• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

Well, in the summer, Gomes will probably leave. That leaves Friedel and Cudicini as our only established keepers. That is an issue, and the one position I think we lack in, squad-wise. A young GK to give those two some competition would be great. Button and Jansson seem like decent keepers, perhaps they'll do the trick for a season or so. But we'll need a long-term keeper soon.

In defence, Corluka, Bassong, Khumalo, Gallas and probably Nelsen will leave. That leaves;

Walker
King
Dawson
Kaboul
Assou-Ekotto
Rose
Smith

A little bare, no doubt. However, Caulker and Naughton will both be returning from their loans, and both have absolutely excelled at Swansea and Norwich respectively. Caulker is our most promising youth product in years, and will hopefully begin bedding in at centre-back, and Naughton is a very capable full-back who can and has played on both flanks for Norwich, so he can cover/provide competition for both full-back spots. Rose, then, can probably go on loan (hopefully to a Prem side) to gain some experience. The same goes for young Smith, leaving us with

Walker
Naughton
Caulker
Dawson
Kaboul
King
Assou-Ekotto

Which is more than acceptable, I feel. Should the opportunity pop up, we could look at procuring a CB that can play at LB, as a replacement for Ledley, but personally I think we should hold off and give Caulker a year to prove himself before rushing out and buying Vertonghen or whoever. And we can always stick Hudd at the back if we have an injury crisis and three of our four centre-backs are injured. There's a few promising defenders in the Academy as well, Veljkovic being one example, so we could see some defenders in the medium term coming through academy ranks.

Now, midfield. Jenas, Bentley, Pienaar, Gio, Falque and Kranjcar will likely move on in the summer, leaving us with;

Bale
Modric
Hudd
Parker
Sandro
Livermore
Lennon
VdV

Now, that's not a bad line-up at all. Granted, cover for the wings looks a little shaky, but otherwise we're golden. Next year, we'll have Townsend, Carroll, Mason, Parrett and Bostock returning from their loans. My opinion is that they should be loaned out again. Townsend to a lower premiership side, Carroll, Mason and Parett to Championship sides (or moves abroad) and Bostock to, at the very least, an upper-half Championship side, if we can find one interested in him. Then, the priority must go toward finding a player to cover for Lennon and Bale on the flanks. Hoilett, most likely, since he'll be on a free in the summer. That'll give us a midfield of

Bale
Modric
Hudd
Parker
Sandro
Livermore
Lennon
Hoilett
VdV

which should give our manager (whoever he may be) bountiful options to choose from. Other than that, again, we're good, and the year after next, when the aforementioned loanees return, we can evaluate whether they'll make it into our side or not. Plus, we've got some promising academy midfielders coming through as well. Luongo, Ceballos, McEvoy and company look promising, and could mature into first-teamers later on if guided properly, so we look fine in the long-term as well.

Finally ,the forward line. Assuming Ade does depart in the summer, this looks weak, to say the least. It would consist of

Saha
Defoe
Lancaster

Which , while decent, is not top ten quality. So a striker should be a priority acquisition in the summer. Ade would be my choice; better the devil you know, and his goalscoring and assisting abilities have never been in question. It's just his motivational status that concerns most people, and if we get another man-manager like Harry in, that should be taken care of. However, if the new man doesn't want (or we can't afford) Ade, then we'd have to look around for a new one. Ba would be an interesting choice, but his knee still doesn't convince me and his ability with his back to goal isn't totally convincing either. I'd have him in instant, as long as we bought someone else to go with him. That, however, would push Defoe over the edge, and I don't want that to happen. So we've got two possibilities. One is just buying the one striker, (placeholder name Ade), leaving us with

Ade
Defoe
Saha
Lancaster

and the second option is buying two strikers but selling Defoe (placeholder names Ba and Llorente), leaving us with

Ba
Llorente
Saha
Lancaster

Now, in either case, Lancaster is better off going on loan somewhere. Hopefully we can get him a Championship club, but if not, League One/Two should do. Anywhere ge can get experience, really. But that leaves us with three good strikers, in either case, and plenty to call upon. Also, Coulibaly has a lot of hopes pinned on him, and if he gets the guidance he needs, we could turn him into a fantastic striker. His goalscoring ability isn't in question, after all.

