds like another example of it working.

This is the point, its making the right decision - but in the wrong way.

Im a big advocate of VAR, but the way they are implementing it is ridiculously bad.

Seriously, Dads on the sidelines with iphones and a bluetooth headset at kids Sunday league would do a better job of integrating it.

The decision made was correct, Im sure - but why blow for half time, and why make the decision 7 minutes later?

Why wasnt there a brief delay there and then and the penalty awarded?

We all know from watching TV, any incident can be shown instantly from all angles (more or less). THe video ref should be on things like that straight away, in constant contact with the ref and able to award a decision himself.

The whole "the on field ref needs to review" thing is utter flimflam and the primary reason the VAR implementation sucks.

Var will ONLY improve if it is used......as keep telling the wife.......:oops:

Seriously some of the current officials should not be trusted with the information board let alone VAR.

Var will ONLY improve if it is used......as keep telling the wife.......:oops:

Seriously some of the current officials should not be trusted with the information board let alone VAR.

I think the premier league made the right choice in not implementing it yet. Let it continue at the WC, in the cups next season (like this) and use them as a proving ground to iron out the kinks.

I think the premier league made the right choice in not implementing it yet. Let it continue at the WC, in the cups next season (like this) and use them as a proving ground to iron out the kinks.

The "kinks" are in the carbon data unit operators, not the software.
Whenever it is finally given the OK which it will there will be huge roosterups simply because its new. We need to get our gerihatricks group of refs working with as soon as, putting of is just postponing the agony.

It will take time to get VAR working anywhere near smoothly, at least 4 to 6 seasons to get to a similar standard to cricket. Waiting till after WC is putting off a trip to the dentist, its going to painful until its sorted.

I disagree, completely.

While the refs themselves could really do with improving, its the fundamental implementation that is the problem.

Everything is still down to the on field ref, thats why it takes so long and thats why its do disjointed. Even though there are qualified refs all around the pitch, and watching on the video.

It is a fundamentally stupid way to try and make it work.

Much simpler, and slicker, is to allow the video ref to make decisions and relay them to the on field ref.

Until they get their head around this no implementation will ever be good.

And yet, if they do get their head around it I see no reason why it would take anything like as long as 4 seasons for it to become virtually seamless.

Nothing wrong with anything you said.
Especially giving greater power to the video ref, it’s a no brainer!
But let’s get it started.
What is the point of delaying the evolution?

May have been covered already but what would VAR have done with the Real Madrid penalty in the last minute v Juve last week?

May have been covered already but what would VAR have done with the Real Madrid penalty in the last minute v Juve last week?

We will never know, but these type situations happen all the time. So why postpone the inevitable and let’s start sorting these types problems/situations.

Timing was crap!
Penalty!
I agree, but plenty of people don’t. I guess my point is had VAR been used there, no matter what the final decision was 50% of people will think it’s wrong, so no different to how it panned out without VAR and no controversy avoided.

Too many incidents in football like that are debatable. If they could do something with offsides and in/out the penalty box (like Hugo on Saturday) then that would be a good start to it all, but offsides are very hard to do quickly.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with anything you said.
Especially giving greater power to the video ref, it’s a no brainer!
But let’s get it started.
What is the point of delaying the evolution?

It can evolve perfectly well outside of the premier league, and then come in when its a more complete/cohesive package.

As I say, the biggest issue is the approach. using cup games etc its easier to tinker - you couldnt possibly be inconsistent once its implemented in a league situation.

It can evolve perfectly well outside of the premier league, and then come in when its a more complete/cohesive package.

As I say, the biggest issue is the approach. using cup games etc its easier to tinker - you couldnt possibly be inconsistent once its implemented in a league situation.

But you will be saying the same in the season after next and so on.
It’s like the stabilisers on a bike, sometimes you just have to go for it!

This isnt one of those times.

And as soon as they approach it right, progress will come.

Just shoving it into a league situation wont help it improve until the thinking behind it changes.

And trying to develop something using the league? Forget it.

I agree, but plenty of people don’t. I guess my point is had VAR been used there, no matter what the final decision was 50% of people will think it’s wrong, so no different to how it panned out without VAR and no controversy avoided.

Too many incidents in football like that are debatable. .

Again agree with this, this is where VAR will fail ultimately, the debatable decision where a decision is made but takes longer to get to but is then debated to high heaven despite VAR.

I am totally against it being on the biggest stage in football whilst its still in the state it is

Back