• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2014-2015

Re: Which youngster will break through this season?

Ceballos was training with the first team today. That's him and Falque here:

BsgW8ZMIEAA7yvH.jpg

Yes, I know that Ceballos is currently training with the first team. All the fringe players are. Always happens at this time of year. That's why I said that this could be his last chance to impress. If he fails to make his mark now, with a new manager with an open mind in charge, then he's at an age when he needs to move on.

Pritchard isn't young though is he? I think he will be 25 this year and has done Ok in lower leagues. Not sure he is that good personally.

The young CB who made a sub appearance last year. Velkovic I think. He looked good.

[TWEET]K[/TWEET]
Pritchard isn't young though is he? I think he will be 25 this year and has done Ok in lower leagues. Not sure he is that good personally.

The young CB who made a sub appearance last year. Velkovic I think. He looked good.

Pricthard is 21

Pritchard will make a break through. He won't be as impressive as the other two that make a break through.

Velkovic will play a good number of games this season. I think he'll be the surprise player.

Isn't he in the process of moving from CB to DM though?

[TWEET]K[/TWEET]

Pricthard is 21

Only recently 21 at that. And he is behind in his development, compared to some of his peers, because he is so small. Despite his obvious talent, he wasn't sent out on loan until he was nearly 20. I think the club feared that he would be broken into pieces if they'd exposed him to the lower leagues any earlier. Last season will have done him the world of good. He's probably bulked up a bit - and certainly toughened up a lot - and is better able to handle the physicality of senior football now.

So I have some hope that he can still make the grade for Spurs as a late developer. If he gets his chance this coming season, I'm confident that he'll relish playing alongside better players.

I think we will absolutely see a couple of youngsters this season as Poch wants it to happen at the expense of average more senior squaddies…I would happily take a development year if it meant bringing through a few very talented kids…we must balance the present with the future.

Lameiras, Vejlkovic, Ceballos, Falque, any chance we can produce a good young English player through our youth system?

Kane and Carroll are the only two I can immediately think of and neither of them have set the world on fire.

I liked the look of Fredericks last year, seems like a clone of walker (unsure as to wether this is good or bad) but should be able to stand in for walker with no disruption to our style of play.

Only recently 21 at that. And he is behind in his development, compared to some of his peers, because he is so small. Despite his obvious talent, he wasn't sent out on loan until he was nearly 20. I think the club feared that he would be broken into pieces if they'd exposed him to the lower leagues any earlier. Last season will have done him the world of good. He's probably bulked up a bit - and certainly toughened up a lot - and is better able to handle the physicality of senior football now.

So I have some hope that he can still make the grade for Spurs as a late developer. If he gets his chance this coming season, I'm confident that he'll relish playing alongside better players.
He's looked excellent when I have seen him. I hope that he breaks through but if he doesn't I am sure that he will get a chance somewhere else. IIRC Inglethorpe tried to poach him when he moved to Liverpool.

What about that young Argentinian kid, Lamela, is it?? 8-[

I don't know much about our youngsters other than what I read on here, but I'd like to see a bit more of Carrol in the first team, if he's up for it. Talented kid that.

Lameiras, Vejlkovic, Ceballos, Falque, any chance we can produce a good young English player through our youth system?

Kane and Carroll are the only two I can immediately think of and neither of them have set the world on fire.

We've produced plenty of decent English players over the past few years (even if no real standouts) and there are many more in the pipeline. Kane and Carroll, yes. But also Townsend, Caulker, Livermore, Rose and Pritchard among others. Remember that our youth set up was a neglected joke under Sugar for many years. It was only in 2004-05 that ENIC implemented root and branch change to the academy's staff, philosophy and budget. Ask anyone involved in youth football in England and they will tell you that we now have one of the very best youth systems in the country.

We are only now beginning to see the fruits of that labour. The likes of Townsend, Kane and Carroll are just the beginning. There is much more and much better to come. And most of it (since it obviously concerns you!) is English.

Last edited:

I liked the look of Fredericks last year, seems like a clone of walker (unsure as to wether this is good or bad) but should be able to stand in for walker with no disruption to our style of play.

Fredericks is a good shout. After a shaky first few minutes when making his senior debut at HT against Anzhi in the Euros he went on to impress mightily, showing pace and real intelligence going forward as well as the potential to deliver consistently better crosses than most at Tottenham.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013...ns-react-on-twitter-to-ryan-fredericks-debut/

Tottenham Hotspur have a new hero in the form of Ryan Fredericks.

Les Ferdinand described him in the ITV studio as 'Kyle Walker-esque', and alreadySpurs fans are raving about him being better than Kyle Naughton.

Ryan Fredericks made his Tottenham debut off the bench last night against Anzhi Makhachkala in a 4-1 win, playing for 45 minutes.
He came on for Danny Rose, but played in his more comfortable position on the right with Kyle Naughton switching to the left, and did enough surely to warrant further opportunities with the first team.

Fredericks is no teenager, he is a 21-year-old, the same age as Erik Lamela, but has had just one brief loan spell at Brentford as a taste of first team action previously last season.

His pace clearly worried the Anzhi defence, as he won the penalty win a driving run which Roberto Soldado converted for his hat-trick.
In the 45 minutes Fredericks was on the pitch, he provided three key passes, more than any Spurs player the entire game.
He also made three tackles - the second highest in the entire Spurs side - and two clearances, more than Danny Rose did during his 45 minutes.

It was an immensely promising performance from the player, who appeared determined not to let the rare chance pass him by.

My understanding was that Fredericks was not particularly rated

Time for Carroll to make the step up. I've liked him every time I've seen him for Spurs or England U21s but it's about time he makes a real stab at establishing himself at Spurs, especially considering the lack of creativity in our centre midfield. Hopefully he's given an opportunity by Poch.

Saying that we've also got Bentaleb and Pritchard as midfield prospects alongside the returning Holtby so it's going to be very difficult, considering the number of players that we have, for any of them to get consistent playing time. Other than in the early stages of cups will Poch be able to involve these players?

Hopefully we'll see more from the likes of Townsend and Kane who showed themselves to be good squad options last year. If they can continue to improve and become more important players in the team then that should also be considered a breakthrough too.

In the event of an injury crisis in either of their respective positions Vejlkovic and Archer could be more involved this season but I doubt it.

Other than that I can't really see any other players getting involved. The like of Ceballos and Fredericks will go the route of Obika alongside in my opinion. Keep them around until we can establish them as professional footballers and then sell them on at a profit. Sadly the academy is first and foremost a business, and ours is looking very profitable at the moment

We've produced plenty of decent English players over the past few years (even if no real standouts) and there are many more in the pipeline. Kane and Carroll, yes. But also Townsend, Caulker, Livermore, Rose and Pritchard among others. Remember that our youth set up was a neglected joke under Sugar for many years. It was only in 2004-05 that ENIC implemented root and branch change to the academy's staff, philosophy and budget. Ask anyone involved in youth football in England and they will tell you that we now have one of the very best youth systems in the country.

We are only now beginning to see the fruits of that labour. The likes of Townsend, Kane and Carroll are just the beginning. There is much more and much better to come. And most of it (since it obviously concerns you!) is English.

That is good to hear that we have a decent youth system in place. I have to admit I'd forgotten that the 5 you mention had come through our system but only two are in our first team squad.

It does concern me that there seems to be an amount of "foreign" players coming through the system as I feel too many clubs bring through overseas talent to the detriment of English players and in the long term the national football team.

Back