• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

but what will make the player happy? 100k a week? 150k a week? 200k a week? Maybe the player is happy sitting on what he is on because another club has told him to wait until 2019, move for 25 mill and earn a 200k a week on a 4 or 5 year contract. Maybe Toby is very content, who knows.
Of course, but I'm referring to the 'we're not in a rush' comment. I don't think we'll be thinking he can stay on 50k for the next few years for all we care.

so the ball is in Toby's court. He can stay on the low wage until 2019 and then move for 25 mill or sign a new contract with improved terms now. i dont think the club are worried at all, thats why they dont seem to be in any rush to offer a new deal.

Maybe so, but a dressing room with an unhappy Rose, an unhappy Toby and unhappy Dele after he has has another good season maybe something you do not want. It is one thing when you have just one bad egg, but when a number of your senior players are unhappy it will become a recipe for disaster, even more so when there are no trophies.

Maybe so, but a dressing room with an unhappy Rose, an unhappy Toby and unhappy Dele after he has has another good season maybe something you do not want. It is one thing when you have just one bad egg, but when a number of your senior players are unhappy it will become a recipe for disaster, even more so when there are no trophies.

Levy will not pay big wages so we just have to get used to our players leaving at some point.

The quotes in the Independent don't seem so bad.

And the player's representative Stijn Francis has made his client's position clear.

"When you look at Toby's statistics, they are impressive. Either he deserves an appropriate contract, or else he should be given a transfer," said Francis. "Seven or eight big European clubs are interested in signing him. There are not many central defenders around who can play like he can.

"But these clubs will have to negotiate with Tottenham's chairman, Daniel Levy."

And Toby seems relatively relaxed about it.

Alderweireld, who is part of the Belgian squad that secured their place at next summer's World Cup with the win over Greece on Sunday, for his part is leaving his future in the hands of others.

"I leave everything to my father," he said. "We will see what happens in the coming months. But of course a great deal has happened recently. I am going to progress still further. I can really see myself getting a whole lot better.

"By adapting my game, I have improved every season."

Seems he wants a new contract with higher wages, which is perfectly normal in his position. We might not be able to offer him enough, but if he felt strongly about a large increase we would have heard about it earlier.

To many people are getting carried away by a articule in the Sun :confused:, his "advisor" who is not his agent as far as i can see is just blowing hot air.

Maybe so, but I remember people accusing others of getting carried away when rumours started surfacing about Walker wanting to leave to Emirates Marketing Project.

He is arguably our best central defender and his contract expires in under 2 years so I would suggest people are not getting carried away. It is quite reasonable to be concerned about this development

They do love stirring up brick.

Tedious as it is, it's just negotiation tactics. Maybe the club will feel some pressure from the fans, but it's usually pointless. You're more likely to get somewhere by simply going to the chairman with your requests. It's only natural that we'd get the transfer window out of the way first before look at the existing contracts.

You don't think we want a happy player?

I'm with you. I don't think many Spurs fans would disagree that he's one of the best, and most important, players in our team and therefore making sure he's happy by him being on one of the highest salaries in our team doesn't feel inappropriate

I'm with you. I don't think many Spurs fans would disagree that he's one of the best, and most important, players in our team and therefore making sure he's happy by him being on one of the highest salaries in our team doesn't feel inappropriate

I think that it is almost certain that he will be up close to Kane and Lloris with his new deal.

I think that it is almost certain that he will be up close to Kane and Lloris with his new deal.

Yep, as he should be. Just surprises me that him being on £50k is such of an outlier compared to where he should be (half the right level?) that it wasn't tidied up towards the end of last season. He'd walk into any of the other top 6 teams in the PL so there would have been a risk that over the summer one of them taps him up or gets stories into the press about offering him say £150k (3x his current salary). Anyway, hopefully it'll be sorted soon

Yep, as he should be. Just surprises me that him being on £50k is such of an outlier compared to where he should be (half the right level?) that it wasn't tidied up towards the end of last season. He'd walk into any of the other top 6 teams in the PL so there would have been a risk that over the summer one of them taps him up or gets stories into the press about offering him say £150k (3x his current salary). Anyway, hopefully it'll be sorted soon

He's got three years to run on his contract, so the risk was minimal and you would expect that his agents and Alder are fully aware of the timetable for negotiations. It is best to ignore the media stories before and during negotiations or at least, not take them too seriously. It is just a game to get the best deal possible.

Did negotiations not start before window opened? They would have paused for the window, then he left for international duty.
I would expect negotiations to start again next week and new contract before next international break at the very worst.

Maybe so, but I remember people accusing others of getting carried away when rumours started surfacing about Walker wanting to leave to Emirates Marketing Project.

He is arguably our best central defender and his contract expires in under 2 years so I would suggest people are not getting carried away. It is quite reasonable to be concerned about this development

His contract as far as i am aware has three years to run not just under two, but if you feel getting carried away is for you then of course you have every right to do so.

He's got three years to run on his contract, so the risk was minimal and you would expect that his agents and Alder are fully aware of the timetable for negotiations. It is best to ignore the media stories before and during negotiations or at least, not take them too seriously. It is just a game to get the best deal possible.

3 years left...?

Back