• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

I remember two attempts to catch a cross
Don't remember rondon having a shot and thought he polled physical but limited in front of goal
I didn't have a great stream though

It isn't criticism of our unbeaten streak, as I said: personally, the positive is that our unbeaten run goes on, whatever the circumstances, and that can't be overlooked. However, it shouldn't always be stated as a prerequisite to criticising individual performances, that's all. And no, it's fine to come in arguing for context and the bigger picture, as long as you can also see that the micro-level display was inadequate today, and not insist on the prefacing of every comment with 'but the bigger picture is good'.

Look at the post SMC made on the previous page that you quoted. Just about only about our unbeaten run, putting in the disclaimer that today was frustrating. Injected into a conversation about our unbeaten run where some people are being negative about it...

Look at your response to him when you quote him. "Come on, mate, we were very poor today." you start out... just about a total non-sequitur. If anything it seems that any positive post about our current situation needs to include a statement about our most recent performance, and even when that is actually included the response you get is "Come on, mate, we were very poor today."

If you think that makes for a good argument about context and the bigger picture you're mistaken. If you think that means that every negative post needs to be prefaced by the bigger picture, you're just not reading SMC's post. Quite the opposite, it seems that any post looking at context and the bigger picture just isn't warranted in the direct aftermath of a disappointing result or performance. Because the conversation will always be steered towards the disappointment of the game.

The only stat that matters is 3 points next weekend.

Then we can make a habit of it and put a run of wins together. You worry about us scoring enough goals, but they are there. Alli, Eriksen, Son, Lamela and Njie all capable. Need to rebound against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Look at the post SMC made on the previous page that you quoted. Just about only about our unbeaten run, putting in the disclaimer that today was frustrating. Injected into a conversation about our unbeaten run where some people are being negative about it...

Look at your response to him when you quote him. "Come on, mate, we were very poor today." you start out... just about a total non-sequitur. If anything it seems that any positive post about our current situation needs to include a statement about our most recent performance, and even when that is actually included the response you get is "Come on, mate, we were very poor today."

If you think that makes for a good argument about context and the bigger picture you're mistaken. If you think that means that every negative post needs to be prefaced by the bigger picture, you're just not reading SMC's post. Quite the opposite, it seems that any post looking at context and the bigger picture just isn't warranted in the direct aftermath of a disappointing result or performance. Because the conversation will always be steered towards the disappointment of the game.

I think we're at cross-purposes a bit here. SMC said this....

'14 unbeaten.

Now, let's look at it again.

14 unbeaten, by the youngest team in the Premier League.

14 unbeaten playing attacking football in keeping with our proud tradition.

14 unbeaten in the most competitive league in the World (Leicester are top FFS, not Chel53a or City or Utd but Leicester).

14 unbeaten with a team mainly made up of academy players.

14 unbeaten after no net spend for quite a while.

Yes we draw too much, I was as frustrated as anyone after the final whistle, especially after seeing the Goons go 2nd but for once in your lives look at the overwhelming positives.

This team is going places, it's most probably the best I've seen, in terms of cost and age ratios. We have one of the best strikers around in Kane, Eriksen is like a mix of Van der Vaart and Del Piero, Delle Ali is just immense, Jan and Toby part of an incredible defence, Loris the best keeper I have ever seen at this club and above all else a very good team. All of them contribute, we're not relying on just one player anymore.

This team needs a trophy, wins one and the sky's the limit. Top 4? Yes please but over trophies? I don't think so
'

That is ten-odd sentences about how bright the overall league situation is, and one solitary one about the game itself (and that too, appended to a broader point asking us, 'for once in (our) lives', to look at the positives. In response to (in particular) the 'for once in your lives' comment, I pointed out that we were (imo) very poor today, and that prefacing such a statement with how brilliant we are overall won't help in furthering discussion.

If you want to look at the context of the game and the bigger picture, be my guest, I won't judge you or really take issue with that in any way, shape or form. However, if you want to discuss the context of the game right after it, with half a line devoted to the game itself and ten to the context, and then following it up by subtly asking people to stop being negative about the game itself (which, after all, is the main subject of conversation post-game)....then I'd suggest that doing so won't help foster enlivened discussion, that's all.

I think we're at cross-purposes a bit here. SMC said this....

If you want to look at the context of the game and the bigger picture, be my guest, I won't judge you or really take issue with that in any way, shape or form. However, if you want to discuss the context of the game right after it, with half a line devoted to the game itself and ten to the context, and then following it up by subtly asking people to stop being negative about the game itself (which, after all, is the main subject of conversation post-game)....then I'd suggest that doing so won't help foster enlivened discussion, that's all.

