• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Let's face it, the atmosphere is crap more often than not.
Rather than just complain about it, some fans are trying to do things to change that. I can't knock them for that, even if it might be a bit contrived. If the crowd was singing, there wouldn't be any need for a drummer to start things off.
I think a crap atmosphere is better than a contrived one.

Better to be City than Arsenal.

Has glory glory stopped?
I think so. Last few times we’ve won I’m pretty sure it’s “Freed from Desire” followed by “Angels”. The former is pretty good to be fair, gets people joining in.

I don’t dislike Angels as a song but not at football. We may as well play Westlife or the Backstreet Boys.

I think so. Last few times we’ve won I’m pretty sure it’s “Freed from Desire” followed by “Angels”. The former is pretty good to be fair, gets people joining in.

I don’t dislike Angels as a song but not at football. We may as well play Westlife or the Backstreet Boys.
It (Angels) was great earlier in the season — when I was there for Liverpool, it was brilliant — but it loses its impact if you play it after every win, especially the less-than-convincing ones.

The DJ is on Twitter so might be open to feedback: https://twitter.com/TottenhamDJ

I can only speak for myself, bur whenever I've been to games, I've sung my heart out, like - I think - lots of overseas fans do. It's a part of the experience for me to also do my bit. I'm not brave enough to try to start a chant, but whenever there's singing, I'm in.
Same here.

Glory Glory is still played after a win, straight on the final whistle, then into Freed from Desire.
I don't mind Angels, although I think it will have run its course after this season.
But why do we then play the Hey Jude chorus? That I would happily lose.

I can only speak for myself, but whenever I've been to games, I've sung my heart out, like - I think - lots of overseas fans do. It's a part of the experience for me to also do my bit. I'm not brave enough to try to start a chant, but whenever there's singing, I'm in.
It’s probably because your not there to take it all for granted
The moany bunch are just that .. there to moan

Spending £4-5k (or more) on one game probably helps too - there's no guarantee of a good game or a good result, but at least it inclines me to make a proper contribution to the atmosphere.
It’s bloody commitment for sure
I’ve never been in another UK clubs home end other than Everton with my mates years ago
So I can’t comment on their fans
But ours do seem particularly fickle and entitled

I’ve heard spurs fans complain about players who weren’t even on the pitch

I’ve never been in another UK clubs home end other than Everton with my mates years ago

Have been to both Selhurst Park, Highbury (foolishly wearing a concealed Spurs scarf), Craven Cottage and Anfield in my time (10-20 years ago all of the visits), and can't say I was particularly impressed by the atmosphere there either. Could be because I wasn't very emotionally engaged, of course.

Best experiences I've had, apart from a few incredible games at old WHL, has been on a few lower league games I've attended. Can't remember who I saw - think it might've been Leyton Orient - but it was very different to PL football, in a positive way.

Yeh same, we won the other week and people were moaning about it like we lost.....fickle

That said I think general atmosphere is like anywhere, decent when doing well, moany and groany when not, I don't remember too much of a time when it was much different. If I was being overly critical I would actually say the 90s overall was better for hardcore atmosphere which contradicts what I have said slightly because we were poorer, but I think the outside noise of socials and YT influence alot of the modern everyones Alan Hansen

Is it part of the new sanitised ground. I remember the first games there sitting next to fans who were cut from different cloth so to speak. Outside of the South stand the majority are viewers rather than participants. The stadium is bright, with lots of space to feel self-conscious. Many are used to watching from the comfort of their sofa. Observers.

The irony is that a good atmosphere makes it better for everyone. You feel moved and part of something, win lose or draw. Togetherness is the true antidote to disappointing performances. It doesn't matter if we lose if there is a spirit of them against us, and never say die support. Somehow we need to instil a fan culture of singing harder when losing. Get some fresh songs and try to create other areas in the ground with die-hard support. The area next to the away support could be one place to focus on. The club could create a new space alongside, make it standing only, give it an appropriate name and let the banter commence.

Because when all is said and done, it is not the results that make football enjoyable, it is the energy and shared emotions.

Is it part of the new sanitised ground. I remember the first games there sitting next to fans who were cut from different cloth so to speak. Outside of the South stand the majority are viewers rather than participants. The stadium is bright, with lots of space to feel self-conscious. Many are used to watching from the comfort of their sofa. Observers.

The irony is that a good atmosphere makes it better for everyone. You feel moved and part of something, win lose or draw. Togetherness is the true antidote to disappointing performances. It doesn't matter if we lose if there is a spirit of them against us, and never say die support. Somehow we need to instil a fan culture of singing harder when losing. Get some fresh songs and try to create other areas in the ground with die-hard support. The area next to the away support could be one place to focus on. The club could create a new space alongside, make it standing only, give it an appropriate name and let the banter commence.