So, overall, we're in a very healthy position. The team needs a few tweaks, namely a long-term goalkeeper, a winger and a striker or two, but most areas are well stocked and filled with young, dependable players. In the short term, the goalkeeper is the least needed player, and a veteran on a short term contract to cover for Friedel and Cudicini wouldn't be the worst idea. A winger is a medium priority, unless we wish to retain Townsend and use him as bench cover, and a striker is top priority. In the long-term, a goalkeeper takes top-priority, followed by a young, King-esque centre-back. But, in the main, we are definitely set for the future, squad wise. With a little bit of investment, of course.

I dont see our squad as thin compared to arsenal or Chelsea. arsenal have had a good week, not suddenly signed a decent squad.

In the summer we need to sign a keeper for the future and Adebayor permanently. We also need a solid CB, and cover for Lennon. Id still like to see cover for LB too

If we recall Corluka, we have cover for RB. Caulker and Naughton should also come back next year, and we need to see whats happening with Bassong.

I dont see Lennon or Parker as injury prone, and Sandro is the solution to Parker's aging, with hopefully a fit Huddlestone to return, as well as Livermore.

I make it, with a total overhaul, 5 players max, and most of that is cover.

When you consider that players like:
Gio
Jenas
Bentley
Bassong?
Saha
Nelson
Gallas
Pienaar

will still need to be offloaded in the summer, Im not sure you can say we have a weak squad.

we have Coulibaly

the future is bright, the future is lilywhite

we have Coulibaly

the future is bright, the future is lilywhite

It's the year 2015, North London Derby, 1-1 at the Emirates, eighty ninth minute. Suddenly, a ball over the top of the creaking Arsenal defence! The striker in lilywhite races onto the exquisite pass! He's in acres of space, but wait! Here comes Frimpong, and he'll surely..no, he's been nutmegged! Tottenham's talisman roars down the center of the field, Arsenal's defenders racing desperately in his wake! Out comes Sczenzczczcny, surely he must smother it! He dives desperately, and...oh, what dazzling skill! The live-wire hotshot takes it around with a flick of the boot and a shake of the hips, what unearthly skill...surely he must score! And...HE DOES! He races to the front of the stands, a confident grin on his glowing visage, Tottenham fans piling down to the front of the away end to celebrate with him...this is amazing...

The Soulman has struck again...I repeat, the Soulman has struck again...:D

He's a good keeper. Top 6 material, no doubt

He has his ups and his downs. He was terrible for a few weeks, until they played Liverpool. He's got fantastic reflexes, and is really quick off his line. His decision making and positioning need to be improved a bit, but that'll come with experience, and there's no reason he can't go on to become one of the Prem's best keepers.

Shame he's an utter, utter ****, though.

This summer we need to sign (minimum):

Two new strikers (one could be Adebayor)
A new CB (Vertonghen perhaps?)
A new winger
A new keeper

Won't come cheap. We can raise funds by selling off Corluka, Bassong, Pienaar and Kranjcar, but we need to find a bargain or two along the way.

This summer we need to sign (minimum):

Two new strikers (one could be Adebayor)
A new CB (Vertonghen perhaps?)
A new winger
A new keeper

Won't come cheap. We can raise funds by selling off Corluka, Bassong, Pienaar and Kranjcar, but we need to find a bargain or two along the way.

I don't think we necessarily need a new keeper. Friedel and Cudicinni are still likely to be just as reliable next season and Jansson or Button could offer a decent young 3rd choice (both of them getting competetive first team football experience on loan).

Also instead of two new strikers and a winger how about 1 striker (Adebayor) and 1 player who can play as a wide forward or a centre forward (such as Remy?)

Signing a centre half also isn't strictly neccessary. If we assume that Caulker comes back next season then we have: Kaboul, Dawson, King, Gallas and Caulker as well as Naughton who has filled in there in a few games for Norwich this season. If we can get a really good one then we could then afford to lose King or Gallas but we cannot then we might as well keep our powder dry.

Let's see if Cudicini gets his contract renewed firstly, I suspect it's likely.

Jansson is also on his last year and may well be released depending how he does for Shamrock. I would not be surprised if Button was 3rd choice next year and Alnwick released.

I think the end of next season both Friedel and Cudicini may well retire, leaving us needing a new keeper and depending on how well Button does, a new second choice keeper as well.

