• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester United OMT***

He ran past a lot of players to just pass the ball to the Utd defenders.

That's not a bright spark to me, that's giving the ball away cheaply.
He delivered good crosses into dangerous areas but Kane was not up to it today. He bullied utd 's left side and gave us width. The mistake for me was not taking Alli off earlier for nkoudou to occupy them their right. Rarely saw him give the ball away. Tbh we made it too easy for them today.

Sissoko came on and did more more in 20 minutes than Eriksen, Alli, Kane, Dembele or Wanyama managed all game...and three of those stayed on the pitch for the full 90. Yet, he gets slated here by otherwise erudite posters like @90291Spur, @scaramanga and others.

C'est la vie, I suppose. Personally, I thought he tried harder and did more than a lot of our sacred cows in the starting eleven - he looked like a much better player than all of them to boot, which should appall Eriksen, Alli, Kane and co.

Difficult to describe our performance, really. It was turgid, listless, utterly abject...United were bang average and we made them look like world-beaters, while we couldn't control the simplest passes and turned every simple pass into some Herculean labor just to retain possession. It was almost comical to watch our collection of supposedly Premier League level footballers control the ball and move like drunken OAPs after a fry-up the night before.

We were beaten, and deserved to lose by a lot more. Kane was abjectly awful, Alli and Eriksen likewise. Wanyama did little of note save for missing that glorious chance from the free-kick. Toby and Jan were alright, Rose and Walker were miserably bad.

I don't know if Poch got out-coached by Mourinho, but his team was simply brushed aside by a United side which struggled against bloody Everton and the like but looked eminently comfortable today..*after* playing Zorya Luhansk away at midweek. While we couldn't manage 5 minutes of energy after not leaving London for the past two-odd weeks.

Just a pathetic game from us all round, really. And that leads to what I said prior to the game...

@alekaras , We. Do. Not. Handle. Crunch. Moments. Well. When even the tiniest bit of pressure is applied to us, or expectations placed on us, or opportunities given to us, we fold like a pack of cards and expose our innate submissiveness and spineless nature for all to see. This transcends managers and teams, this is a thread running through the spine of our club that only superhuman efforts can dispel. You said last season was last season - against Chelsea and now, we proved that last season is this season, as far as dealing with crunch moments is concerned.

It's why I *hate* Walker and co. coming out and talking about how they can 'handle' the pressure, because they can't. They never have been able to, and they never will. We do our best work when nobody notices. Pochettino has not changed this, despite what his more ardent admirers would have you believe. Nothing earth-shattering has changed in our mentality from Harry's days down to today - the only differences are small and game-by-game, not a substantive change of our ethos. Poch has made some improvements, but he hasn't changed the underlying character of Tottenham Hotspur at all yet - and that yawning collapse last season deserves to be more acutely remembered given how we're still folding in crunch situations. As we folded today.

Sigh. I suppose I should have seen it coming the moment City lost and we had an opportunity to head into the top four - we would blow it, and royally so. And so we did.

Next time, let's just shut the f*ck up and work out of the spotlight. This team cannot handle pressure at all.

There is something definitely 'off' in the team, and as I've said before I believe the introduction of Wanyama has unsettled that tight-knit thing we had going last year.
I'm not knocking Wanyama by the way, he's been very good. I just think that the camaraderie has been affected.

Said this myself a few weeks back, I think you are right. It happens in changing rooms. Something is defintely not 100% in my mind

I'd rather pass it back and have the ball than give it away and be defending.
There was one amusing moment when we not only managed to pass it back from having possession inside their area, but then also contrived to lose it near the halfway line in the process! That was some accomplishment I thought.

Awful, nothing g in the middle at all.
Can't believe the stick sissoko and GKN are getting good yet eriksen gets a bye AGAIN
Eriksen gets a hell of a lot of criticism on this site, so I'm not sure how you can say that. Today he was about as poor as all our other attacking players.

Eh? Sissoko was the only bright spark for us. Is there a chance you may have accidentally tuned into one of our previous matches?

He was better than most when he came on, however the thing with him is that even when he bullies his way past his marker, his ball skills are dreadful so the cross just becomes a lottery

Getting sick and tired of the Dembele - Wanyama partnership.