Because when all is said and done, it is not the results that make football enjoyable, it is the energy and shared emotions.

The Return of the Shelf are apparently working with the club on that

BUT although I agree on some of that I don't think its equally helpful to have people endorsed to make changes like "Song Sheets of" "Flags of" or that "Voice of Spurs" (who is apparently a West Ham fan using us as a platform, almost pushing their ideas on people in order to raise their own profile, it don't work, people push back and I don't think there should be changes made to peoples match day experiences without a wider consensus which seems to be happening IMO. Yes figure out an area where those day in day out hardcore fans can be together, if thats what they want, but don't drag the whole stadium through some kind of social experiment.

Easy to offer non-stop, blind support when ticket prices are cheap. As I know from 13 patient - and ultimately rewarding - years of affordable ST seats at my MLS club.

But with the prices charged nowadays, it hurts a bit more when the team aren't playing well.
I hate the cost argument that is thrown post bad results or form.

You make the financial choice before attending. End of.

The cost of love should never be monetary.

Besides, some of the moments it given, you'd pay 10 X for

It’s spurs fans
It’s not the ground
It’s the nature of people who support us
The blinkers come on when they walk in that ground

The irony is that a good atmosphere makes it better for everyone. You feel moved and part of something, win lose or draw. Togetherness is the true antidote to disappointing performances. It doesn't matter if we lose if there is a spirit of them against us, and never say die support. Somehow we need to instil a fan culture of singing harder when losing. Get some fresh songs and try to create other areas in the
With so many more seats it is inevitable. Old WHL with reduced capacity was amazing.
I saw it many times in the old ground
Said it before but a fella behind me used to moan about Bentley even when he wasn’t playing

It wasn't always...the miss placed Spurs groan was as prominent there as here and the early kick offs were always drab, like here. The last season was brilliant because in part form, the other history. But it was not always as great

No doubt. But with half the seats and people, there was a greater proportion of "die-hard" support in old WHL. It was also closer and more raw. The sanitised roomy stadium does have a different feel/vibe. It is a sensational stadium. There isn't another as good in the UK, but it would be even better if we and the club develop a stronger fan culture possibly with additional areas designed for more vocal support. Like @Glenda's Legs I'm all for proactive initiatives as the whole experience is heightened and improved.

Atm there is all the hopes - and then disappointment - of fans aspiring to reach the top. That is what drives fans narrative right now. What we need
to develop is a stronger sense of 'us against the world' and togetherness. When losing, rather than whinge, sing harder as a way of saying fuk you to everyone else.

A standing zone in the East Stand could amass a section of fans who are more vocal, and create a bridge from the South Stand all the way around to another more fervent "banter" section next to the away fans. It might cost some money on seats, but the overall experience would be enhanced massively. If you get just half the ground singing it creates an awe-inspiring, intimidating, powerful home.

Its a sensitive subject, but if you have standing sections I don't see why you couldn't get more fans in too, within reason. This might allow you to offer cheaper tickets to younger supporters without giving up too much revenue.

I would love the club to be brave here, be bold.

Last edited:
No doubt. But with half the seats and people, there was a greater proportion of "die-hard" support in old WHL. It was also closer and more raw. The sanitised roomy stadium does have a different feel/vibe. It is a sensational stadium. There isn't another as good in the UK, but it would be even better if we and the club develop a stronger fan culture possibly with additional areas designed for more vocal support. Like @Glenda's Legs I'm all for proactive initiatives as the whole experience is heightened and improved.

Atm there is all the hopes - and then disappointment - of fans aspiring to reach the top. That is what drives fans narrative right now. What we need
to develop is a stronger sense of 'us against the world' and togetherness. When losing, rather than whinge, sing harder as a way of saying fuk you to everyone else.

A standing zone in the East Stand could amass a section of fans who are more vocal, and create a bridge from the South Stand all the way around to another more fervent "banter" section next to the away fans. It might cost some money on seats, but the overall experience would be enhanced massively. If you get just half the ground singing it creates an awe-inspiring, intimidating, powerful home.

Its a sensitive subject, but if you have standing sections I don't see why you couldn't get more fans in too, within reason. This might allow you to offer cheaper tickets to younger supporters without giving up too much revenue.

I would love the club to be brave here, be bold.

Isn't the attendances dictated by league and authorities not being bold?

Isn't the attendances dictated by league and authorities not being bold?

Yes. Local council. National government on safe standing. That is why being bold is necessary. Lead and make positive change.

If you can hang your hat on getting more young fans in and affordable tickets, Plus enhancing the atmosphere, you have a platform to push for positive updates.

Back