• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
He admitted to having % comission on certain players recently during the trial, did he not?

Isn't that wheret he whole Rosie stuff originated - bonuses from transfers?

So eventhough he knew they couldn't afford these players he still went for them irrespective and recommended them to Storrie whom he brought in as his man! And for that he cannot be blamed because it's his nature. Please take a second and think about that, mate

What do you think happened? That Redknapp asked for players and Storrie said "Woah, you sure about this one Azzah? The accounts not so flush this month so be certain"?

I'd guarentee you that Harry didn't give the finances a second thought, and if the chairman is saying everything is fine, why should he? Is Harry supposed to know how far Storrie's pockets stretch because they're mates?

He admitted to having % comission on certain players recently during the trial, did he not?

Isn't that wheret he whole Rosie stuff originated - bonuses from transfers?

Sales only and only to the tune of ?ú189k, saying anything else is libel ;)

I'd guarentee you that Harry didn't give the finances a second thought, and if the chairman is saying everything is fine, why should he? Is Harry supposed to know how far Storrie's pockets stretch because they're mates?

There wereincentives for both parties in these deals.

You already said he knew his budget and still recommended unrealistic targets - for that he must accept some of the blame which has been my point all along

So if your wife blew your credit card tomorrow she'd be blameless because it's your fault you lent it to her for day (eventhouhg I wouldn't imagine giving strict insturctions - blow it all, hon).

You even admitted yourself Arry had a 'history'

If I was in a very highly paid job and had given my wife my credit card, put a ?ú200,000 limit on it and told her to go and spend it on whatever she wanted to make herself look (even more) beautiful - then I would absolutely expect her to go and spend that money.

If I then lost my job and couldn't afford the repayments on the credit card then yes I would absolutely think it was my fault for telling her to go and spend that money.

If I was then able to sell all the purchases she had made on that credit card for a large overall profit then I would be delighted and thank her for buying so responsibly!

To (again) take it back to the situation here at Spurs. I am sure that Harry wanted Adebayor permanently last summer (and probably in both transfer windows since then). However Adebayor's wages would put our club in trouble financially. Levy therefore tells Redknapp that we can't do the deal because we can't afford it... It is really very, very simple! Harry would then ask for an alternative player and again it would come down to finances, eventually you get to a player that you can afford (hello Gregorz Rasiak!).

It is simple economics and those simple economics were not applied at the boardroom level at Pompey. If they couldn't afford the wages/transfer fees then they shouldn't have bought the players. All managers (except the ones at Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea) have to work within certain financial restraints. Those restraints are made clear to the manager and/or Director of Football (if that's the model in place) when they take the job and then adjusted regularly. When Redknapp was at Portsmouth they had grand ideas for a new stadium and wanting to become a South Coast super club and had a budget to reflect that. Redknapp spent that budget, got them 9th and 10th and won them the FA Cup which I am sure the owners regarded as a success.

I am also puzzled when people lay West Ham's financial woes at Redknapp's door. West Ham's financial woes came from Icelandic owners spending vast sums of money on transfer fees and wages for poor players. This was well after Redknapp had left. In fact Redknapp had operated under Terry Brown - who was a pretty spendthrift chairman.

You already said he knew his budget and still recommended unrealistic targets - for that he must accept some of the blame which has been my point all along

No I didn't. Where did I say he had a defined budget. I'd talked about ifs and maybes. One of those being, if Storrie didn't set a budget and opened the flood gates, then he deserved everything he got. Storrie was a professional within the footballing world and if he made that mistake, it's his mistake.

If he allowed Redknapp to break his given budget, then ditto. And he didn't set unrealistic targets, they just bought too many targets full stop.

If I was in a very highly paid job and had given my wife my credit card, put a ?ú200,000 limit on it and told her to go and spend it on whatever she wanted to make herself look (even more) beautiful - then I would absolutely expect her to go and spend that money.