Carrick at 35, nowhere near his best, is so far ahead of both of them it's close to embarrassing.

I'm not Dier's biggest fan, but on form he's clearly superior to Wanyama in our setup and I hope he's soon given the chance to play his way back to form as a DM.

People go on and on about our front 4. But they showed against Swansea and CSKA what they can do if given the ball in a bit of time and space. Can anyone name a single time when our deep midfielders managed to find one of our front 4 in a bit of time and space in the final third today?

We really not to toughen and wise up. Here and against Chelsea we've lost to dark arts, they played the ref a better today.

Ah, but then you have the holier-than-thou people talking about how Dele was wrong for diving. You can't have it both ways - either you accept that this is what is necessary, and utterly dominate the f*ckers in black every time they even *think* of giving a decision against us, or you accept being spineless and steamrollered by teams with more nous and willingness to practice the dark arts.

The kind of team that can both win and do so without using those arts comes around once a century, if that - we had it with the '61 side, and we won't have it until 2061 by that score. So we either put up or shut up, essentially. :p

He delivered good crosses into dangerous areas but Kane was not up to it today. He bullied utd 's left side and gave us width. The mistake for me was not taking Alli off earlier for nkoudou to occupy them their right. Rarely saw him give the ball away. Tbh we made it too easy for them today.
Good crosses from out by the touchline? Not for me.

Unless you are against an entirely unorganised defence then that kind of ball needs a massive mistake to end up in a goal.

If he had a brain he'd have been crossing from around the edge of the box where it's more effective.

There are some basics we need to sort out on the training pitch and re-assess the merits of our players.
Ali, I know he is a full international but still has to work on improving his left foot. That means an hour a day kicking and working with his left foot. Touching the ball to help his balance even if he just manages the odd touch. To not shoot when you are in the box 16 yards, because you can't use your left foot is imo criminal.
What value is Wanyama adding, which Dier couldn't?
Poch subs were poor yet again. Wanyama missing that chance is one thing, but repeatedly giving the ball away is another. On a yellow, and us Needing a goal, why was he on the pitch in the last ten?
We are missing a creative player, I was hoping Mykhitaryan was ignored by Mourinho, and we could get him, but that is gone now. We also need a striker but game-changers in general. Even someone like a Rooney with a winning mentality.

Sissoko came on and did more more in 20 minutes than Eriksen, Alli, Kane, Dembele or Wanyama managed all game...and three of those stayed on the pitch for the full 90. Yet, he gets slated here by otherwise erudite posters like @90291Spur, @scaramanga and others.

C'est la vie, I suppose. Personally, I thought he tried harder and did more than a lot of our sacred cows in the starting eleven - he looked like a much better player than all of them to boot, which should appall Eriksen, Alli, Kane and co.

Difficult to describe our performance, really. It was turgid, listless, utterly abject...United were bang average and we made them look like world-beaters, while we couldn't control the simplest passes and turned every simple pass into some Herculean labor just to retain possession. It was almost comical to watch our collection of supposedly Premier League level footballers control the ball and move like drunken OAPs after a fry-up the night before.

We were beaten, and deserved to lose by a lot more. Kane was abjectly awful, Alli and Eriksen likewise. Wanyama did little of note save for missing that glorious chance from the free-kick. Toby and Jan were alright, Rose and Walker were miserably bad.

I don't know if Poch got out-coached by Mourinho, but his team was simply brushed aside by a United side which struggled against bloody Everton and the like but looked eminently comfortable today..*after* playing Zorya Luhansk away at midweek. While we couldn't manage 5 minutes of energy after not leaving London for the past two-odd weeks.

Just a pathetic game from us all round, really. And that leads to what I said prior to the game...

@alekaras , We. Do. Not. Handle. Crunch. Moments. Well. When even the tiniest bit of pressure is applied to us, or expectations placed on us, or opportunities given to us, we fold like a pack of cards and expose our innate submissiveness and spineless nature for all to see. This transcends managers and teams, this is a thread running through the spine of our club that only superhuman efforts can dispel. You said last season was last season - against Chelsea and now, we proved that last season is this season, as far as dealing with crunch moments is concerned.

