• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

The problem with VAR is that it robs us of the best part about football which is going apebrick when a goal goes in. That's the payback. Taking that away is like sex without the climax. Yeah the foreplay is enjoyable and entertaining but you all know what you want. Harry Kane shooting his load ...er...of goals all over you. OK, this analogy is going south but you know what I mean.

I was on the fence about it before they tried it but in its current implementation it does not add to the game. So fudge it. Either forget about it or go back to drawing board and come up with something better.

Last edited:
The problem with VAR is that it robs us of the best part about football which is going apebrick when a goal goes in. That's the payback. Taking that away is like sex without the climax. Yeah the foreplay is enjoyable and entertaining but you all know what you want. Harry Kane shooting his load ...er...of goals all over you. OK, this analogy is going south but you know what I mean.

I was on the fence about it before they tried it but in its current implementation it does not add to the game. So fudge it. Either forget about it or go back to drawing board and come up with something better.
VAR doesn't stop rugby fans celebrating

No but we're talking about the instant after you've 'scored' when you first go mental then find yourself suspended in a weird co.cktail of dread, bewilderment and anticipation as the ref puts his finger to his ear for what seems an eternity.

Yes we may still go wild once a goal is confirmed but VAR cannot but impair once and for all that ecstatic spell of abandonment the instant we witness the ball hitting the back of the net.

No but we're talking about the instant after you've 'scored' when you first go mental then find yourself suspended in a weird co.cktail of dread, bewilderment and anticipation as the ref puts his finger to his ear for what seems an eternity.

Yes we may still go wild once a goal is confirmed but VAR cannot but impair once and for all that ecstatic spell of abandonment the instant we witness the ball hitting the back of the net.
Not a problem in rugby. Admittedly the fans, on the whole, are far more cognitively capable than your average football fan.

Well different sport and all, but I can only go on what I have seen so far and I don't like it. I'm not against technology in the game, quite the opposite in fact, but the current implementation doesn't do it for me. As a team Spurs have had our fair share of game changing moments going against us that VAR likely would have rectified but I'm willing to accept these mistakes as part of the sport if the cost to the overall experience is too great. And we have also seen that even with the benefit of VAR they are still getting some decisions wrong. Change it or forget it is where I'm at.

Well different sport and all, but I can only go on what I have seen so far and I don't like it. I'm not against technology in the game, quite the opposite in fact, but the current implementation doesn't do it for me. As a team Spurs have had our fair share of game changing moments going against us that VAR likely would have rectified but I'm willing to accept these mistakes as part of the sport if the cost to the overall experience is too great. And we have also seen that even with the benefit of VAR they are still getting some decisions wrong. Change it or forget it is where I'm at.
The whole reason I wanted VAR was to eradicate obviously poor decisions which can be caused by incompetence, big team / Home team / corruption bias. We were fortunate to have some odd decisions made because of VAR not impact us because of the disparity of the team we were playing but could you imagine the impact of decisions like Sons penalty in a cup final v the likes of Chelsea?
It was almost like they brought it in with all the worst parts of it to make people not want it. A sceptic might wonder why one would not want to remove poor decisions from the game..
If we’re going to do it it needs to be done with a finite number of decisions and triggers discussed and agreed with a selection of reps from all levels of football. Maybe with a limited number of scenarios to start with and let it evolve.

Anything that takes more than one view of a replay cannot be seen as a wrong decision mid game as that’s all a referee or Lino would get to see. Looking for reasons to disallow every goal doesn’t work for the fan experience (they are so rare it’s different to egg chasing, if we are to take one thing from that game it has to be the way referees are treated by players at all levels)
The challenge style like tennis would be abused by managers looking to disrupt rhythm (managers would challenge any last minute winner just for the sake of it)
The bit I’m undecided on is the overall power, if it becomes the eye in the sky does this mean referees will make even less bold or contentious decisions and give the auto pilot syndrome.

I still dispute decisions in Fifa, so even PlayStation football won’t solve all our problems!!

Davies was a red, but what about Delph with the forearm in the face?
Or sterling clear block and shirt pull in the build of to the pen, moss was standing watching that one.

Players called back to pitch for penalty during half-time amid Mainz VAR chaos

Mainz’s Bunesliga match against Freiburg could be set for a place in the record books after the home side scored just under seven minutes into half-time - and after the players had been allowed to leave the pitch.

In the dying seconds of the first half, Mainz had an appeal for handball turned down by referee Guido Winkmann, with the scores still at 0-0. Winkmann then blew for the break, allowing the players to go in for half-time – only for the VAR official to give the handball and award a penalty .

Freiburg’s players had to be summoned from the dressing room and back onto the pitch to allow the home side to take their penalty. Six minutes and 44 seconds after the first 45 minutes were up, Pablo de Blasis stroked home to put his side a goal up and to allow both teams to head off the pitch for half-time again.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ck-penalty-half-time-mainz-freiburg-var-chaos

Players called back to pitch for penalty during half-time amid Mainz VAR chaos

Mainz’s Bunesliga match against Freiburg could be set for a place in the record books after the home side scored just under seven minutes into half-time - and after the players had been allowed to leave the pitch.

In the dying seconds of the first half, Mainz had an appeal for handball turned down by referee Guido Winkmann, with the scores still at 0-0. Winkmann then blew for the break, allowing the players to go in for half-time – only for the VAR official to give the handball and award a penalty .

Freiburg’s players had to be summoned from the dressing room and back onto the pitch to allow the home side to take their penalty. Six minutes and 44 seconds after the first 45 minutes were up, Pablo de Blasis stroked home to put his side a goal up and to allow both teams to head off the pitch for half-time again.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ck-penalty-half-time-mainz-freiburg-var-chaos

ridiculous

Back