If I then lost my job and couldn't afford the repayments on the credit card then yes I would absolutely think it was my fault for telling her to go and spend that money.

If I was then able to sell all the purchases she had made on that credit card for a large overall profit then I would be delighted and thank her for buying so responsibly!

To (again) take it back to the situation here at Spurs. I am sure that Harry wanted Adebayor permanently last summer (and probably in both transfer windows since then). However Adebayor's wages would put our club in trouble financially. Levy therefore tells Redknapp that we can't do the deal because we can't afford it... It is really very, very simple! Harry would then ask for an alternative player and again it would come down to finances, eventually you get to a player that you can afford (hello Gregorz Rasiak!).

It is simple economics and those simple economics were not applied at the boardroom level at Pompey. If they couldn't afford the wages/transfer fees then they shouldn't have bought the players. All managers (except the ones at Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea) have to work within certain financial restraints. Those restraints are made clear to the manager and/or Director of Football (if that's the model in place) when they take the job and then adjusted regularly. When Redknapp was at Portsmouth they had grand ideas for a new stadium and wanting to become a South Coast super club and had a budget to reflect that. Redknapp spent that budget, got them 9th and 10th and won them the FA Cup which I am sure the owners regarded as a success.

But the argument here suggests he knew the budget but still recommended players who were above that. Much like he knows now I'd imagine - wage/wise, etc.

How do you know that for a fact (bolded bit)? Storrie was brought in by him, remember - why - to loosen up the budget perhaps? Have a buddy signing the cheques?

This is very different to our current setup with Levy - completely different in fact. The equivalent would be Redknapp appointing Levy tomorrow (or Levy resigning and Arry bringing in his man)

Last edited:
btw: Arc, I think you're right, we need to take this out of this thread. This England squad is a shocking brick storm enough without derailing it with Redknapp talk.

The incentives were based on the profit on the transfer fees received (compared to the transfer fees paid). So Redknapp could only get his incentives if money was made on his transfers. Therefore surely he would've been looking for value in the market?

Ireland fans taking the tinkle out of the England team arriving in Poland

[video=youtube;qykUdp4qRXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qykUdp4qRXE[/video]

The Terry is a racist chant is the highlight.

Last edited:
Joe Hart: Martin Kelly is settling really well into England squad. Lots of Liverpool lads so that really helps

The incentives were based on the profit on the transfer fees received (compared to the transfer fees paid). So Redknapp could only get his incentives if money was made on his transfers. Therefore surely he would've been looking for value in the market?

Last comment in this thread

How do you know that by the way?

Even if true - perhaps they were aiming to sell most of them in the future anyway - Look at Diarra for example. Compared to the Top 8's budgets - those players were relatively cheap. On a pure football level - he did very well transfer wise at Pompey.

Also - is that why he went and bought half the Pompey team when he came to us? ;)

What's the best way to get a player below market value in order to make a profit?

I'd say throwing money at an agent and large wages would do the person profiting on the sale a lot of good but do the club a lot of damage.

(for legal reasons I'm not suggesting that happened in this case)

Never misses a chance does he...
None of this really surprises me as I have experienced first-hand the FA's inability to treat players properly. After I came back to Arsenal at the start of 2010, I was playing as well as any defender in the country and legitimately thought I would get a call-up for the World Cup that summer.

That was certainly the suggestion I was getting from inside the FA, but then nothing happened. Fabio Capello didn't even bother coming to see me, instead he sent Franco Baldini, who kept saying "we're thinking about you Sol, we're thinking about you, Sol", before they instead picked Ledley King, who has always been injury prone, and Jamie Carragher, who was not playing great for Liverpool at that time and had stated publicly that he didn't want to play for England again. In contrast, I had always made myself available to my country and, like Rio, could have offered the squad an enormous amount of tournament-experience.

I'm in - and having RvP as captain for the first match doesn't feel that good; not having anyone from England in my squad feels better :)
First draft is a non-Spurs one as well!

Back