• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Ok with some googling and some rumoured facts this is what I have come up with. All from sillyseason.com

Arse
Kolshelny - 75k
Mustafi - 90k

Man Yoo
Smalling - 80k
Rojo - 70k
Jones - 50k

Man bricky
Kompany - 120k
Stones - 120k

Chelski
Cahill - 100k
Azpilicueta - 100k

Liverpoo
VVD - 180k
Lovren -65k

So looking at those wages for the premier league. 130k a season would make Toby the 2nd highest paid CB in the league only behind VVD.

Part of the problem is visibility. Okay, say that I was some sort of high-powered senior manager at Company X. I'm on £100k/year plus bonuses (I wish!). I find out from my old uni mate Virgil, who has a similar role at Company Y, that he's on £200k, albeit without as good a bonus structure. I look at some job adverts and find a few that support this. So in next year's performance review, I tell my boss that I don't think I'm getting paid enough. I'll ask for the £200k that Virgil's on, ignore the bonus structure, but be prepared to take £150k, maybe even less if I like the place. If my boss refuses the pay rise, I've got two pretty obvious choices.

I don't give a damn about the fact that Jan, who's also at Company X and doing a damn fine job for £80k. She's pretty much as good as I am but enjoys being where she is. If she wants to get paid more, she can ask for it. Her body language is brick though.

The thing with football is that everyone knows everyone else's business. It's out there, a badge of honour even. Would you want to work at a company that you feel doesn't value you?

I don't agree with the astronomical sums that footballers are paid. However, the comparison shouldn't be with normal people like you and me, but rather with the superstar stockbrokers, CEOs, etc. They represent the pinnacle of their professions, and of course are lucky that it's a profession where crazy sums of money get thrown around. For the few hundred or so footballers on crazy money -- are there more than 100 of them on £100k+/wk worldwide? -- there are thousands on much more normal wages, and thousands more amateurs at the fat end of the pyramid. Literally, in some cases.

After writing all that, I'm not even sure what my point it. Oh well. That's the internet for you.

But your boss then refers to Piqué who is roughly the same age and has done everything in the job that you haven’t (won trophies) and he is on less than Virgil

Your boss also says that the company paying Virgil may not be in existence soon due to the waves their paying... unless they offload some staff every season making them a less competitive organisation

You’re boss would then refer to the state of the art workplace and the best management in the business to make it an even better place to work

If he is using VVD as the benchmark for negotiation then he can go just now.
He will not get paid that here and the reason VVD is on that is because Liverpool were desperate.

The extra 20k he wants is like 1 million per season, not a huge difference ( saying this with tongue in cheek as its the stupid world of football salaries and income ) but I suppose some of the others may come knocking.

Id still pay it. I believe he is the best CB in the league. But we would also have to pay Kane more than that, and probably Eriksen as well and get Dele over 100k as well. so it has a massive knock on effect.

I feel so sorry for them.
As I said, it's all relative. A rich man who has lost all his riches will be much more miserable than a poor man who never had anything. If that rich man was a good decent human being, I would feel as sorry for him as I do for the poor man.

What 29 year old centre back who hasn’t won a major trophy in world football is earning £170k a week

I can name younger ones who won everything

I can name older ones too

None that I can think of are rumoured to earn that much but i don’t know their contracts

Just googled pique who is 30, literally won everything in the game and he is rumoured to be on £160k a week

He has won major trophies mate. He won La Liga with Atlético Madrid and won multiple titles in Holland, admittedly not too much of a challenge when you play in that league for Ajax but they still count.

Not to mention he has been an integral part of the best or 2nd best defence for 7/8 years in a row iirc? In fact, I’d say he was the catalyst for those great defensive records whilst playing for Ajax, Soton, AM and ourselves.

He has won major trophies mate. He won La Liga with Atlético Madrid and won multiple titles in Holland, admittedly not too much of a challenge when you play in that league for Ajax but they still count.

Not to mention he has been an integral part of the best or 2nd best defence for 7/8 years in a row iirc? In fact, I’d say he was the catalyst for those great defensive records whilst playing for Ajax, Soton, AM and ourselves.

He hardly played for athletico didnt he (played 12 games which is nothing IMO)

Hell he also got a CL runners up medal for playing 7 minutes so technically that’s an award

Can’t argue With the last paragraph though

Ok with some googling and some rumoured facts this is what I have come up with. All from sillyseason.com

Arse
Kolshelny - 75k
Mustafi - 90k

Man Yoo
Smalling - 80k
Rojo - 70k
Jones - 50k

Man bricky
Kompany - 120k
Stones - 120k

Chelski
Cahill - 100k
Azpilicueta - 100k

Liverpoo
VVD - 180k
Lovren -65k

So looking at those wages for the premier league. 130k a season would make Toby the 2nd highest paid CB in the league only behind VVD.
180K. Mad.

Don’t forget the least articulate man in Britain (Jamie Carragher) earns a million AFTER he stopped playing. Boo hoo

Toby can always do tours and pre-match banter like the legends of 61 do. Boo hoo!

I think if money wasn't his top priority, there would be more of a feeling it could be worked out.

But rather than him being greedy, it may just be the case that he wants to really maximise his income due to his age?
Sorry but I don’t buy it’s just about money. He’s almost 30 and hasn’t won any trophies for years now whilst knowing he’s a top CB that would be sought after by several clubs Europe wide who are practically guaranteed silverware. Obviously the money helps but he must think he’s not at the age to stick around and see if we realise our potential or not and he’s got one big move left in him...

Sorry but I don’t buy it’s just about money. He’s almost 30 and hasn’t won any trophies for years now whilst knowing he’s a top CB that would be sought after by several clubs Europe wide who are practically guaranteed silverware. Obviously the money helps but he must think he’s not at the age to stick around and see if we realise our potential or not and he’s got one big move left in him...

Unless he's moving to City or one of the big clubs abroad he won't be guaranteeing himself any more than what he's likely to get by staying here.

Unless he's moving to City or one of the big clubs abroad he won't be guaranteeing himself any more than what he's likely to get by staying here.
They’re the clubs I’m talking about though, in any of Europe’s big leagues the big teams would take him if he’s available I’m pretty confident of that. I certainly hope so anyway, I don’t want him being sold to one of our rivals....

They’re the clubs I’m talking about though, in any of Europe’s big leagues the big teams would take him if he’s available I’m pretty confident of that. I certainly hope so anyway, I don’t want him being sold to one of our rivals....

I see him moving to one of Chelsea United Liverpool or Arsenal, for the money

It's a shame we are talking about Toby moving on. Back in January in this thread we were saying how it would be great to have him back from injury and how he is an important part of the Team.
How well would we have played this season if we still had Walker? I know it was hard to keep him but these players were integral to our recent squad success to getting CL. We keep letting our best players go..is this helping us move forward.? Who's next? Erikson? Kane maybe? Surely we have to keep a strong core of regulars to build a solid and cohesive Team if we are going to get anywhere...we have lost so many great players to the rich clubs.
This is our downfall...and every time we are on the verge of success...hey presto another important players goes!

Back