• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

"The Shelf" seems to be the most obvious choice to me... help link the new place with the history of the old.
I thought of this when I raised the matter, but dismissed it because the new stand cannot in any way be described as a shelf, since it is single tier, whereas the original shelf actually looked a little like a shelf because although it was on the lower level, it was separated by steps and a wall of sorts from the lower level, hence "shelf". You might just as well call it the "Paxton" or "Park Lane" on your basis since although it will have history on its side it would contradict reality.
I suggested the Wall of Sound, because it can provide an incentive for noise to be made by the inhabitants to intimidate visiting teams; and of course I used to fancy the Ronettes.
I also like Craig_J's suggestion, but I think you'd need to add the words Gay and Tory.

Wall of sound is a ****ing terrible idea ffs :eek::D
I accept it's more than a little pretentious, like the Theatre of Dreams, and the Stadium (and Academy) of Light, but a lot of Tottenham fans have pushed for a single tier stand, and to give priority in that stand to those who want to sing and make a noise, presumably in support of the team. It seems to me that they have been asking for somewhere where they can provide that wall of sound. Some comments here make me wonder whether they at the same time don't want the responsibility for driving the team on when it is playing poorly, and don't want the mickey taken out of them when that happens: hence the "Wailing Wall" reference. Though if it's called the Shelf don't be surprised if other fans start saying "The Spuds can't even put a shelf up properly".
Anyway, what's in a name?
"We're the South Stand Totten-ham!"
And it will still be quite near Park Lane.

What about the fact the vocal support want to be next to the away end? Isn't this why the vocal support moved from the shelf to park lane, following the away support being moved around. Bit stupid if this happens and the vocal support end up vacating the kop. Also, I thought the away end was in the existing south stand because it's near to the transport links away fans use? Putting them in the north creates less segregation?

What about the fact the vocal support want to be next to the away end? Isn't this why the vocal support moved from the shelf to park lane, following the away support being moved around. Bit stupid if this happens and the vocal support end up vacating the kop. Also, I thought the away end was in the existing south stand because it's near to the transport links away fans use? Putting them in the north creates less segregation?
Your memory on the matter is different from mine.
As a supporter attending White Hart Lane on a regular basis since 1956, the existence of the "Shelf" as a specific entity was, in my experience, something and nothing until about 1987 when the disastrous East Stand Redevelopment was due to take place, though it clearly held an affection for those who customarily gravitated towards it. Those people lobbied for it to be retained within the "new" structure and got their wish, but as far as I heard from the West Stand, the most noise always emanated from each end, though the South end of the Shelf became a little noisier and joined in the fun with the North and South Stands. This was dissipated in the Paxton on the advent of the Family area, but the Park Lane was always loudest, though not always the most positive, as the likes of Matty Etherington and, latterly Robbie Keane, would undoubtedly testify. In my view, the placing of the Away Section next to the most vocal area of the home support, which is the way I saw it happen, was particularly stupid and naive, whatever the transport advantages, and likely to invite conflict, though this was lessened by the construction of the surveillance module hanging from the south-west corner stand.
Incidentally, anyone who is more interested in conflict with the away fans than supporting the home team quite rightly runs the risk of not seeing the game live at all.
With regard to the new stadium, the transport regime is being modified, so that easier access to White Hart Lane Stadium, with larger and more frequent trains, is likely to mean that opposing fans will be shepherded towards that station rather than make the substantially longer police-attended march to Seven Sisters.
Others will undoubtedly disagree.

N17 for the name of die-hard Yids who inhabit the stand. Referencing the tier's capacity and postcode.

Last edited:
I can't imagine singing anything other than "we're the park lane the park lane the park lane Tottenham" or "we're the shelf side the shelf side shelf side Tottenham" doesn't really matter what they look like now. Can't get rid of signing that...

I can't imagine singing anything other than "we're the park lane the park lane the park lane Tottenham" or "we're the shelf side the shelf side shelf side Tottenham" doesn't really matter what they look like now. Can't get rid of signing that...

Easily corrected ...we're the sony stand the sony stand tottenham ... we're the b&q stand tottenham

I think I can guess what the away fans would sing if we called it that.
Good point, but the more I think about it, the more I think it is the sort of thing that will happen whatever it's called. You only have to the recall the warped imagination of the cretin who compared the new stadium to a toilet bowl. His (or her) mind must be very troubled.
The good thing about this debate from my perspective though is that the majority appear to have been weaned off the highly unimaginative and totally derivative notion of "The Kop", and are thinking purely on Tottenham Hotspur lines.

Back