Obviously Walker is now first choice really, so he can't count as backup. Livermore has been impressive and very mature. Caulker definitely looks like he could make it for us. Mason and Carrol are now 19 and 20 respectively; they should be commanding a first team spot at a lower prem team like bolton or QPR if they have any aspirations of being a CL quality midfielder. I would have rather kept them then loan them out to Championship teams who play against cloggers on bad pitches; they would have learnt a lot more being around the first team. Up front and attacking midfield is definitely an Issue. I think the DM position is sewn up in the long term, but I want modric understudy who can also deputise for rafa and on the wing too if needs be. An 19 years old wonderkid of some sort would be nice, maybe kovacic?

Livermore is 22 and only just starting to come through so mason and carrol and also parrett have time i think, not everyone comes through at a young age and some need a season or 2 of league football to understand how their skill set can fit to pro football.

Well, in the summer, Gomes will probably leave. That leaves Friedel and Cudicini as our only established keepers. That is an issue, and the one position I think we lack in, squad-wise. A young GK to give those two some competition would be great. Button and Jansson seem like decent keepers, perhaps they'll do the trick for a season or so. But we'll need a long-term keeper soon.

In defence, Corluka, Bassong, Khumalo, Gallas and probably Nelsen will leave. That leaves;

Walker
King
Dawson
Kaboul
Assou-Ekotto
Rose
Smith

A little bare, no doubt. However, Caulker and Naughton will both be returning from their loans, and both have absolutely excelled at Swansea and Norwich respectively. Caulker is our most promising youth product in years, and will hopefully begin bedding in at centre-back, and Naughton is a very capable full-back who can and has played on both flanks for Norwich, so he can cover/provide competition for both full-back spots. Rose, then, can probably go on loan (hopefully to a Prem side) to gain some experience. The same goes for young Smith, leaving us with

Walker
Naughton
Caulker
Dawson
Kaboul
King
Assou-Ekotto

Which is more than acceptable, I feel. Should the opportunity pop up, we could look at procuring a CB that can play at LB, as a replacement for Ledley, but personally I think we should hold off and give Caulker a year to prove himself before rushing out and buying Vertonghen or whoever. And we can always stick Hudd at the back if we have an injury crisis and three of our four centre-backs are injured. There's a few promising defenders in the Academy as well, Veljkovic being one example, so we could see some defenders in the medium term coming through academy ranks.

Now, midfield. Jenas, Bentley, Pienaar, Gio, Falque and Kranjcar will likely move on in the summer, leaving us with;

Bale
Modric
Hudd
Parker
Sandro
Livermore
Lennon
VdV

Now, that's not a bad line-up at all. Granted, cover for the wings looks a little shaky, but otherwise we're golden. Next year, we'll have Townsend, Carroll, Mason, Parrett and Bostock returning from their loans. My opinion is that they should be loaned out again. Townsend to a lower premiership side, Carroll, Mason and Parett to Championship sides (or moves abroad) and Bostock to, at the very least, an upper-half Championship side, if we can find one interested in him. Then, the priority must go toward finding a player to cover for Lennon and Bale on the flanks. Hoilett, most likely, since he'll be on a free in the summer. That'll give us a midfield of

Bale
Modric
Hudd
Parker
Sandro
Livermore
Lennon
Hoilett
VdV

which should give our manager (whoever he may be) bountiful options to choose from. Other than that, again, we're good, and the year after next, when the aforementioned loanees return, we can evaluate whether they'll make it into our side or not. Plus, we've got some promising academy midfielders coming through as well. Luongo, Ceballos, McEvoy and company look promising, and could mature into first-teamers later on if guided properly, so we look fine in the long-term as well.

