• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs S.L. Benfica OMT ***

Do you really think he is or is it an illusion because he can run fast? Besides, working hard should be a prerequisite, he's an attacking player in an attacking position yet he offers nothing in that regard.

1 goal and 2 assists all season.
He can do so much more than that. He's turning into the new Dirk Kuyt.

I would much rather have a team of lennons who give 100% than a team of Verts who don't give a ****.

Our left side is potentially horrible with Eriksen drifting inside and Naughton right footed. Therefore we will only attack down the right. Therefore Lennon will get no space as their defence will shift across. Therefore we will look clueless IMO.

I'm not sure what Kane is supposed to do... he doesn't have the pace or game to play wide, so I guess he will fill a hole in the middle but... for me he will not cut the mustard against good opposition that are not yet tired (i.e. he often comes on in the last few minutes).

Will be interesting to see how they line up.

What is Benfica's team like... who are their star men?

PS - Interesting to see Kaboul captain ahead of Vertonghen.

All we need to do is Convince azza blud that he is playing against evra/man utd every single game!

thats how we get more out of him.

They've conceded 1 goal in 16? Fu.ck me

BBC
Tottenham: Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Naughton, Lennon, Paulinho, Sandro, Eriksen, Adebayor, Kane. Subs: Friedel, Rose, Soldado, Townsend, Chadli, Fryers, Bentaleb.
Benfica: Oblak, Silvio, Luisao, Garay, Siqueira, Fejsa, Ruben Amorim, Sulejmani, Rodrigo, Cardozo, Markovic. Subs: Artur Moraes, Djuricic, Lima, Gaitan, Jardel, Andre Almeida, Perez.
Referee: Jonas Eriksson (Sweden)
Tottenham v Benfica (20:05 GMT)

Posted at 19:12
Tottenham youngster Harry Kane makes his second start of the season, alongside striker Emmanuel Adebayor. Danish playmaker Christian Eriksen shakes off a back problem to take his place in the side while Younes Kaboul is captain in the absence of Michael Dawson, who misses out with a hamstring problem.
Towering striker Oscar Cardozo starts for Benfica after recovering from a back injury, and Bosnian Miralem Sulejmani comes in to the side, too. But tricky midfielder Nicolas Gaitan has to make do with a place on the bench. Captain Luisao and Ezequiel Garay, who have conceded just one goal in the last 16 games, marshal the central defence again

Apart from Naughton played out of position, I think that's a very strong Spurs team with two key partnerships - Kaboul & Vertonghen in central defence and Sandro & Paulinho in central midfield.

A lot of rotating in Benfica's team. A goalie I've never heard of, no Maxi Pereira, Ruben Amorim is a rotation player and so is Sulejmani.

We could take this, provided we don't defend like idiots like on Saturday.

Jorge Jesus clearly counting on the first team to turn us over in Lisbon. We shouldn't give them a chance.

Would have liked to see Rose/Fryers instead of Naughton and Soldado for Kane, otherwise that's a good team!

not happy with Pauli as our ball-playing midfielder. he sucks at that. can't blame him if he plays poorly, he's just being played out of position.

he'll probably score 2 now

I think Kane is in to sit behind Ade so we are tighter at the back. IF needed Soldado can come on later and score his late hat-trick.

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He could be on the left with Eriksen behind Ade in a 4-2-3-1

Oh dear, this 442 article scares me. Sorry if already posted. Interesting points about work rate, control, balance, free scoring versus defence etc.

How bruised Benfica found balance and bounced back - and why Spurs should worry

12 March 2014
Tom Kundert

Two weeks before the end of last season, Benfica’s fans were in dreamland. A fortnight later, though, the dream had turned into a nightmare; from being strong favourites to complete a domestic double and being in the final of a European competition for the first time in over two decades, they ended up with nothing. The nature of those defeats made it even worse. Against Porto in the championship decider, and Chelsea in the Europa League final, the Eagles twice succumbed to stoppage-time goals.

Suddenly coach Jorge Jesus's position was uncertain, despite a five-year tenure restoring Benfica, a historical giant of the European game, to a serious force. But president Luís Felipe Vieira stuck by his man, against the wishes of several other board members and the majority of supporters. The pressure increased on Jesus when a stuttering start to the season saw Benfica fall five points behind bitter northern rivals Porto, despite a significant summer outlay on new recruits.

