• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

It's a shame we are talking about Toby moving on. Back in January in this thread we were saying how it would be great to have him back from injury and how he is an important part of the Team.
How well would we have played this season if we still had Walker? I know it was hard to keep him but these players were integral to our recent squad success to getting CL. We keep letting our best players go..is this helping us move forward.? Who's next? Erikson? Kane maybe? Surely we have to keep a strong core of regulars to build a solid and cohesive Team if we are going to get anywhere...we have lost so many great players to the rich clubs.
This is our downfall...and every time we are on the verge of success...hey presto another important players goes!
Only this time it seems like we have a succession plan. Trippier is no Walker, but he has filled in adequately. Aurier can be Walker or better with some PL experience and a proper pre-season. Sanchez can be a Toby with some PL experience and a proper pre-season. So there will be a slight dip when we lose a key player, but we will become equally strong once their replacement gets up to speed. Who knows, maybe even stronger, but that remains to be seen. The important thing is that we have this succession plan in place, something that we didn't in the past.

I think the core of this discussion is about the fact he, as a player deserve more than we as a club, taking his importance and the economical structure of the club into consideration, can affort to pay him.

the truth is if the club/Levy wants to keep hold of our better players he will have to find a way to pay them more money, its not up to the players to subsidise the cost of NWHL,

He hardly played for athletico didnt he (played 12 games which is nothing IMO)

Hell he also got a CL runners up medal for playing 7 minutes so technically that’s an award

Can’t argue With the last paragraph though

If you are going to go down the route of suggesting a player aged 29 should not be played £X because of what he has or has not won then you are simply giving players at this club ammunition to leave us for other clubs where they can win trophies at a younger age.

If you are going to go down the route of suggesting a player aged 29 should not be played £X because of what he has or has not won then you are simply giving players at this club ammunition to leave us for other clubs where they can win trophies at a younger age.

Well why should he get paid £150k or more then?

What’s he done that’s more than the younger players to merit it?

If people come to me and ask for a pay rise I ignore them if they refer to what someone else is earning....

If they come to me and highlight what they have achieved and the value they ring then I think about it

If people come to me and ask for a pay rise I ignore them if they refer to what someone else is earning....

If they come to me and highlight what they have achieved and the value they ring then I think about it

Just comes down to market rate rather than what someone has achieved.

If the market rate for a CB of TA's standard is £150k (I'm not saying it is) then we risk losing him buy paying a lot below that

The comparison with other's earnings is kind of irrelevant as you as there will always be outliers; its what is 'market' that is more important

Just comes down to market rate rather than what someone has achieved.

If the market rate for a CB of TA's standard is £150k (I'm not saying it is) then we risk losing him buy paying a lot below that

The comparison with other's earnings is kind of irrelevant as you as there will always be outliers; its what is 'market' that is more important

The market rate though would take the average of the centre backs at the top clubs and then use that

I’m fine with that

I’m not fine conparing with an outlier like VVD who gets paid fair more than he merits (their choice)

Toby is/was part of an well oiled machine tuned by Mauricio Pochettino and his team and produced by I believe the best chairman Daniel Levy.
He was just part of a team not 'the' team.
I wish him well as I would with most Tottenham players.
The current trend of uber hype from the media is driving these type of inflated transfers is proving problematic, for the likes of Sanchez, Pogba at Man U.
I'd urge caution with reference to the 'other mans grass'.

Last edited:
I think the core of this discussion is about the fact he, as a player deserve more than we as a club, taking his importance and the economical structure of the club into consideration, can affort to pay him.

So how much does he deserve?

Deserves the wrong word though isn’t it?

Surely that would always be subjective
It is, and that's where we are (if we believe money is the sticking point), Toby thinks he's worth X, the club thinks he's worth Y.

Of course the club may think he's worth X, but we can't afford to pay that. And they probably have valid reasoning as to why not.

It is, and that's where we are (if we believe money is the sticking point), Toby thinks he's worth X, the club thinks he's worth Y.

Of course the club may think he's worth X, but we can't afford to pay that. And they probably have valid reasoning as to why not.

The club will offer him what they believe is right

He has a decision to make and it’s up to him

The club holds all the cards at the moment

In response I would suggest that since he has joined us he has arguably been the best central defender in the league.

I also think the fact that he could easily walk into the starting line up of any team in this league is an indication of his quality.

In response I would suggest that since he has joined us he has arguably been the best central defender in the league.

I also think the fact that he could easily walk into the starting line up of any team in this league is an indication of his quality.

But inferior players have won more to demonstrate their worth

If players wants more money they have to deliver too

Back