If anything I think we agree. I said that it was my bad trying to come on here discussing context and the larger picture directly after a somewhat disappointing result and relatively poor performance. You seem to agree with me that even in the stat thread in a conversation not directly about the game that's true.

Had SMC made his post today I don't think anyone would have come out with responses like yours only about the WBA game...

If anything I think we agree. I said that it was my bad trying to come on here discussing context and the larger picture directly after a somewhat disappointing result and relatively poor performance. You seem to agree with me that even in the stat thread in a conversation not directly about the game that's true.

Had SMC made his post today I don't think anyone would have come out with responses like yours only about the WBA game...

Well, I still would. Perspective's always important and a welcome thing, but it shouldn't be all about the wider perspective, completely ignoring micro-level events in the process. Immediately after the game isn't the best time to do that, agreed: and certainly, you'd find fewer people who'd object to SMC's 'stop being negative for once in your lives' now than you might have done post-game. Personally, however, preserving what intellectual integrity I have left compels me to point out that such a post still isn't helpful, even a few days after putting the result behind us. :p

The WBA game is probably best judged after Sunday
- If we win/draw with Monaco having rested a few players (I don't see us resting more than 3 or 4)
- Then win against Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home = job done, good week, all good results.

If the results turn out different, then it causes more concern.

Think we also have to remind ourselves -> youngest team in PL (for what its worth, WBA is the oldest or close to), there will be variations in performance.

With Leicester's relegation escape and current form I wondered how they had fared over the last year so I put together this table (Dec 14 - Dec 14):

Code:
			P	Pt	PPG
Arsenal			38	82	2.16
Emirates Marketing Project		38	75	1.97
Manchester United	39	71	1.82
Tottenham Hotspur	39	69	1.77
Leicester City		38	66	1.74
Liverpool		39	65	1.67
Chelsea			38	63	1.66
Watford			16	25	1.56
Crystal Palace		38	59	1.55
Stoke City		38	58	1.53
Southampton		38	55	1.45
Everton			39	52	1.33
West Bromwich Albion	38	47	1.24
Swansea City		39	48	1.23
West Ham United		38	43	1.13
Bournemouth		16	16	1.00
Hull City		22	22	1.00
Sunderland		38	34	0.89
Norwich City		16	14	0.88
Saudi Sportswashing Machine	38	32	0.84
Burnley			22	18	0.82
Queens Park Rangers	23	16	0.70
Aston Villa		38	25	0.66

Sunderland, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villas all are well below Hull in points per games. Three biggish city clubs that shouldn't be there with competent spending and management.

Arsenal clearly team of the year, but they have a habit of this. They did the same a few years back and won nothing.

While I love the stat about our team age I am curious if it's possible to easily get stats about the number of PL games played by the starting 11 vs the opposition. I think this is also an important stat given the specifics of the Premier League. Do any of our stat whizzes know where this info can be found? Cheers and COYS!!!!

The other thing that is happening is experience (critical for our system and based on age of our players)

100+ appearances for us (all except Walker achieved only this season) -> Hugo, Kane, Jan, Dembele, Walker
50+ appearances for us -> Rose, Eriksen, Lamela & Chadli

Scary that the rest of the squad is sub 50 appearances with really only Toby having significant top level experience prior.

Speaking of stats - why was there recorded only one shot on goal by Watford against us yesterday? Ighalo had the shot that went in in the first half. The corner that nearly crossed the line, and was clearly saved by our goalkeeper, in the second half should've been recorded as their second shot on target last night. Why wasn't it?

Speaking of stats - why was there recorded only one shot on goal by Watford against us yesterday? Ighalo had the shot that went in in the first half. The corner that nearly crossed the line, and was clearly saved by our goalkeeper, in the second half should've been recorded as their second shot on target last night. Why wasn't it?

I never really understand that to be fair

It's possibly because it wasn't classed as a shot for some reason

The other thing that is happening is experience (critical for our system and based on age of our players)

100+ appearances for us (all except Walker achieved only this season) -> Hugo, Kane, Jan, Dembele, Walker
50+ appearances for us -> Rose, Eriksen, Lamela & Chadli

Scary that the rest of the squad is sub 50 appearances with really only Toby having significant top level experience prior.

The inexperience and young age of our team and squad really can't be overstated I think. Pochettino has done a fantastic job so far getting them to perform as consistently as they have.

We seem to have a fantastic mix of players all pulling in the right direction. Part of why I'm fairly patient going into the January transfer window. If it means waiting until the summer to get that player that is a great fit with our team it's worth the wait imo.

CXeO7CjWYAAHFqC.jpg

Back