• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester's 2nd club United***

So from that I assume you’d say Davies is one of the top 3 left backs in the league? I wouldn’t even put him in the top 5 personally. Top 10 definitely but he’s not an elite full back.
What I'm saying is that it's a case of "the grass must be greener on the other side". There are few in the PL that would be a definite upgrade on Davies, at least of who we can get. Don't think Liverpool are too keen on selling Robertson.

CarKiller@Cheatski is a good wing back, but a poor left back, similar to Trippier and KWP.

It is hard to find a player who is genuinely a good defensive full back AND wing back.

NB I just saw KWP and thought "Kevin W@nker Pietersen" and I don't even like cricket but I'm pretty sure he is/was, just look at that hair dye.

Mendy? And Shaw? You got to be joking! I'll give you Robertson. The others are seriously debatable. Suggesting Shaw and Mendy are better than Davies is ridiculous!

Shaw is a very, very good player. He's had a bad injury and a manager who shat all over him. If that boy gets fit, he'll be outstanding. He's got far more ability than Davies.

Mendy hasn't really showed anything in the PL. Flashes yes, but very inconsistent. Davies has been solid for years and is very very dependable. Rarely injured, good at defending, decent going forward, rarely makes mistakes. He's our Irwine type player.

Davies isn't in the same league as Denis Irwin. Irwin was a 7 or 8 out of 10 pretty much every week. Davies is at least a level below that. Although if you just meant Davies is consistent, I'll give you that.

I'm not anti-Davies by any means. Think he's a good solid player and can do a job at CB. He's a good squad player who I'd have no fear about playing. However, he's not as good as Danny Rose in my view and a few other LBs in the league.

I'm fuming with this "stamp" nonsense. He trod on James yes, but stamp he did not. One word is for an accident, the other is for when you aim to do harm, Sissoko did not.

Now Pereira, he went in with complete disregard for safety.

Lets hope we sign Sessegnon. Or bring Rose back into the fray.

On the right, I have high hopes for Foyth. If we don't sign anyone at RB, he'd be my choice.

I'd like to see Dani Alves join us and have both Foyth & KWP learning from the master... I think we will have to sell, Aurier..

Also with regards to the Rose/Davies debate ....Rose wants an improved contract and he wants to be up north so, if we can do a deal for Everton's Digne (Rose + 15m), who I think was their player of the season 18-19, we'd be in good shape.

Yeah, I don't understand the Irwin comparisons with Davies either. Irwin was a top full back, first choice for the best part of a decade in a title winning team.
Oh my GHod....
They're similar in that they're both depandable defenders, that just does the job. No fancy tricks, just does the job without any fuzz. Not spectacular in any way, just "a bit boring" for lack of better words.

Yeah, I don't understand the Irwin comparisons with Davies either. Irwin was a top full back, first choice for the best part of a decade in a title winning team.

Indeed, started off as Right Back before successfully converting into a Left Back plus Irwin scored a few free kicks too.

Oh my GHod....
They're similar in that they're both depandable defenders, that just does the job. No fancy tricks, just does the job without any fuzz. Not spectacular in any way, just "a bit boring" for lack of better words.

But Irwin had a wand of a foot, a great penalty taker, was fast. You’re painting him as some jack of all trades like O’Shea. He was nothing like that.

Yea Irwin was an outstanding full back. 2 footed.

I get the comparison that’s trying to be made with Davies, but I don’t think it does Irwin’s ability justice TBH.

I think that is a fair summing up, Davies is ( imo) our best LB and i can understand why he was mentioned in the same breath as Irwin. However Irwin was a great player and very under rated by a lot of fans at the time ( mind you you could say the same about Davies being under rated by some).

Back