• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

I guess it depends on funds. If Levy cant stump up at least 40-50 in the summer to sort out the squad, we'd have to consider it. It would be pointless going on if again he said he wants to leave and destablise the team like Berba did when he left or like Modric this season. Like I say, if you had to choose one to sell, it would be him. Unless someone wants to pay us 20m+ for players like Jenas and Bentley.

As long as we don't have the money to compete with the big clubs, we won't be a big club. We're not going to keep the likes of Modric, Bale and Berbatov on the promises of a carling cup every decade, playing under 4 different managers, occasional CL football and 50k a week, when Man Utd or Chelsea are offering all kinds of trophies, consistent CL football and 100-150k a week.

We haven't replaced Berbatov because we haven't had the foresight or scouting under Redknapp to purchase a good striker. He's made good purchases in the other positions but upfront they've been poor imo.

We spun completely out of control? We finished in the CL places just two seasons after selling him!! Some people are talking as if when we sell Modric, we may as well pack up the club and retire it. Tottenham Hotspur, 1882-2012. Cause of death-Modric departure.

A club of our size will always have to be selling players off. We got very good prices for Carrick, Berbatov and Keane. The trick is to actually spend that money wisely. And to not be an idiot in negotiations.

Seville, Porto, Sporting all do great, even though they regularly have to sell off their players. They do great because they sell them quickly and purchase good replacements.

What we did wrong was selling both Keane and Berbatov in the same window, replacing them with Pav and Campbell and not selling Berbatov till the final day. And our mistake with Carrick was to replace him with...well Zokora.

2 points from 8 games. Reportedly spending somewhere between ?ú10-15m to get rid of our management setup and another ?ú5m to bring in a new one, then spend around ?ú45 million in January on players to stabilize the club again. Yeah, that for me is pretty out of control. Luckily for us Harry did a great job stabilizing us or it could have been a lot worse.

I agree that it's all about the replacements if we do sell one or more of our best players. The problem is that those replacements will always be gambles. Without exception. We could bring in 3 new players for the price of Modric, they could all work out really well and we could be stronger for it. But we could also end up with Zokora, Pav, Carroll, Downing, Henderson etc. It's a gamble i really wish we aren't forced into making. Even if it does work out, most clubs will find themselves a couple of years down the road with the same problem again "we need top class players, but can't actually buy them, our current top class players are looking to move because we can't challenge for the really top spots because we can't sign top class players".

Yes it worked for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, yes it has worked to some extent for some Portuguese clubs in a completely different situation than us. Have a look at Liverpool, how many Liverpool fans go misty eyed when you talk about them having Alonso and Mascherano behind Gerrard as their central trio?

If you read through the whole thread pal you will see what i said, jumping in withoutdoing so is stupid.

I've read the whole thread. Your comments are fudging brick, make no sense and I ain't your "pal" either. Banging on about how 'if we sell Modric we're fudged' then this 'if we keep selling our best players we'll never be a big club'.

Yeah, one problem, Einstein: we didn't sell Modric last summer, in spite of a ?ú40m bid from Chelsea, so what the fudge are you talking about?

I've read the whole thread. Your comments are fudging brick, make no sense and I ain't your "pal" either. Banging on about how 'if we sell Modric we're fudged' then this 'if we keep selling our best players we'll never be a big club'.

Yeah, one problem, Einstein: we didn't sell Modric last summer, in spite of a ?ú40m bid from Chelsea, so what the fudge are you talking about?

You sound like you need to take more water with it, if you are unabe to fathom out what i meant.

I guess it depends on funds. If Levy cant stump up at least 40-50 in the summer to sort out the squad, we'd have to consider it. It would be pointless going on if again he said he wants to leave and destablise the team like Berba did when he left or like Modric this season. Like I say, if you had to choose one to sell, it would be him. Unless someone wants to pay us 20m+ for players like Jenas and Bentley.

How has the Modric situation effected our from in the last few months?
The squad hasn't gone to brick overnight. They're same players that were on fire before Christmas.

