• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I think it just shows that it wasn't AVBs fault, or Tim's fault. There aren't enough characters in the squad.

But I don't necessarily blame the players. Many of them are new, the team spirit has been shot this year because of all the new arrivals and I'm not surprised it's taken some time for some of them to be comfortable. They likely will be next year, but I put massive blame on the club for the ridiculous expectations they wanted to set even though Bale was leaving. ****ing idiotic.

your right about characters...

I however blame the players... How Lloris & Verts think they are champs league standard after that I dont know.....I think we have ability but the attitudes stink..

It's all well and good making a good speech; the proof ultimately of a good coach is the tactics, preparation, grittiness, fortitude etc that he can instill in the team, and which lead to good results and allow the team to go toe-to-toe against the big boys and not continually capitulate when the team hits a wrong turn within a match.

AVB wasn't much better in that regard. Sometimes you need strong players to win difficult games. If we've learned anything this season, it's that we don't have any.

I think it just shows that it wasn't AVBs fault, or Tim's fault. There aren't enough characters in the squad.

But I don't necessarily blame the players. Many of them are new, the team spirit has been shot this year because of all the new arrivals and I'm not surprised it's taken some time for some of them to be comfortable. They likely will be next year, but I put massive blame on the club for the ridiculous expectations they wanted to set even though Bale was leaving. ****ing idiotic.

OMG.

You saw who Baldini brought in and praised him for business in the summer. You even claimed we can fight for the title....now you're saying our squad isn't good enough and there's not enough character. If that's the case....you are indeed guilty of the same mistakes you blame the board for.

AVB wasn't much better in that regard. Sometimes you need strong players to win difficult games. If we've learned anything this season, it's that we don't have any.

Actually, I very much beg to differ (see last season) but this is the TS thread so we'll leave it there...

How much is down to players and their lack of 'character'? How much is down to the system they are playing in?

The players who lacked 'character' today, have they always lacked 'character'?

Actually, I very much beg to differ (see last season) but this is the TS thread so we'll leave it there...

I'm looking at last season and all I see is Gareth Bale.

How much is down to players and their lack of 'character'? How much is down to the system they are playing in?

The system wasn't doing too badly until Jan ****ed it all up, which was then compounded by a ref mistake. Tim's tactics and preparation were spot on.

See the second part of my post: you need strong players to win strong games. Say what you want about Bale, but he was stupendously determined to score goals and win games in the 2012-2013 season, all by himself if necessary. We haven't had that kind of ruthless determination since, and it has hurt us. How many times did we play badly last year, only for Bale to bail us out with a great cross or wonderful long-range goal? almost too many to count. Not sure AVB had much to do with that. But you're right, this discussion is for a different thread.

The system wasn't doing too badly until Jan ****ed it all up, which was then compounded by a ref mistake. Tim's tactics and preparation were spot on.

Last season? We held on in several iffy situations to salvage draws, including when down go ten men at key times. Go check...

System was indeed good until Jan's brainfart...but why does one unlucky incident have to be a domino effect for capitulation? Like vs City? Why was there no plan to stick it out and just do damage limitation? 2-0 down with 10 men, just shut up shop. The better managers can and often do it.

Im glad im not the only one who thinks this way...

yeah Chelsea had to pull off sublime skill to craft us open...yeah right!!!

I reckon There would be a right shake up in the summer....probably will be whoevers in charge.

I feel for Sherwood after that tbh

We looked more than a match for Chelsea the way he had us set up - individual errors undone all the good preparation - he didn't deserve that result IMV

obviously there is an argument to be made that the buck stops with the manager and he is in the position to effect how the team reacts in these situations - but it isn't a unique event that can only be attributed to a Sherwood Spurs team so im not sure it's fair to look at him as the party to blame.

See the second part of my post: you need strong players to win strong games. Say what you want about Bale, but he was stupendously determined to score goals and win games in the 2012-2013 season, all by himself if necessary. We haven't had that kind of ruthless determination since, and it has hurt us. How many times did we play badly last year, only for Bale to bail us out with a great cross or wonderful long-range goal? almost too many to count. Not sure AVB had much to do with that. But you're right, this discussion is for a different thread.

