• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

CXeO7CjWYAAHFqC.jpg

wow ... who makes this brick up?

Gomes over Lloris & Cech?
No Toby, despite him obviously influencing the best defense in the league? and Koscielny got raped by SCBC
Payet? how many games has he fudging played (injured since we played them)

wow ... who makes this brick up?

Gomes over Lloris & Cech?
No Toby, despite him obviously influencing the best defense in the league? and Koscielny got raped by SCBC
Payet? how many games has he fudgeing played (injured since we played them)

Gomes obviously has a lot more saves to make, boosting his ratings.

Highest rated Spurs XI:

Lloris 6.84
Walker 7.12
Alderweireld 7.08
Vertonghen 7.21
Davies 7.06
Dembele 7.63
Dier 7.12
Alli 7.26
Lamela 7.14
Kane 7.44
Eriksen 7.31

Ha-ha the fact Aldereiweld is ranked only ninth and Lloris last even within our own squad tells us all we need to know about the competence of the wan ker(s) who compile them.

Gooners to a man without doubt.

@THFC6061 Great stuff, really love your stats.

Any chance you can do us a table of leading PL goalscorers that also shows minutes per goal for the calendar year 2015 but without assists - please?

A selection of Tottenham stat highlights for 2015...

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/blog/five-aside/77/post/2775527/premier-league-stats-of-2015
Players to have played in all 38 matches:
Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea)
Jose Fonte (Southampton)
Harry Kane (Tottenham)
Wes Morgan (Leicester)
Jason Puncheon (Crystal Palace)

Chances created
Mesut Ozil, Arsenal, 136
Eden Hazard, Chelsea, 99
David Silva, Emirates Marketing Project, 90
Christian Eriksen, Tottenham, 87
Jason Puncheon, Crystal Palace,73
Willian, Chelsea, 73

Fouls conceded
Fernandinho, Emirates Marketing Project, 65
Gareth Barry, Everton, 61
Wilfried Zaha, Crystal Palace, 61
Victor Wanyama, Southampton, 59
Mousa Dembele, Tottenham, 56
James McArthur, Crystal Palace, 56

Most shots
Emirates Marketing Project 487
Arsenal 427
Liverpool 427
Southampton 408
Tottenham Hotspur 406

Most yellow cards
Tottenham Hotspur 82
Sunderland 81
West Bromwich Albion 73
Emirates Marketing Project 71
Liverpool 70

Fewest red cards
Emirates Marketing Project 0
Leicester City 1
Swansea City 1
Tottenham Hotspur 1

Most fouls conceded
Crystal Palace 511
Manchester United 463
Tottenham Hotspur 452
Stoke City 438
Aston Villa 433

Scaramanga posted this link elsewhere. I thought it was interesting so added it here

https://public.tableau.com/profile/...ap/PremierLeague201516ShotonTargetxGDashboard

But I mainly thought it was interesting as it has a link to this explanation of xG or ExpG and all that guff

https://differentgame.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/a-shooting-model-an-expglanation-and-application/

Clearly it is fairly impressive to get an r2 value of 0.878 but bearing in mind he only uses Shots on Target and only uses the position on the pitch (not the type of supply, not the position of defenders, not the scoreline, not shots off target or blocked shots, not the talent of the person shooting etc) then the model could be massively improved... if anyone had the time and inclination!

I have read on redcafe that couple of weeks ago Leicester wasn't even in top-4 in a table where all referees' mistakes counted properly. Has anybody seen such table/article?

Tota
I have read on redcafe that couple of weeks ago Leicester wasn't even in top-4 in a table where all referees' mistakes counted properly. Has anybody seen such table/article?
Totally irrelevant. If all their shots went wide, they wouldn't had a single point....

Listened to The fighting rooster(edit: hah, filtered) podcast today, and there was a brief discussion on when the rise to where we are now started and what players were key in starting this rise. Jol and Carrick was mentioned, as well as Davids in his first season. Looking at the goal differences through the PL era it suggests the same thing. 05/06 is of course lasagnagate, 09/10 4th and CL qualification, 4th again and robbed, 12/13 is the one we threw away.

We are en route for something great now, and one of the main differences between this season the other seasons we have done well is that City, United, Scum 1 and Scum 2 all have had goal differences in the 40-70+ region. Now they aren't near that, and we top along with City at 22.

z3zSPDf.jpg

Points often correlate very well with goals scored. We've hopefully arrested the increasingly poor home goal difference.
Tottenham_Season_Comparison_Home.png

Tottenham_Season_Comparison_Away.png

Tota

Totally irrelevant. If all their shots went wide, they wouldn't had a single point....

Indeed, just another case of stats for stats sake.

exactly, points are not distributed on what happens in the game, they are distributed on what the referee thinks happened

It is useful to show us what their method is though.

There's clearly more to finishing above your ability than 10 men behind the ball, lump it up to your forward or else every Allardyce/Pulis team over the last few years would have won the league. Whether by chance or by design (this is something I'm going to touch on in the Leicester thread as soon as I have my head around it properly), the decisions they are getting are making a large impact on their results. At the very least that allows us to start publicly pressuring refs to get it right when refereeing them.

Not really, unless they are read by those who are anal about stats.

Accepting that there's no perfect representation of what's actually going on made possible by stats knowing how a stat is created is one of the ways one can have a meaningful conversation about what the stats actually mean.

It is useful to show us what their method is though.

There's clearly more to finishing above your ability than 10 men behind the ball, lump it up to your forward or else every Allardyce/Pulis team over the last few years would have won the league. Whether by chance or by design (this is something I'm going to touch on in the Leicester thread as soon as I have my head around it properly), the decisions they are getting are making a large impact on their results. At the very least that allows us to start publicly pressuring refs to get it right when refereeing them.

Agreed. In a conversation about "how much of this is luck" when talking about someone's very good (or very bad) run this at least adds some information to a conversation. People can have their own views based on watching the team, but most people that watch Leicester regularly will be Leicester fans with their own reasons for being biased and with not many real reason to express views that they've been lucky...

This kind of semi-objective measure (I assume someone is still judging what was the "correct decision" and could be biased) has some value at least. And, as usual, one could expect a team to regress towards the mean in terms of luck with the refereeing decisions.

Accepting that there's no perfect representation of what's actually going on made possible by stats knowing how a stat is created is one of the ways one can have a meaningful conversation about what the stats actually mean.

Flim-flam man.

Last edited:
Back