• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2014-2015

Re: Which youngster will break through this season?

Mason looked the best of the youngsters against Toronto.

Agreed, very calm, neat passing, popping the ball around, nice through ball to set up the first goal

That's pretty **** tbh, just like Carroll to qpr was last season, if they're not good enough at this age then it's a worry in terms of ultimate progression to the first team. Maybe he's not "the one"?

I think some patience is fair.

- Morgan Schneiderlin is 24 now, when he finished his last season in the Championship two years ago he was 22. A year ago he was rated, but not enough for a club our size to make a huge move it would seem. Now we're reportedly fighting Arsenal for the right to sign him and a lot of us as fans at least think he would be a fantastic signing. Not quite the same as Carroll, but capable of playing a somewhat similar role.

- Adam Lallana is 26 now, when he finished his last season in the Championship two years ago he was 23-24. Rated highly enough now for Liverpool to spend around £25m on him. Not an altogether dissimilar player to Pritchard perhaps.

-Michael Carrick did break through early in the PL with West Ham, but then spent a year in the Championship when he was around 22. There he did well enough for us to sign him, but wasn't so stand out that the top 4 went for him. Had his early years been at a better club he probably wouldn't have gotten all that many PL games early on.

Yes it seems like most of the world class/superstar players have a career trajectory that's quite a bit quicker, but I think it's pretty clear that you can have a slower development into regular PL football and still become a very good PL footballer with a high value to a top team.

Having watched the way Lamela, Lennon and Eriksen worked behind Soldado, I think Pritchard could fit into that system

shame hes no longer with us then

We have the option of a call back in January.

Smart move his loan; Poch will need to try out the seniors first, especially in Europa. By January he will have a good idea who needs to be jettisoned; if Pritchard is pulling trees at Brentford, he would possibly be worth bringing back for the rest of the season.

Mason looked the best of the youngsters against Toronto.

Cellabos looked like he had potential but was trying too hard.
Windy has been talking up Mason

- Morgan Schneiderlin is 24 now, when he finished his last season in the Championship two years ago he was 22. A year ago he was rated, but not enough for a club our size to make a huge move it would seem. Now we're reportedly fighting Arsenal for the right to sign him and a lot of us as fans at least think he would be a fantastic signing. Not quite the same as Carroll, but capable of playing a somewhat similar role.

- Adam Lallana is 26 now, when he finished his last season in the Championship two years ago he was 23-24. Rated highly enough now for Liverpool to spend around £25m on him. Not an altogether dissimilar player to Pritchard perhaps.

-Michael Carrick did break through early in the PL with West Ham, but then spent a year in the Championship when he was around 22. There he did well enough for us to sign him, but wasn't so stand out that the top 4 went for him. Had his early years been at a better club he probably wouldn't have gotten all that many PL games early on.

Yes it seems like most of the world class/superstar players have a career trajectory that's quite a bit quicker, but I think it's pretty clear that you can have a slower development into regular PL football and still become a very good PL footballer with a high value to a top team.
Top post. Great points

Absolutely, but these are quite clearly the exceptions rather than the rules.

I'm not unhappy he's going on loan, it's just the level he's going to that's the issue for me.

Pritchard scored twice for brentford :(

Absolutely, but these are quite clearly the exceptions rather than the rules.

I'm not unhappy he's going on loan, it's just the level he's going to that's the issue for me.

Not entirely sure it's the exceptions. Perhaps a smaller % of top team players, but not just the exceptions. If you include players signed from abroad quite a few were playing at a much lower level than the PL in their early twenties.

I would rather see him go to a Championship team that suits his style of play where he gets games week in week out than go to a PL club and be used as a bit part player. A fairly limited number of PL teams that play a style suitable for Pritchard imo.

Pritchard scored twice for brentford :(

Great news surely! He's gone there to develop by playing a lot of first team football, getting a good start could be vital.

Great news surely! He's gone there to develop by playing a lot of first team football, getting a good start could be vital.

Brentford is as good a place as any to go on loan. A club very much on the up and it's in London.