When the club failed to negotiate a seemingly straightforward Champions League group containing Olympiakos and Anderlecht, and thus bringing a premature end to their dream of playing the final in their own stadium, the president again resisted the temptation to sack Jesus.

What has transpired since has fully vindicated Vieira’s faith and brought the coach back into favour. Benfica have been in sensational form over the past four months - only a different kind of sensational. Not the free-scoring, high-octane, non-stop attacking machine that has characterised the team over the previous four seasons. This devoutness to the mantra of goalscoring inevitably led to vulnerability at the other end of the pitch. It seemed JJ’s legacy was to be thrills and spills all the way, with precious little to show for it in terms of major silverware. Everyone’s favourite nearly men, if you like.

But Benfica and their boss have learned from their mistakes. You no longer see swathes of red shirts tearing up the pitch for 90 minutes. The secret of Benfica’s success this season has been balance. Goals continue to flow at a healthy rate, but it is the way they defend that has underpinned their astonishing run of form. Benfica have won 21 and drawn two of their last 23 matches, and are currently on an eight-game winning streak. Most remarkably, the Lisbon giants have conceded just one goal in their last 16 matches.

Young Slovenian goalkeeper Jan Oblak, captain Luisão, his centre-back partner Ezequiel Garay and the regularly rotated set of full-backs have been rock solid. But it is the way the team defends as a unit and effortlessly controls the tempo of matches that has impressed most. Ironically, the sale of Benfica’s best player last season, holding midfielder Nemanja Matic to Chelsea in January, has played a part in bringing about the newfound equilibrium. Replacement Ljubomir Fejsa, who has little of Matic’s inventive passing ability going forward, is happy to sit back as an anchorman, constituting a reliable first line of defence in front of the back four.

Likewise, the preference for Lima and Rodrigo as the starting strikers, rather than the free-scoring but less mobile Oscar Cardozo, means the team defends from the front. The energetic front two put in tireless shifts of hard running game after game, thus disrupting the opposition’s attempts to construct attacking movements.

In keeping with the club’s traditions, Benfica continue to benefit from an array of richly gifted attacking talents. Still only 19, Serbian Lazar Markovic – with a penchant for scoring wonder-goals and turning it on in the big matches – has justified the hyperbole that first suggested the club had acquired a future global star of the game. Nico Gaitán has now added consistency to his lavish skills; he and Markovic seem to be waging a private battle to score the most spectacular goal. Brazilian-born Rodrigo is scoring freely, and the joy with which he is playing exemplifies the current spirit flowing through the squad. “I’m having a great season, my best yet. I’m happy and I hope to finish it even better,” he told Benfica’s in-house TV channel yesterday.

Although Benfica go into the match on top of their game, Tottenham fans will be pleased to hear that Jesus has rotated his charges heavily in the Europa League this season. The Portuguese title has been lost to Porto in each of the last three seasons, and just last Sunday Jesus reiterated that winning the Primeira Liga was the priority. “The game against Tottenham is important, but our main aim from day one has been to win the league. I won’t be swayed from that objective and will make my team selections accordingly,” said the Benfica boss.

Luxury second-string
As such, winger Eduardo Salvio and striker Cardozo may well get a start at White Hart Lane. Despite being the two most expensive signings in Benfica’s history, injury has kept both players out for most of this season and neither are at their best. Moreover, in building the aforementioned magnificent sequence of results, Benfica have certainly not played against any team with the individual capabilities of the Premier League club.

Nevertheless, Spurs will surely have to be at the very top of their game to live with the Portuguese side aiming to take another step towards making up for last season’s trauma.

Key man
Argentine midfielder Enzo Pérez acts as the pendulum between attack and defence, combining aggression, skill and a phenomenal workrate. If he plays well – which he invariably does – Benfica play well.

1 goal conceded in 16 games in insane.

Watching the Porto V Napoli game and Porto look pretty good, 1-0 up, just hit the post and had another denied to a great save.

Either-way, I normally think the Europa is ****, but Spurs v Benfica is a glamour tie whichever way you look at it and can't wait! COYS!

Pleased to see Kane get a start, Soldado has done very little to justify keeping his place.

Back