Yes because we did it in the wrong way. We replaced Keane with Pav, a clear panic buy and based solely on the euros, where he wasn't even particularly impressive. Then we stubbornly held onto Berbatov and ended up selling him on the final day anyway. And replaced him with Frazier flipping Campbell.

That wasn't a gamble. That was pure and utter stupidity.

So we took out about half of our goals and replaced them with two terrible players.

Football will always be a gamble. The key is to minimise that gamble. Pav, Downing and Henderson were always poor players. Carroll was a risk but for 35 million, again wasn't a gamble but a very very stupid move.

If you're clever, you can hugely minimise the risks. Who thought selling Ronaldo and replacing him with Valencia would work out so well? You have to do your research and scouting, worldwide. Not go for players who have had a good tournament (Zokora and Pav) or had a good half season (Carroll) or who are actually quite obviously average (Henderson, Downing).

I meant at the start of the season. I think Modric is a great player but if City or Chelsea offer us 40m in the summer, we should take it. He will never get the goals we need him to get and doesnt get enough assists. Look at Mata's stats at Chelsea in his first season. On top of this we'd have to break our wage structure to keep him, which would lead to pay rises for everyone and less money for buying.

And I'm not advocating selling these players or saying that when they are inevitably moved on, it won't be a gamble to see how the team changes. But I just find this attitude quite baffling. If we sell x, we may as well give up. Sorry, is x the first decent player we've ever had at the club?

If Modric is sold and then we replace him with Etuhu, then of course, that was a stupid move. If we sell Modric, bring in a talented youngster, invest in an excellent striker and not just some turd from the lower reaches of the prem, then it could end up being a good deal. All down to our scouting team/manager/chairman.

I meant at the start of the season. I think Modric is a great player but if City or Chelsea offer us 40m in the summer, we should take it. He will never get the goals we need him to get and doesnt get enough assists. Look at Mata's stats at Chelsea in his first season. On top of this we'd have to break our wage structure to keep him, which would lead to pay rises for everyone and less money for buying.

When exactly has Mata played in Modric's position.
Compare him to Meireles if you want to compare him to a Chelsea player.

You can compare Mata to Van der Vaart.

To keep Modric we don't have to do anything, he has another 4 years left on his contract as his present wage.

How about we keep our best players and sell off the likes of Jenas, Bentley, GDS, Peinaar, Defoe, Dawson, Kranjčar, Bassong and Gomes.

When exactly has Mata played in Modric's position.
Compare him to Meireles if you want to compare him to a Chelsea player.

You can compare Mata to Van der Vaart.

To keep Modric we don't have to do anything, he has another 4 years left on his contract as his present wage.

How about we keep our best players and sell off the likes of Jenas, Bentley, GDS, Peinaar, Defoe, Dawson, Kranjčar, Bassong and Gomes.

EXACTLY

Those lot DON'T cut it. Yet those are, in the main, the 'amazing squad depth' which apparently we have. We don't - all we have are names; very over-rated, very under-performing names. They need selling.

Modric & Bale - say what you want about 'um - but over-rated and under-performing they are most definitely not.

If we had kept on to 3rd place, we could rely on the CL money as it would be guaranteed. But now who knows. Of course you want to sell those players but other clubs wont pay the fees we want and most likely a lot of them will be here in August waiting on a last minute deal. Like I say unless you get Liverpool to blast another wad of cash on our cast offs.

If we had kept on to 3rd place, we could rely on the CL money as it would be guaranteed. But now who knows. Of course you want to sell those players but other clubs wont pay the fees we want and most likely a lot of them will be here in August waiting on a last minute deal. Like I say unless you get Liverpool to blast another wad of cash on our cast offs.

Who knows.

Yeah, who knows - we might have to play some crap team from Switzerland to qualify.

With respect, I'm not that bothered about having to play a qualifier to get to the Champions League.

We dodged a few big teams last time around, I am not sure if the seeding is the same this time, we might not be so lucky. Assuming we are in the draw for the CL and not the Europa League.

Back