Their current manager, Mark Warburton, is an interesting guy. He began his playing career as an apprentice at Leicester City under Frank McLintock and later dropped into non-league football with Enfield, winning the 1981/82 FA Trophy and the 1982/83 Alliance Premier League title, after taking a dislike to new Leicester manager Jock Wallace's methods, later saying "he was a Marine. We had runs on sand-dunes, running until we threw up. I learned a lot from that, never treating a player that way". Moved to the US in 85 and played a bit there before cruciate injuries ended his career.

Worked as a trader before taking up a part-time role at St. Clement Danes School in Watford. Looking back in 2014 on his time in the City, he said "I was a currency dealer for the likes of Bank of America, AIG and RBS. I was getting up at 4:32 for 20-odd years, leave the house at 4:52, get the 5:02 train into Liverpool Street, at my desk at 5:45, getting home at 7pm and take phone calls through the night, orders from New York. I was well paid, good at what I did. There was a lot of risk, a lot of pressure. My personal turnover would be £1.5 billion to £2 billion a day".

He later said to his wife, "we have the money in the bank, the house is paid for, our lifestyle won’t change. I want to do this: 10 years to achieve something in the game. It’s now or never". After leaving his trading job in the early 2000s, he spent his own money travelling around Europe, watching coaching sessions at Sporting Lisbon, Ajax, Valencia, Barcelona and Willem II. Warburton was offered a permanent coaching job with Watford, at U9 through to U16 level and was appointed manager of the academy in 2006. After a reshuffle in 2009, he became assistant academy manager for U17 to U19 age groups. While at Watford, he established links with Harefield Academy. Warburton left Watford in February 2010 to "pursue other sporting interests".

Warburton and sports TV producer Justin Andrews met in 2005, while working on the Inside Soccer project. The pair formed Cycad Sports Management in 2010 and through the company they launched the NextGen Series, an U19 club cup competition. Brentford owner Matthew Benham was also a backer of the competition.

In February 2011 he was appointed first team coach at Brentford to assist caretaker manager Nicky Forster. "I got a call from the owner at 1.30 in the morning, asking if I would come in to assist Nicky. I didn't know a lot about Brentford or know any of the players, so I stayed up for the rest of the night looking at player profiles". Forster was later given the role on a permanent basis until the end of the 2010–11 season. Forster and Warburton applied unsuccessfully for the manager's job in the summer of 2011 and the position went to Uwe Rösler. Warburton commented that he was "disappointed and annoyed" about failing to secure the manager's job.

Warburton was retained by the club and moved into the role of Sporting Director in the summer of 2011, a new position created by an internal restructuring of the club. His role included dealing with agents, club finances and contracts, in addition to scouting young players and recommending them to the management. Warburton's links with the academy at Watford saw Brentford sign a number of players with Hornets connections. Also helped Brentford achieve Category Two academy status in July 2013 and they opened a new purpose-built facility last year on the grounds of Uxbridge High School.

After Rösler left for Wigan he eventually got the manager's job and helped recruit former Liverpool academy chief Frank McParland as their new Sporting director. Brentford went 19 games unbeaten before he suffered his first loss, at the hands of Wolves. Got them promotion with a win ratio of almost 63%. Definitely one to watch and a good place to be for younger players IMO.

Harry Winks just signed a new contract and has been touted to be around the first team this season...

Warburton certainly sounds like the right type of coach for Pritchard to be working with. Best to remember that the lad has the chance to cancel the loan in January, so if he does do well, there may be people looking at him from the EPL.

From - http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/alex-pritchard-bags-brace-vs-nice.html

He (Pritchard) played behind the striker in an interchanging three, much the same way as Tottenham are playing under Mauricio Pochettino. That sort of role will be great for his development as he learns new skills, how to operate in different areas of the field, gets plenty of shooting chances and can hone his running off the ball and through passing.

He was the star of the show, not just for his goals but for producing some of the best attacking moves fr Brentford. An excellent start to his loan spell there.

Brentford is as good a place as any to go on loan. A club very much on the up and it's in London.

