• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Some say they like the bugle playing before the game too, I find it sooo damn cringe. Surely we can do better than that.
My old seat was just in front of where he plays. Glad I’m not there now! I much preferred the banging on the old WHL tin to get everyone going

Reactions: jrh
Some say they like the bugle playing before the game too, I find it sooo damn cringe. Surely we can do better than that.

No we can't/don't, when it wasn't there, 90% of the time, the game started with crowd flat, at least with the bugle, we at least get one song to start.

The tourist conversation annoys me, the member's sections are some of the worst in the stadium, it's just that fans are a reflection of social media, look at the complaints already when any result doesn't go the way of people' expectations (realistic of not)

No we can't/don't, when it wasn't there, 90% of the time, the game started with crowd flat, at least with the bugle, we at least get one song to start.

The tourist conversation annoys me, the member's sections are some of the worst in the stadium, it's just that fans are a reflection of social media, look at the complaints already when any result doesn't go the way of people' expectations (realistic of not)
Got nothing against whipping up a bit of a frenzy, but the actual sound of a bugle? It's like someone trying to hold in a fart.. It's not inspiring at all.

The gaps in the crowd would be quickly highlighted if the "tourists" didn't take up the tickets.
No win situation for some.

Let's face it, the atmosphere is crap more often than not.
Rather than just complain about it, some fans are trying to do things to change that. I can't knock them for that, even if it might be a bit contrived. If the crowd was singing, there wouldn't be any need for a drummer to start things off.

Realistically what is the ratio of tourists to regulars?

My guess, not enough to be hanging anything on them. Plus, who's saying they don't join in?

The atmosphere was great earlier in the season. Vibrant, positive and engaged.

So what's happened. As @Raziel alludes too, people's apathetic, negative, outraged (take your pick) attitude is never far away. They are what they eat.

Yes football crowds have changed, and I'm sure the demographic (age) plays a big part at Spurs but it's all on US to change that, support the team for what it is, OUR TEAM. And much like life, bumps and hurdles need a little support to get over.

I think they've done their best to discuss with various groups the options to increase the atmosphere at the ground, personally organic growth is the most authentic (but I might be living in the old days) but I'm not sure how attainable that is, as it appears conditional ie 'yeah, entertain me and I'll give it some' 'if things aren't going how I want it, then it's all brick'.

A funny attitude towards something you've loved all your life.

My whinge: I was in South 252 Row 20 for the City match, couldn't get my ST seat in the Paxton due to their allocation. It wasn't enjoyable. People were standing where they wanted, obviously not where they had tickets for as it was a bit of a crush. I think folks were just meeting up and standing with their mates. There were arguments going on, fighting with Stewards, etc. I couldn't see the game without bobbing my head around a guy who was standing in front of me, until he moved slightly and I was able to grab and hold onto the rail. I thought initially that this was fun - old school, but it really wasn't.
There was hardly any singing, just a lot of griping. Then comments like "Oh there'll be limbs if we score". Seemed like some people were there for man hugs in the event of a goal being scored. When Walker took the ball off Timo right in front of us, it was "fudge off Werner you clam!". I mean seriously. Then, when Ake scored, the fire drill mass exodus began.
All of that, coupled with the result, made for a very unenjoyable evening. I think most people thought we were beat before a ball was kicked.

My whinge: I was in South 252 Row 20 for the City match, couldn't get my ST seat in the Paxton due to their allocation. It wasn't enjoyable. People were standing where they wanted, obviously not where they had tickets for as it was a bit of a crush. I think folks were just meeting up and standing with their mates. There were arguments going on, fighting with Stewards, etc. I couldn't see the game without bobbing my head around a guy who was standing in front of me, until he moved slightly and I was able to grab and hold onto the rail. I thought initially that this was fun - old school, but it really wasn't.
There was hardly any singing, just a lot of griping. Then comments like "Oh there'll be limbs if we score". Seemed like some people were there for man hugs in the event of a goal being scored. When Walker took the ball off Timo right in front of us, it was "fudge off Werner you clam!". I mean seriously. Then, when Ake scored, the fire drill mass exodus began.
All of that, coupled with the result, made for a very unenjoyable evening. I think most people thought we were beat before a ball was kicked.
The club should really look at who attends vs who has brought the ticket
That way they might know more about the “real” fans who go vs the ones who select the games and then bitch about everything like you saw

My guess, not enough to be hanging anything on them. Plus, who's saying they don't join in?

