• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester's 2nd club United***

I will never forget being at WHL for our final pre season friendly trouncing Roma 5-0 with Ramos at the helm, and thinking great things are going to happen this season. We all know what happened next....
That has always been my barometer for the significance pre season. I think bentley tore them apart!

It does sadden me that the diamond is seemingly Poch's preferred formation. Defensively leaves too much space on the wings, and in possession we just seem too congested. Weird.
I am worried about this too. I hate the diamond formation and it only seems to work against teams managed by Sarri. Like you say, we can't cover the wide areas defensively, and people seem to be on top of each other in midfield when we have the ball. I don't get why Pochettino persists with this system. I think we played it far too often last season, as we did with the 5-3-2 formation. Both of them leave us exposed in the wide areas and mean that we have to drop deeper. What is wrong with 4-2-3-1? It's a formation that gives the team a much better balance than the diamond and 5-3-2.

Last season I also think we changed formation too often. We rarely played the same system in two games in a row. I think that was a contributing factor to the fact that we didn't reach the level of previous seasons in terms of the quality of our play. It is difficult go find any rhythm we we constantly chop and change the team and formation. It was partly down to injuries, but not always. We need try to find a settled team this season, if injuries (or the lack of them) allow it.

It does sadden me that the diamond is seemingly Poch's preferred formation. Defensively leaves too much space on the wings, and in possession we just seem too congested. Weird.
Agree, it's a typical Football Manager setup that looks good on paper, where a DM is nothing but a DM and so on, but doesn't translate all that well to actual football.

More like Rennesteinsgutt. Grøft is too "nice", like Trenchboy or Ditchboy :D

Edit: my apologies, for some reason I didn't see the tiny, tiny post by MKSpur above.
Oi it’s not the size that matters, it’s how many likes it gets that matters (so I’m told :oops:)

Oi it’s not the size that matters, it’s how many likes it gets that matters (so I’m told :oops:)
Yes, some say that, depending on several factors. Have a well deserved like. But to clarify: a grøft is where you may end up if you're drunk, a rennestein is where you may end up if you're poor.

No chance and not progressive from season before.

Judging him on last years form when he was carrying a injury for most of it is unfair, the season before when he was fit was showed how good he was. Just turned 26 but his biggest problem is he is not as Dynamic as Rose ( ie stays on his feet and not rolling about on the ground like Rose) which some fans seem to admire.

The first rule of pre-season is... don't pay any attention to anything that happens in pre-season.

I totally agree in terms of quality of performances. But Poch choosing to play a particular formation in both games - one that he chose to play a lot last season too - can't be ruled out as meaningless IMO. We'll have to wait and see!

Judging him on last years form when he was carrying a injury for most of it is unfair, the season before when he was fit was showed how good he was. Just turned 26 but his biggest problem is he is not as Dynamic as Rose ( ie stays on his feet and not rolling about on the ground like Rose) which some fans seem to admire.

This has been done to death. Rose also tackles, intercepts, dribbles and wins more fouls than Davies (as shown by stats, as well as the eyeball test ). Fine if you prefer Davies, and there are definitely arguments for that, but dismissing Rose's 'dynamism' as a totally empty word or him just 'rolling about on the ground' is just factually incorrect.

Back