• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

King would have been written off with that attitude.

If I remember correctly, King as written off by some, in principal every week he couldn't train...

Joke aside, King was unique, doing what shouldn't be possible. (Not sayin that Toby can be the same) But also during a different era, with a completey different Spurs.

I base my opinion on observation on what has happend in the past. You can draw different conclusions from that, but observations are facts, while some of you basing your opinion on assumptions about what is possible in the future.

Toby has massive choices to make

He is at the latter part of his career and up till his injury playing as a lead man in the best side In His career

Does he stick and take a huge salary but not world leading for a player in his position. Sticking could mean still playing a regular role in a side on an upwards curve at a new Megan stadium where he is worshipped

He can twist and force the clubs hands to leave. The club will sell on their terms so he will lose leverage but potentially could sign for a mega club/oil club so make even more money... and potentially end up winning the same amount of trophies (unless he signs for PSG and wins the league)

It all comes down to his ambitions and if it’s purely £££ IMO

Going to anyone in England other than City is not a footballing step up and city doesn’t want/need him

PSG would be a cowards move but a lucrative one

Barca would be a good move but they have a settled pair on Umtiti and Pique

Similarly Madrid would be a step up but they have some quality there already in Varane but again he would get more £££

I do think he could go to Madrid and Varane go to United which has been a rumour for some time... I wouldn’t like that as Varane is better than anything united have

His options are limited I believe but we will see his motivations by his next move

He's turned down our final offer of 130K/week, so I'm afraid he's off in the summer.
That is a pretty big offer to turn down. Although if Toby was made available every other member of the top 6 would be interested and probably prepared to pay him a higher salary than that. Hopefully Barcelona will be interested (I think he would be a good fit for them with his ability on the ball) and we can avoid selling him to a rival.

It's been my personal belief for months that his mind was made up some time ago he wanted out, and that his injury probably only served to crystallize the idea further for him and his agent that it might be his last opportunity for a big move.

At the start of the negotiations, Levy was expressing confidence agreement would be reached, but Pochettino's manner when asked about the player in press conferences more recently led me to believe that situation had altered, and I suspect talks have now ended for good, judging by the tone of the Belgian media reports.

Of course, the club's first choice will be to sell him abroad if he is to go, but interested parties will know that, and I'd expect low-balling as a result, certainly at first. I only hope the imperative for a minimum price doesn't mean we end up contemplating strengthening another top 4 rival, but I do fear we may find ourselves in a position whereby the only way we'll see the sort of money expected for him might lie in that direction.

I think it's going to turn into one of those 'who's going to blink first?' situations that runs right to the end of the summer window (but probably no further than that).

Last edited:
Toby has massive choices to make

He is at the latter part of his career and up till his injury playing as a lead man in the best side In His career

Does he stick and take a huge salary but not world leading for a player in his position. Sticking could mean still playing a regular role in a side on an upwards curve at a new Megan stadium where he is worshipped

He can twist and force the clubs hands to leave. The club will sell on their terms so he will lose leverage but potentially could sign for a mega club/oil club so make even more money... and potentially end up winning the same amount of trophies (unless he signs for PSG and wins the league)

It all comes down to his ambitions and if it’s purely £££ IMO

Going to anyone in England other than City is not a footballing step up and city doesn’t want/need him

PSG would be a cowards move but a lucrative one

Barca would be a good move but they have a settled pair on Umtiti and Pique

Similarly Madrid would be a step up but they have some quality there already in Varane but again he would get more £££

I do think he could go to Madrid and Varane go to United which has been a rumour for some time... I wouldn’t like that as Varane is better than anything united have

His options are limited I believe but we will see his motivations by his next move
I think if money wasn't his top priority, there would be more of a feeling it could be worked out.

But rather than him being greedy, it may just be the case that he wants to really maximise his income due to his age?

If he wants to go for whatever reason fair enough.
But all these sickening tweets about him being 'behind the team' and 'Spurs through and through' inferences annoy me! Just go Toby! no need for all the flannel!

The manager of his national team claims he is fit BTW. So hopefully he will soon be back for us.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....lderweireld-spurs-injury-belgium-14436103.amp
I would like you all to remember a thing that Danny Rose said in an interview not long ago. He said that he was fit enough to play in probably any other team, but not quite fit and ready enough to play for Spurs under Pochettino.

It's the same thing with Toby.
You guys are making a storm in a glass of water! It's hilarious how many conspiracy theories you manage to create out of nothing! It's incredible!

Anyone with half a brain/sound advisers would look at the career trajectory of all the players who have succeeded under Poch once they have left his tutelage.

3 more seasons excelling at the top vs 1 big money season followed by 2 in a second rate backwater.

He's already seen it with Ajax to Athletico to Southampton
The problem with footballers is their career is quite short. They have to make enough money in 10 years that the rest of us have 45 years to make. And yes, I agree that they will probably make more in their 10 years than we will make in 110 years, but they are also looking to maintain at least half the lifestyle they had while they were earning their money. So as even though their career trajectory might be better at a particular club, that only accounts for 3-4 years of their life. They also have to think about the rest of their life. So I totally understand Toby's position. It is not a matter of disloyalty, but rather prudence. And for those who may say "but how much money do they need to live comfortably?" it is all relative. It is very difficult for someone who is used to making a few million a year to go to a £75K/year lifestyle. Most of us wouldn't understand that, but someone who has been in this position would.

