• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City

Why do you have doubts about him as captain? His only job is to call heads or tails and organise the team Christmas do.

I would agree that Lloris is not in the top bracket of keepers in the world but he is comfortably in the one below and our best PL keeper. If we replaced him, what are the chances of finding someone better?

I think you know that a good captain does more than that. Practically every title winning team has had an inspirational and influential on-field captain, from Blanchflower to Hansen, through Viera and Keane to Kompany.

Hugo is a decent shot stopper, but he frequently gives the appearance of a startled rabbit pre-big games and he drops clangers in too many for my liking. His position on the field gives him little opportunity to be influential at the key moment of games and he doesn’t strike me as the type who would be able to do that anyhow.

I think you know that a good captain does more than that. Practically every title winning team has had an inspirational and influential on-field captain, from Blanchflower to Hansen, through Viera and Keane to Kompany.

Hugo is a decent shot stopper, but he frequently gives the appearance of a startled rabbit pre-big games and he drops clangers in too many for my liking. His position on the field gives him little opportunity to be influential at the key moment of games and he doesn’t strike me as the type who would be able to do that anyhow.

It’s not as simple as that, all of those great teams had 5/6 players of that ilk.

In modern football captaincy is an irrelevance imo.

He's not just an on-field captain. He's the senior member of the squad and from all accounts an influential leader in the dressing room. Speaks his mind and won't stand for any nonsense.

He's not just an on-field captain. He's the senior member of the squad and from all accounts an influential leader in the dressing room. Speaks his mind and won't stand for any nonsense.

Fair enough...but not much use when we’re trailing at home to Juventus with 10 minutes to go.

Last time we got to semis against Chelsea he played strongest available team I think - I only say I think because I remember Son being left wing back....
You are right about Son at LWB for that game - who could forget his costly error. Rose had already been out for some weeks and Davies was sick on the day - or something like that.

Lloris is a sensible guy, mature, a good pro, a good conduit between Poch and the squad, but he is not the ruthless winner/ fighter/ leader that carries a team through adversity. Shall we have a debate about 'winning mentality' perhaps? :D

I thought Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Rose all made a lot of errors... especially Aurier, some really stupid, shambolic play.
But I read this thread and people are calling out midfielders and attackers... seems like almost everyone had a bad game really, compared to Peak Spurs.

I thought Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Rose all made a lot of errors... especially Aurier, some really stupid, shambolic play.
But I read this thread and people are calling out midfielders and attackers... seems like almost everyone had a bad game really, compared to Peak Spurs.

By our own standards, it was a fudging abomination.

Lloris is a sensible guy, mature, a good pro, a good conduit between Poch and the squad, but he is not the ruthless winner/ fighter/ leader that carries a team through adversity. Shall we have a debate about 'winning mentality' perhaps? :D
Not read Poch's book yet then?

And we have Kane, Dier and a few others who offer plenty in that space. You do not need to wear the armband.

He's made some mistakes, all players do. Those mistakes are more likely in the big games because the quality of the opposition is better. Who could we realistically sign who is better?

Back