The atmosphere was great earlier in the season. Vibrant, positive and engaged.

So what's happened. As @Raziel alludes too, people's apathetic, negative, outraged (take your pick) attitude is never far away. They are what they eat.

Yes football crowds have changed, and I'm sure the demographic (age) plays a big part at Spurs but it's all on US to change that, support the team for what it is, OUR TEAM. And much like life, bumps and hurdles need a little support to get over.

I think they've done their best to discuss with various groups the options to increase the atmosphere at the ground, personally organic growth is the most authentic (but I might be living in the old days) but I'm not sure how attainable that is, as it appears conditional ie 'yeah, entertain me and I'll give it some' 'if things aren't going how I want it, then it's all brick'.

A funny attitude towards something you've loved all your life.

There are quite a few tourists, but again, it's not the main issue

Last year, I had 3 groups around me that bitched every match, all match, and it was the same guys, people who would be quick to tell you how long they have been season ticket holders, how many years they have been going.

It wasn't tourists shouting "chicken Royal" on Saturday, or groaning every time our defenders passed the ball around trying to get Wolves to press forward (it's a tactic of the system)

Reality is, people now feel it's up to the team to entertain them, to play perfect football or "else", they no longer see their part, to help the team in tough moments, to out sing the opposition fans.

I will give up my tickets soon enough, and a huge part of it is I go to the game to enjoy myself, back the team, be part of the "tribe", win or lose, but that's not what others want anymore.

Easy to offer non-stop, blind support when ticket prices are cheap. As I know from 13 patient - and ultimately rewarding - years of affordable ST seats at my MLS club.

But with the prices charged nowadays, it hurts a bit more when the team aren't playing well.

I will give up my tickets soon enough, and a huge part of it is I go to the game to enjoy myself, back the team, be part of the "tribe", win or lose, but that's not what others want anymore.
Absolutely reason I giave mine to nephew and his mate and we keep in family, wasn't enjoying the crap and moaning around me and on concourse. The sheer levels of entitlement versus when I first went and really really loved it is night and day

I can only speak for myself, but whenever I've been to games, I've sung my heart out, like - I think - lots of overseas fans do. It's a part of the experience for me to also do my bit. I'm not brave enough to try to start a chant, but whenever there's singing, I'm in.

Last edited:
I quite like the bugle to be honest. Think it’s a decent effort to get a song that everyone knows going.

The one that really makes me cringe is Angels playing after the game. I know why we do it but the Robbie lyrics are so much different to the fan song and you can’t hear the crowd above it so you effectively end up playing a mid-90s pop ballad which doesn’t really get the hairs on the back of the neck standing up. Much rathered Chas and Dave’s “Glory, Glory” when we won.

Easy to offer non-stop, blind support when ticket prices are cheap. As I know from 13 patient - and ultimately rewarding - years of affordable ST seats at my MLS club.

But with the prices charged nowadays, it hurts a bit more when the team aren't playing well.

Spurs in last 15 years has never been "cheap". I remember us in WHL as late as Harry, and the atmosphere was very different to what it has been in recent years (even on the brick days)

I don't think it's a Spurs thing, I think people are way more entitled and just see the game differently now. My shock moment was last year (IIRC) when City was losing to us in their place at HT and the fans booed them off, can you imagine watching City over last 7 years and deciding one bad half was worth you booing them off the pitch? wtf?

Each to their own, guess I'm just a grumpy old man now and the game is there for those who want to give nothing (but money) and be entertained ..

I quite like the bugle to be honest. Think it’s a decent effort to get a song that everyone knows going.

The one that really makes me cringe is Angels playing after the game. I know why we do it but the Robbie lyrics are so much different to the fan song and you can’t hear the crowd above it so you effectively end up playing a mid-90s pop ballad which doesn’t really get the hairs on the back of the neck standing up. Much rathered Chas and Dave’s “Glory, Glory” when we won.

Has glory glory stopped?

Back