• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

Nelsens is widely reported as a loan to the end of the season with a one year option.

I imagine thats much more likely the case with Saha than a straight 18 month deal.

Good idea to put Bentley on the list, although dont know why he didnt get the '5' shirt back.

Could be useful to have as a back-up in the final run-in if he regains fitness in time. If we have an extended run in the FA Cup we could possibly have 3 midweek fixtures to fit in

Wow so Bentley given a squad number. Is he nearing a return to fitness then? JJ must be proper long term, would have been useful to include in the squad.

^ i think because JJ was loaned to another premiership club he cannot play for us again this season whereas Bentley went to some Sunday League side somewhere and the rules are different

For me:

GK - Friedel, Cudicini, Gomes - in the summer Gomes out, new first choice (Krul) in, Friedel and Cudicini slide down to 2 and 3

RB - Walker - in the summer Naughton back as back-up, Corluka probably moving on permanently
LB - BAE, Rose - fine
CB - Kaboul, Dawson, King, Nelson, Gallas - in the summer Nelson and Gallas retire, Caulker back, new quick/cultured player (Vertonghen) in

RW - Lennon, Gio - in the summer a new top player in (Remy), Gio + Bentley out
LW - Bale, Krancjar - fine (Pieneer out)
CM - Modric, Parker, Sandro, Hudd - fine (Jenas out)

CF - Ade, vdV, Defoe, Saha - summer Saha retire, Defoe out, Ade permanent, Leandro in

Biggest concern for rest of this season: injuries to Lennon and also Bale. Cant understand for the life of me why we let Pienaar go - he solid and unspectacular but would much rather have him RW rather than GDS

Biggest concerns for the summer:
1 - we have two ancient GKs and a third which wants to leave
2 - we have two old CBs and a third who is 30 and verging on being a cripple (no offence to the disabled as he's almost there himself)
3- out of our 4 CFs, one is on loan, one is old and has had injury problems, one is class but repeatedly gets injured and the 4th is good as a back up but not good enough as a starer for a top 4 team
4 - England are unlikely apparently to appoint Capello's successor til after Euro 2012, meaning we could lose Harry in late July which would blow a hole in our summer transfer plans

Given we dont have European games this spring, we should hopefully have enough depth to get through til the summer however we have a lot of work to do this summer.

David Bentley, Simon Dawkins and Bongani Khumaloare have been given a Spurs lifeline after the trio were named in a 25-man squad for the Premier League title run-in.

I love the daily mail.

I love that Villa are still paying Jenas's wages.

from what i remember west ham had the chance to end the loan of bentley in december if they were unhappy, obviously with him being injured they did that

villa had no such option so are paying his wages for the season, unlike some on here i do not rate levy, but this was a master stroke.

from what i remember west ham had the chance to end the loan of bentley in december if they were unhappy, obviously with him being injured they did that

villa had no such option so are paying his wages for the season, unlike some on here i do not rate levy, but this was a master stroke.

Please explain why you don't rate Daniel Levy!

If we do end up signing Remy in the Summer, we really need to be looking towards a move to a 4-3-3 (ala Barca). We've just got too many quality CMs to choose from.

Modric, Parker, Sandro, Livermore, Huddlestone, Carroll, Jenas (also Luongo, Bostock, and Ceballos for early Cup games) all are capable of playing in a midfield 3.

Against tougher opponents away:

Modric..Parker..Sandro /or/ Livermore..Parker..Huddlestone

At home against weaker sides parking the bus:

Modric..Parker..Carroll /or/ Jenas..Livermore..Huddlestone

However, our options for wide playmakers in a straight 4-4-2 are extremely lacking apart from Bale Lennon and Kranjcar. Would include Gio but he's proved he's not suited to play RM.

The only problem with playing this system is what to do with Van der Vaart. Playing as a RAM or CAM he can do serious damage, but if forced to play up top to the right in a 4-3-3 as a true wide forward, he may lack the pace and playing style best served to play there. Remy would be the obvious number 1 in this position with Lennon switching out every game or so provided we are playing more due to CL and multiple cup competitions. Even Gio could fill in (if we decide to keep him). Bale would surely be a constant on the left, with Lennon also being able to fill in when needed.

With the depth we have at DM it could also be plausible to use a 4-2-3-1 system (ala Real Madrid).

Bale.....Modric.....VdV /or/ Lennon.......Kranjcar........Gio
.....Parker..Sandro.... ///// ........Livermore...Luongo......

Floating the forward 3 midfielders about with 2 anchors in central defense is another formation we could thrive with.

After giving this some thought, '12-'13 is going to be Harry's toughest season yet of effectively rotating the squad to get results, while keeping all players happy and giving everyone at-least somewhat regular playing time. Injuries will no doubt play a role, but if we're ever all healthy, it'll be one heck of a headache for Harry and Co.

Back