• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

I think greatwhitenorf said in his post about Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Group a week or two ago that it would be better for any new Toronto franchise if the city didn't take on the Bills. If they did, they'd likely lose potential support from current Bills fans in the Buffalo area.

I personally doubt that London would get a franchise so soon. So LA seems a more obvious destination for the Bills.

The thing about the Bills is they reside in the AFC east.. Which also has Miami (Where it would be a good US base for the team.. New York Jets and the New England Patriots. All being east coast teams so logistically 3 of the 8 home games at the lane every year come from definite east coast teams, should Buffalo move to the west coast that stirs many logistical problems such as realigning divisional problems.

Imagine the rivalry.. New England v Old England. haha.

don't think the Bills are going anywhere

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24550776/report-bills-could-identify-new-owner-by-july

When Bills owner Ralph Wilson died in March, questions were immediately raised about whether the team would remain in Buffalo long term or relocate elsewhere. Now a source tells the Associated Press that the Bills could identify a new owner by July, and have the deal approved by the league's owners in October. The source also said that one prospective ownership group has already toured possible new stadium locations in the Buffalo area.
Wilson's estate is in the process of hiring an investment bank to sell the team, which will likely go to the highest bidder. The possibility that this could happen by July would accelerate Gov. Andrew Cuomo's efforts to make sure the Bills remain in western New York.
The AP reports: "The state intends to hire a consulting firm over the next week to produce a report within three months that would be issued to prospective owners. The report would identify potential stadium sites and outline public financing options that would be made available."
A committee comprised of public and private leaders -- including some Bills executives -- is expected to make recommendations on whether a new stadium should be built, or if the existing Ralph Wilson Stadium can remain viable until its lease expires in 2023. But those recommendations could take at least six months, well after a new owner had been identified.
Cuomo hopes to have the framework for such a plan in place much sooner.
"The governor wants to be prepared if there are any earlier offers to buy the team," Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy told the AP on Friday. "Our team is looking at sites now in Erie County, Buffalo, Niagara County. We're just being prepared because we don't know who the next owner will be. We're not sure what the goals and the objectives of the next ownership team will be."
At the league meetings in late March, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora wrote, "There are no shortage of qualified candidates who are ready and eager to buy into the NFL, with the leagues finances booming and its broadcast and labor situation secure through the rest of this decade. For every name you hear, there are several more lurking."
Those names include musician Jon Bon Jovi and Hall of Famer, former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly and, according to the Buffalo News, billionaire B. Thomas Golisano, former owner of the Buffalo Sabres.

i don't think that matters, as long as there is a possibility that changes can be made to incorporate such things happening, if it's 2020 then it's 2020.

BTW I don't think a team will ever come here full time, would be cheaper to have them based in Miami and travel in for the block games at home, whether that two or three homes games then three road games in the US. Miami is also tax free.

I do not follow american football so will not get involved in that side of the discussion. What interested me was you saying Miami was tax free, tax free for what? business's or sports teams, I am pretty sure it is not for ordinary citizens or is it?

Not arguing just interested why Miami would be tax free.

Miami is income tax free

Not sure how it works 100%, if you work in Miami you don't have to pay tax on your earnings. Not sure how if they are based in Miami say, how it would work because they travel city to city. Maybe they can work around it but I assume that it could be like when Usain Bolt runs in London he has to pay taxes at London prices so they still may have to pay taxes.

Beckham just took his MLS franchise in Miami... Why! it's not exactly a rich area. The Jacksonville Jaguars is basically near Miami and they are having empty stadium every home game.

thanks, interesting

I always assumed Beckham choose Miami because of the Latino community who would be more likely to want to watch football. I always thought tax was the same across america, never knew.

there are local taxes and federal taxes, but .....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGH

Enough, already. I want to read about Northumberland DEVELOPMENT. Would that the club site had a half decent update policy.

I don't believe Miami will be tax free, as I understand it Florida are looking to provide $13m to sports subsidies and this would depend on the claims made by individual clubs and would be linked to how much local tax the club generated. Looks small potatoes to some of the major sports.