Their current manager, Mark Warburton, is an interesting guy. He began his playing career as an apprentice at Leicester City under Frank McLintock and later dropped into non-league football with Enfield, winning the 1981/82 FA Trophy and the 1982/83 Alliance Premier League title, after taking a dislike to new Leicester manager Jock Wallace's methods, later saying "he was a Marine. We had runs on sand-dunes, running until we threw up. I learned a lot from that, never treating a player that way". Moved to the US in 85 and played a bit there before cruciate injuries ended his career.

Worked as a trader before taking up a part-time role at St. Clement Danes School in Watford. Looking back in 2014 on his time in the City, he said "I was a currency dealer for the likes of Bank of America, AIG and RBS. I was getting up at 4:32 for 20-odd years, leave the house at 4:52, get the 5:02 train into Liverpool Street, at my desk at 5:45, getting home at 7pm and take phone calls through the night, orders from New York. I was well paid, good at what I did. There was a lot of risk, a lot of pressure. My personal turnover would be £1.5 billion to £2 billion a day".

He later said to his wife, "we have the money in the bank, the house is paid for, our lifestyle won’t change. I want to do this: 10 years to achieve something in the game. It’s now or never". After leaving his trading job in the early 2000s, he spent his own money travelling around Europe, watching coaching sessions at Sporting Lisbon, Ajax, Valencia, Barcelona and Willem II. Warburton was offered a permanent coaching job with Watford, at U9 through to U16 level and was appointed manager of the academy in 2006. After a reshuffle in 2009, he became assistant academy manager for U17 to U19 age groups. While at Watford, he established links with Harefield Academy. Warburton left Watford in February 2010 to "pursue other sporting interests".

Warburton and sports TV producer Justin Andrews met in 2005, while working on the Inside Soccer project. The pair formed Cycad Sports Management in 2010 and through the company they launched the NextGen Series, an U19 club cup competition. Brentford owner Matthew Benham was also a backer of the competition.

In February 2011 he was appointed first team coach at Brentford to assist caretaker manager Nicky Forster. "I got a call from the owner at 1.30 in the morning, asking if I would come in to assist Nicky. I didn't know a lot about Brentford or know any of the players, so I stayed up for the rest of the night looking at player profiles". Forster was later given the role on a permanent basis until the end of the 2010–11 season. Forster and Warburton applied unsuccessfully for the manager's job in the summer of 2011 and the position went to Uwe Rösler. Warburton commented that he was "disappointed and annoyed" about failing to secure the manager's job.

Warburton was retained by the club and moved into the role of Sporting Director in the summer of 2011, a new position created by an internal restructuring of the club. His role included dealing with agents, club finances and contracts, in addition to scouting young players and recommending them to the management. Warburton's links with the academy at Watford saw Brentford sign a number of players with Hornets connections. Also helped Brentford achieve Category Two academy status in July 2013 and they opened a new purpose-built facility last year on the grounds of Uxbridge High School.

After Rösler left for Wigan he eventually got the manager's job and helped recruit former Liverpool academy chief Frank McParland as their new Sporting director. Brentford went 19 games unbeaten before he suffered his first loss, at the hands of Wolves. Got them promotion with a win ratio of almost 63%. Definitely one to watch and a good place to be for younger players IMO.

Fair enough, don't know much about brentford, just seemed an underwhelming loan for someone I saw as our highest potential youth product.

Warbuton sounds like he's living the dream, fair play to him.

After Rösler left for Wigan he eventually got the manager's job and helped recruit former Liverpool academy chief Frank McParland as their new Sporting director. Brentford went 19 games unbeaten before he suffered his first loss, at the hands of Wolves. Got them promotion with a win ratio of almost 63%. Definitely one to watch and a good place to be for younger players IMO.[/QUOTE

very interesting story, thanks for posting, goes to show, anything is possible with dedication and commitment.
and Kane is still young, i wonder how he'll do this season, he seemed to show improvement last season, he's more dangerous than soldado but thats not saying much

I like to look of Ryan Fredericks. Him and Walker should be competing for that spot.

Back