It's why I *hate* Walker and co. coming out and talking about how they can 'handle' the pressure, because they can't. They never have been able to, and they never will. We do our best work when nobody notices. Pochettino has not changed this, despite what his more ardent admirers would have you believe. Nothing earth-shattering has changed in our mentality from Harry's days down to today - the only differences are small and game-by-game, not a substantive change of our ethos. Poch has made some improvements, but he hasn't changed the underlying character of Tottenham Hotspur at all yet - and that yawning collapse last season deserves to be more acutely remembered given how we're still folding in crunch situations. As we folded today.

Sigh. I suppose I should have seen it coming the moment City lost and we had an opportunity to head into the top four - we would blow it, and royally so. And so we did.

Next time, let's just shut the f*ck up and work out of the spotlight. This team cannot handle pressure at all.

Agree entirely. Barring the odd exception, we have been doing year in, year out for as long as I can remember. and it seems it doesnt matter whether we play first or last.
Sat 12.30pm the chance to go top , etc: we blow it. Play last seeing other teams trip up giving us the chance to move up the table, we blow it.

Notable exceptions as you say have been the glorious night at The Etihad and for me an amazing night at Stoke last April (one of the best performances I have witnessed live). But those days/nights are few and far between and you can almost know beforehand what is going to happen if we have the chance to gain ground/open up a gap against a direct rival.
It;s been said many times...It's in our DNA

Maybe. It's possible. But that shouldn't lead to us bring even *more* sloppy with our touches than we usually are.
We severely lacked creativity or ability to get in behind. The ball in the last third was just defended very well by yarnited, we couldn't find space.

Gnnaaahhhh that Wanyama headed miss, uurrgghhh

There is something definitely 'off' in the team, and as I've said before I believe the introduction of Wanyama has unsettled that tight-knit thing we had going last year.

I'm not knocking Wanyama by the way, he's been very good. I just think that the camaraderie has been affected.

Remember Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Was Wanyama there? Fact is Dele and Kane didnt play well today. The defence and DMs did ok. The forward line didnt show up today.

He ran past a lot of players to just pass the ball to the Utd defenders.

That's not a bright spark to me, that's giving the ball away cheaply.

He did well in a couple of close to impossible situations. Like Son and Nkoudou he has that in his locker. Create something from nothing (though through slightly different means). When our central midfield completely fails to provide our attacking 4 with anything resembling decent service a player that can create something from nothing makes sense.

His end product remains questionable though. Shouldn't really be a surprise. The only time he's managed a total of 10 direct goal involvements (goals + assists) that whoscored had registered was in 09/10 in Legaue 1 for Toulouse. 9 in 13/13 for Saudi Sportswashing Machine is his best in the PL. That was in 35 games playing for a team with a style that fit him just about perfectly and playing as the primary attacking midfielder.

Dembele needs protecting I guess, injury prone. Winks is good also.

Winks was the obvious change. Despite this being Old Trafford and a hell of a lot of responsibility to put on Winks at this stage of his career.

Eriksen gets a hell of a lot of criticism on this site, so I'm not sure how you can say that. Today he was about as poor as all our other attacking players.
Really, or think this criticism must be addressed invisible as he is at times.
Tbh it's not that that annoys me, how after games like today there's virtually no criticism for him yet others get stick really bothers me.

Pluses for me - Winks did well today. Toby got through 90 mins. We were unlucky with that mistake from Kane. Sissoko showed a bit today.

His price tag is totally irrelevant! HE did not set the price tag, and and this is about performance today and not price or previous performance you knob! Kane was utter utter brick today, Sissoko was not. That is the fact weather you like it or not.
Really? And thanks for the personal insult. I shall remember to pay you the same respect when you go on your ranting attacks of players. And to the main point away from your insult. You really believe that the price of the player does not set expectations? I don't think so. Typically how much a player costs reflects how good a player should be. The three players you said were worse than Sissoko today have been better then him all season. And in their previous seasons. And one of them is 20 and previously played League one football. But perhaps that doesn't count either.

Back