The problem with footballers is their career is quite short. They have to make enough money in 10 years that the rest of us have 45 years to make. And yes, I agree that they will probably make more in their 10 years than we will make in 110 years, but they are also looking to maintain at least half the lifestyle they had while they were earning their money. So as even though their career trajectory might be better at a particular club, that only accounts for 3-4 years of their life. They also have to think about the rest of their life. So I totally understand Toby's position. It is not a matter of disloyalty, but rather prudence. And for those who may say "but how much money do they need to live comfortably?" it is all relative. It is very difficult for someone who is used to making a few million a year to go to a £75K/year lifestyle. Most of us wouldn't understand that, but someone who has been in this position would.

Completely true, but all decisions bring risk - Toby is going to want some combination of best money, club & playing time

Super easy to say x club can pay me 50% more wages, but it didn't work out for him previously in Spain and it could fail for him (with the added issues of his injuries) in another move. If (and we don't know), there is a significant length contract at 130k +bonuses here for him, it's hard to understand his desire to move unless it's a Barca/Real/PSG where he will get 2X wages and easy silverware.

I feel so sorry for them.

But these players are not poor and it’s not like we’re offering him poor wages

£100k a week is £20m over 4 years

That’s phenomenal money
Oh I agree.

You'd think that once you're above a certain level in £s per week, you're decision might be based on location, environment, team dynamics, manager etc BUT maybe I'm underestimating that inside the football bubble....your wage packet is everything?

Not really. They can get a normal job when their career is finished.

Top players don't have to anyway. Alderweireld will earn enough money, even at Tottenham, to be able to sit on his arse for the rest of his life without doing a thing, and his wife can do equally little. He will earn more in less than half a year than I will earn in my entire life. I really struggle to sympathise with players who earn that much and still complain about not making enough.

The cost of replacing him would be very high. But this is a point we now keep coming up with in regard to our players and our wages.

Looking at it from Toby's point of view. He probably thinks he is one of, if not the best CB in the premier league at the moment. So looking at comparative wages he wants more. 150k is probably in
the lower region of wages for Top center backs in the league. So in a way he is giving us a discount. I don't have the facts but id love to know the wages of all the center backs at the top 6 sides
and see where Toby's 150k demand would come in.

All this talk about what they earn in a career does not matter. It comes down to players looking at other players earning more than them and asking why?

For me. Id pay the man. 20m over 4 years is nothing compared to what we would have to pay to replace him. Foyth is not ready, Jan is getting older, CCV is unproven. Even if we sell him for
say 40m. We would have to pay that or more to get a like for like replacement. And who says their wages would be much better.

Oh I agree.

You'd think that once you're above a certain level in £s per week, you're decision might be based on location, environment, team dynamics, manager etc BUT maybe I'm underestimating that inside the football bubble....your wage packet is everything?

That’s what lanes brother has always said about Harry

He earns more than enough money already and will earn more throughout his career

The ability of a short career is very true but with more most EPL players earning over 20k a week and the UK average being £25k a year... they earn in a year what the average man earns in a working lifetime

Their also insured for injuries in case they cannot play

And they have other endorsements to bump up there earnings

Money is huge for everyone but much much less so for an ambitious footballer

The cost of replacing him would be very high. But this is a point we now keep coming up with in regard to our players and our wages.

Looking at it from Toby's point of view. He probably thinks he is one of, if not the best CB in the premier league at the moment. So looking at comparative wages he wants more. 150k is probably in
the lower region of wages for Top center backs in the league. So in a way he is giving us a discount. I don't have the facts but id love to know the wages of all the center backs at the top 6 sides
and see where Toby's 150k demand would come in.

All this talk about what they earn in a career does not matter. It comes down to players looking at other players earning more than them and asking why?

For me. Id pay the man. 20m over 4 years is nothing compared to what we would have to pay to replace him. Foyth is not ready, Jan is getting older, CCV is unproven. Even if we sell him for
say 40m. We would have to pay that or more to get a like for like replacement. And who says their wages would be much better.

What 29 year old centre back who hasn’t won a major trophy in world football is earning £170k a week

I can name younger ones who won everything

I can name older ones too

None that I can think of are rumoured to earn that much but i don’t know their contracts

Just googled pique who is 30, literally won everything in the game and he is rumoured to be on £160k a week

Part of the problem is visibility. Okay, say that I was some sort of high-powered senior manager at Company X. I'm on £100k/year plus bonuses (I wish!). I find out from my old uni mate Virgil, who has a similar role at Company Y, that he's on £200k, albeit without as good a bonus structure. I look at some job adverts and find a few that support this. So in next year's performance review, I tell my boss that I don't think I'm getting paid enough. I'll ask for the £200k that Virgil's on, ignore the bonus structure, but be prepared to take £150k, maybe even less if I like the place. If my boss refuses the pay rise, I've got two pretty obvious choices.

I don't give a damn about the fact that Jan, who's also at Company X and doing a damn fine job for £80k. She's pretty much as good as I am but enjoys being where she is. If she wants to get paid more, she can ask for it. Her body language is brick though.

The thing with football is that everyone knows everyone else's business. It's out there, a badge of honour even. Would you want to work at a company that you feel doesn't value you?

I don't agree with the astronomical sums that footballers are paid. However, the comparison shouldn't be with normal people like you and me, but rather with the superstar stockbrokers, CEOs, etc. They represent the pinnacle of their professions, and of course are lucky that it's a profession where crazy sums of money get thrown around. For the few hundred or so footballers on crazy money -- are there more than 100 of them on £100k+/wk worldwide? -- there are thousands on much more normal wages, and thousands more amateurs at the fat end of the pyramid. Literally, in some cases.

After writing all that, I'm not even sure what my point it. Oh well. That's the internet for you.

Back