I agree we often played badly, but rather than Bale I was more referring to our ability to mostly hang on in there in games when things weren't going our way. Going down to ten men didn't automatically mean capitulation that is seems to these days (and for many years previous to last season as well tbf)..anyway just wanted to clarify what I was referring to. As we've both said further discussion on this is for another thread!

Last season? We held on in several iffy situations to salvage draws, including when down go ten men at key times. Go check...

System was indeed good until Jan's brainfart...but why does one unlucky incident have to be a domino effect for capitulation? Like vs City? Why was there no plan to stick it out and just do damage limitation? 2-0 down with 10 men, just shut up shop. The better managers can and often do it.

We had two red cards all season, you'll have to remind me of these heroic 10 man performances. All that happened under AVB was us generally playing like **** and Bale winning us the points, Bale left and AVB was exposed for what he really is. Tim's shown far more balls and tactical flexibility in a three months than AVB did in 18.

Better managers normally work wirh better players?

We had two red cards all season, you'll have to remind me of these heroic 10 man performances. All that happened under AVB was us generally playing like **** and Bale winning us the points, Bale left and AVB was exposed for what he really is. Tim's shown far more balls and tactical flexibility in a three months than AVB did in 18.

Basle Europa League, we could easily have capitulated in that game, especially as we were tired had extra time etc; I'm sure there were others that apart from Arsenal away didn't automatically lead to 4-goal defeats..

OMG.

You saw who Baldini brought in and praised him for business in the summer. You even claimed we can fight for the title....now you're saying our squad isn't good enough and there's not enough character. If that's the case....you are indeed guilty of the same mistakes you blame the board for.

Yes mate before a ball was kicked I thought we could. When we won the first few games I thought we were on the right track. Then it became clear we were going to be inconsistent and the players wouldn't be in a state to perform week after week because they were so new. I'm not making this an AVB thing. I'm saying Tim is also not to blame. Neither manager can do much when they've inherited a team that just isn't a team yet. In terms of talent we have one of the best squads in the league. In terms of being a team, and in terms of ability in this league, we are crap. Because they haven't settled yet and they haven't gelled.

And it would be no ones fault of the whole club understood that and gave the players time. But for some reason, as Tim had just said, the club still thinks they should be top 4. I'm massively on Tim's side here. The club need to wake up. And they should have woken up once Bale left.

I may have said we were title contenders before a ball was kicked (I actually said if we kept Bale we could be, and if we replaced him well we could be top 3) but at the end of the day I don't have the responsibility of running this club. I can admit I'm wrong when I am. But I was saying a manager, whoever that is, needs time rather than setting ridiculous expectations that can't be achieved with a squad that just isn't a team yet.

This is the Tim Sherwood thread so I apologise for going off topic but I just don't agree with you at all mate. We went behind after 15 seconds at Eastlands and everyone at the ground that day, me included knew it was game over.

In addition to the emerging superstar that is Bale we had battlers like Parker and Dempsey who at least would fight for the cause and, in Clint's case, pop up with the odd key goal such as the winner at Old Trafford thus ending a 23 year hoodoo against Fergie. Not much of those qualities present in our current squad, apart from perhaps Sandro and Dawson, so when we lose it's often a hammering as we lack the real top notch quality to conceal those mental frailties.

Last edited:

This is the Tim Sherwood thread so I apologise for going off topic but I just don't agree with you at all mate. We went behind after 15 seconds at Eastlands and everyone at the ground that day, me included knew it was game over.

I was talking more about last season...that was the only time I felt that we had the mental fortitude to handle such iffy situations and just 'hang on in there'. AVB brought that to the table last season at least. We've gone and lost that mental fortitude this year and I don't see TS bring it back sadly

They are new to the country, they haven't gelled as a team yet, they need time to find their place in the group and be comfortable in this country. All the while they are not, it will translate into **** performances.

Last season most of the squad had Prem league experience. They settled easier and had a good spirit. This group just needs time, and the club have been stupid for not giving the playing staff the time to settle in. I blame Levy and Lewis for the absolute horror that this season has turned out to be.

Back