Finally ,the forward line. Assuming Ade does depart in the summer, this looks weak, to say the least. It would consist of

Saha
Defoe
Lancaster

Which , while decent, is not top ten quality. So a striker should be a priority acquisition in the summer. Ade would be my choice; better the devil you know, and his goalscoring and assisting abilities have never been in question. It's just his motivational status that concerns most people, and if we get another man-manager like Harry in, that should be taken care of. However, if the new man doesn't want (or we can't afford) Ade, then we'd have to look around for a new one. Ba would be an interesting choice, but his knee still doesn't convince me and his ability with his back to goal isn't totally convincing either. I'd have him in instant, as long as we bought someone else to go with him. That, however, would push Defoe over the edge, and I don't want that to happen. So we've got two possibilities. One is just buying the one striker, (placeholder name Ade), leaving us with

Ade
Defoe
Saha
Lancaster

and the second option is buying two strikers but selling Defoe (placeholder names Ba and Llorente), leaving us with

Ba
Llorente
Saha
Lancaster

Now, in either case, Lancaster is better off going on loan somewhere. Hopefully we can get him a Championship club, but if not, League One/Two should do. Anywhere ge can get experience, really. But that leaves us with three good strikers, in either case, and plenty to call upon. Also, Coulibaly has a lot of hopes pinned on him, and if he gets the guidance he needs, we could turn him into a fantastic striker. His goalscoring ability isn't in question, after all.

So, overall, we're in a very healthy position. The team needs a few tweaks, namely a long-term goalkeeper, a winger and a striker or two, but most areas are well stocked and filled with young, dependable players. In the short term, the goalkeeper is the least needed player, and a veteran on a short term contract to cover for Friedel and Cudicini wouldn't be the worst idea. A winger is a medium priority, unless we wish to retain Townsend and use him as bench cover, and a striker is top priority. In the long-term, a goalkeeper takes top-priority, followed by a young, King-esque centre-back. But, in the main, we are definitely set for the future, squad wise. With a little bit of investment, of course.

Top post, I can't argue with a word of that

Walker
King
Dawson
Kaboul
Assou-Ekotto
Rose
Smith

Walker
Naughton
Caulker
Dawson
Kaboul
King
Assou-Ekotto

Bale
Modric
Hudd
Parker
Sandro
Livermore
Lennon
VdV

Bale
Modric
Hudd
Parker
Sandro
Livermore
Lennon
Hoilett
VdV

Saha
Defoe
Lancaster

Ade
Defoe
Saha
Lancaster

Ba
Llorente
Saha
Lancaster

I agree with that, its a good post. The 25 man squad has really hit us, given that we have players like King, Nelsen and Gallas who are injury prone and all occupy a slot. I still think that in terms of like for like replacements and keeping the same tactics that we play when key players are out we are fudged. We have no modric replacement, Krancjar should be our VDV replacement but is overlooked in that position. And unless townsend stays next season we have no pace on the wings if Bale or Lennon are injured. These are key positions that impact our attacking ability and our ability to create clear cut chances. Its all good having a squad filling of players but if the balance in the team is off like ours is we can suffer. All we would need in fact is a quick AM with good technical ability who can do a job out wide and rough it out in CM and we cover the Bale, Lennon, Rafa and Modric. Ideally we would get someone like Marin on the cheap now he his form has dropped, Hazard or Kovacic.

I'm fed up with reading Harry this, Harry that, he plays the wrong formation, he plays player x, he doesn't play player y and so on and so forth.

Now the real question. Come the season end how many of our squad will be on the radar of the so called BIG teams across Europe.

Modric? maybe but with all his silky skills he still shoots like a 9 month old baby.

Bale? quite possibly but until he gets a right foot he'll always be easy to push away from his best foot.

Anyone else? No, I don't think I can think of anyone. I can't see the likes of Barca, RM or Man Utd queueing up to get Defoe or Lennon or Walker or BAE to sign a contract for them and offering us 50m.

Perhaps it isn't harry that should shoulder all the blame, perhaps the players should man up, get out of 3rd gear and start putting 100% into the game rather than expecting the opposition to roll over for them.

I said this in another thread and said it all along.

Not only is it overrated, it is imbalanced and lacks some real class. You need a core of 16 very good players, I dont think we have that.

I really want us to get in five or six players and let go a few of ours. If Modric wants to leave then fudge him. If Bale wants to leave then fudge him.

There is still a chance of us getting fourth so the type of players we bring in will be determined by our position at the end of the season

the squad is fine, just needs adding to like most clubs will be looking to do....this squad was 3rd and cruising not long ago

quality additions and a more technical manager and we are good to go again

the squad is fine, just needs adding to like most clubs will be looking to do....this squad was 3rd and cruising not long ago

quality additions and a more technical manager and we are good to go again

The squad wasnt third and cruising. Our first 11 was.

When Harry has tried to rotate he never had the personnel.

Back