The tax free only refers to state and/or city taxes. They would still pay federal income taxes. Most states have a state income tax which can have a top rate of up to around 10% (e.g. in California), but some like Texas have no state income tax. Also some cities have a local income tax. I don't know the current rates, but in Philadelphia I used to pay a 2% state tax plus a 4-5% city income tax on top of the federal income tax. So I assume Miami doesn't have state or local city income tax.

Saw this on our stadium thread on Skyscrapercity so passing it on (I have no idea on the credibility of the info)....

Someone on thefighting****.co.uk has posted that Archway have lost the CPO appeal. Not sure how reliable, but here it is:

For the very first time, I have some interesting inside information about the outcome of the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO), served on Archway Sheet Metal Works.

I understand that earlier this week, Archway lost the legal challenge against Haringey Council over the CPO that was served on them. Apparently, they were seeking around £3m financial compensation, after rejecting a £1m offer plus nearby new premises, as part of the whole compensation package.

In addition to losing the case, they were ordered to pay the Haringey's legal fees as well as their own, which was also a six-figure sum. I also understand they have had to accept a much lower compensation package of around £500k, and will have to find or build their own new premises.

Now this court case is over, although probably subject to appeal (@Smoked Salmon will know for certain, as he is much more intelligent than me) I would have thought Eric Pickles should now be able to make the decision for the CPO to proceed. I am reasonably certain that all the other companies served with CPO's have accepted the terms, relocated already or have made plans to move.

Archway were the final ones, and in my opinion very foolish not to accept the original offer and financial compensation package. A regeneration scheme on this scale, in a deprived part of London was always highly likely to proceed, based upon the number of jobs it would create, benefits to the local economy, and the amount of affordable housing that would be constructed.

Hopefully, one small step closer to the construction of our desperately needed new stadium, and I'm glad I have been able to contribute something positive to this thread.

They'll have to pay Haringey's fees as well?!?

If true then that will cost them an absolute fortune, not far off from ruin them. So stressed by this project at times, seriously feels like it's never gonna end.

Interesting development.

Those you more knowledgeable and informed than me could something like this have been delaying an announcement? That we would wait for all parties to have their chance to complete legal actions as far as possible before actually announcing that we're going to build a stadium on what is currently their land?

They'll have to pay Haringey's fees as well?!?

If true then that will cost them an absolute fortune, not far off from ruin them. So stressed by this project at times, seriously feels like it's never gonna end.

Par for the course - see Brighton and the Amex. So sign up or say hi to premature greyness. ;)

Par for the course - see Brighton and the Amex. So sign up or say hi to premature greyness. ;)

Funny you should mention the Amex as it DID give me stress, stress in trying to find a place to drink during the first year of Uni as they knocked down the Uni. of Brighton SU bar (aka Falmer bar) to make way for their new stadium, the bastards :lol:

Surely:
a) records of a court case like this are in the public domain
b) such is the popularity of Spurs that this court case would be publicised or at least of a greater profile when it is actually going on?

Just think that if this were true the posters on SSC would be able to substantiate with times places and links. It's not really ITK?

Or it is typical "ITK".

Let's just assume the CPO bit is accurate, which seems unlikely for the reasons people have said, how would they also know details of the settlement unless in Levy's inner cloister. Spurs have already prepared a site, so presumably it would still be better to to make a deal on these premises at the original offer (less legal costs) than ruin a local businessman, however awkward, and to speed up the move.

Or it is typical "ITK".

Let's just assume the CPO bit is accurate, which seems unlikely for the reasons people have said, how would they also know details of the settlement unless in Levy's inner cloister. Spurs have already prepared a site, so presumably it would still be better to to make a deal on these premises at the original offer (less legal costs) than ruin a local businessman, however awkward, and to speed up the move.

I don't think the club can come out of this looking bad.

They made a very generous offer (one that every other business in the area jumped at). Archway tried to hold them to ransom by becoming the sole obstacle. The courts decided about 1/2 the original offer was a fair amount, and then punished them for wasting public time and money.

Back