• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Disagree! A release clause just means that the selling club has to allow the player to talk to any club offering that amount. But if several clubs are interested and the player is undecided you could still have an auction situation on both the transfer fee and the personal terms for the player.

I don't understand why the transfer fee would change. It does not make sense to me.

If you have bid 17m and are allowed to talk to the player as it meets his release fee, what do you gain by offering 20m? You get to talk to the player as it's over his release fee. You don't gain anything.

How would this be an auction?

Selling club doesn't decide where a player is to go, that's up to the player, it's not slavery (anymore).
If a release clause is met, selling club can't turn down the offer, and they are forced to sell if player want the move.
A player's release clause if he has one is not a secret, his agent will make sure of that.
There's no stopping a club to bid more than the release club, but it's unlikely as any move will be down to the player's decision when the release clause is met.

I don't understand why the transfer fee would change. It does not make sense to me.

If you have bid 17m and are allowed to talk to the player as it meets his release fee, what do you gain by offering 20m? You get to talk to the player as it's over his release fee. You don't gain anything.

How would this be an auction?

I take your point - but there are examples where players move for more than their release clause, most recently Thiago who Barca say is going to Bayern for EUR25mn, when it was widely reported that his release clause had been slashed from EUR77mn to EUR18mn because he hadn't played enough games last season to sustain the higher trigger. In this case the details of why the difference have not been disclosed but conceivably he'd agreed personal terms with both Utd and Bayern, Bayern offered Barca more money and Barca pressured him to make that decision. They may not have been able to prevent him signing for Utd (if indeed he had agreed terms) but may have been able to exert pressure in other ways (maybe a bonus?) to persuade him to take the better deal for them. Appreciate this is speculative but it certainly appears that Bayern are paying more than the release clause...

Release clauses in Spain can only be activated by spanish clubs, if a foreign club want to take advantage of the release clause it is the player himself that must buy out his contract.
When this happens (player buy out his own contract) there's taxes involved when player is due compensation from buying club (income) which makes the transfer much more expensive.
Most of the time spanish selling and foreign buying club come to an agreement to avoid tax to be involved, a price will be set somewhere in between the release clause and the total amount it would have cost to buy out contract+taxes

Last edited:
That's what bayern did with javi Martinez last year. Bilbao absolutely refused to deal with bayern, and bayern simply paid Javi to buy out his own contract. But somehow they figured out a way to avoid tax, on top of the release clause.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 11m

Tottenham have bid 7m € for Coentrao, according to spanish first radio Cadena Ser. Of course bid already rejected by Real Madrid

Coentrao is the man I want us to have as our LB by the start of the season, I think he would compliment Walker, felt that since the Euros last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23323391

We had a move to the Premier [League] in mind but then Atleti appeared and within three days all my personal terms had been agreed," Villa said.

"From a career point of view, they weren't lacking anything. They finished third in La Liga and will play in the Champions League. They beat Real Madrid to win the Copa del Rey.

These quotes show you just how quickly these things can turn around. Three days may not sound like small period but in the World of negotiations it most probably feels like minutes to those involved.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 11m

Tottenham have bid 7m € for Coentrao, according to spanish first radio Cadena Ser. Of course bid already rejected by Real Madrid

Coentrao is the man I want us to have as our LB by the start of the season, I think he would compliment Walker, felt that since the Euros last year.

:ross:

1342637596_baby_spits_pacifier.gif

its about a month to the new season. is it only me or do transfers seem a bit slow this time. given that there was the bonus tv money, i'd expected all the mid table clubs to have started improving their squad. or has levy time caught on?

People paying of debts.. don't all EPL clubs need to be self sufficient and with minimum debt. Like Villa with over 100m in debt. Benteke is a cert to leave just because of this, or Lerner eats up all the debt like Abramovich did and why Al Fayed sold Fulham.

People paying of debts.. don't all EPL clubs need to be self sufficient and with minimum debt. Like Villa with over 100m in debt. Benteke is a cert to leave just because of this, or Lerner eats up all the debt like Abramovich did and why Al Fayed sold Fulham.

Isn't most of that debt owed to Lerner? Interest free of course.

Doesn't matter whether its Lerner or the bank, the club owns that debt. Why would Abramovich eat up the debt like he did. Can people see Lerner doing the same at Villa, I don't, the guy is penny pinching right now looking for someone to buy. I think until that happens Villa will be run on a basis of young players being sold for large amounts till which time that debt is brought down and becomes a better propostion for outside investors. Al Fayed sold up IMO getting out whilst cutting his loses, although also because he couldn't now spend to keep Fulham in the premiership. I think Al Fayed was one of the reported people against the new rulings.

The debt is probably convenient for tax purposes, but turning it into equity wouldn't stop him from taking money out of the club if he wanted to. Don't think they'll be stupid enough to fall foul of FFP should they qualify for Europe at some point.

EPL rules are more stringent than Uefa rules.. to avoid punishment from the EPL they would qualify for Europe every year.. that's how I read the new rules anyway.

Every club has to reduce its debt, some have done it by owners righting it off others by selling star players.

For Lerner to get his money it would need to go through the Villa books now. Either that or right the debts off.

I'd bet money that Villa don't spend vast amounts in this window, the 'extra' TV money going to pay off Lerner, selling Benteke gets them there quicker. Maybe sorting there debts in two seasons. Remember Lerner bought Villa to make money not lose.

its the same for Tottenhams debt, Levy will no doubt use the stadium money to clear them considering the majority of it is from the training ground and buying land around the stadium. If they didn't have that option would you expect Levy or Lewis to right off that 80m (I would), of course not, it would come from player sales, and a weaker transfer pot.

Don't see the problem. Spurs are just lining up a player they have no interest in buying to replace a player we have no interest in selling.

Paptinkle Cisse's pulled out of Saudi Sportswashing Machine's tour. Bet Levy would love a last minute bid if this isn't resolved

Back