• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Story on the BBC Sport website titled "We don't fear France!" - Downing

Well I doubt they fear you either Stewart!

The incentives were based on the profit on the transfer fees received (compared to the transfer fees paid). So Redknapp could only get his incentives if money was made on his transfers. Therefore surely he would've been looking for value in the market?

Even so I think its something of a red herring, regardless of whether or not Redknapp stood to make money on deals* he was still not responsible for the money being made available to spend in the first place.

*I realise he stood to gain from Sales, but if you stretch the point logically his purchases could have been made with mind to a potential windfall for the club/Harry (Diarra springs to mind)

Downings comments are embarassing. "The younger players can come to me or other experienced players for advice/guidance". Why'd they want to come to you Stewart? You're brick. Prove me wrong.

Its really quite worrying when we get to an international tournament and the rallying cry is from the likes of Downing. I wonder what advice he is able to give to the younger players? He's done nothing on the international stage, he's been nothing more than an average player in the premiership, he's won nothing in his career and the squads he has been in in tournaments like this have done sweet FA.

I'm really looking forward to the matches tomorrow.

On any other occasion I wouldn't switch Eastenders over to watch Poland or Greece, but a tournament is a whole nuvva thing.

article-2155783-137E4B79000005DC-360_634x398.jpg

England's hopes of success in Poland and Ukraine were given a boost on the eve of the tournament as a giant construction of 'Roy the Redeemer' was unveiled on the White Cliffs of Dover.

The huge image of new manager Roy Hodgson stands at an impressive 100ft tall and overlooks the English channel and over to France - England's first Group D opponents on Monday in Donetsk.

The stunning structure is a reproduction of the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue which overlooks Rio de Janeiro, but with the face of Christ replaced by England's new ‘saviour’, Roy Hodgson.

The huge image, which has taken one week to install, is the work of betting company Paddy Power who hope it will inspire the Three Lions to glory this summer.

The betting company are banking the structure bringing hope to all England fans after numerous setbacks to the squad including the loss of key players such as Gary Cahill, Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry combined with players such as Scott Parker and Danny Welbeck who are struggling to find fitness, Paddy Power hope the statue will be a potent symbol of hope when expectations for success are at an all time low.

Paddy Power's Ken Robertson said: 'Since Christ the Redeemer was constructed in Rio de Janeiro in 1931, Brazil has gone on to become the world’s leading footballing nation.

'We’re hoping some of that success can rub off on England in time for their Euro 2012 opener against France on Monday. Anyway, at the end of the day this is definitely the closest Roy will get to Rio this month!'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2155783/Euro-2012-Roy-Redeemer-Giant-Roy-Hodgson-structure-unveiled-boost-England.html

An interesting little feature on the BBC website about the Euro 2012 African Nations XI

.....................................................................................Mandanda (France / Congo)

Gebre Selassie (Czech / Ethiopia)...........Ogbonna (Italy / Nigeria)...........Rami (France / Morocco)..........Evra (France / Senegal)

Nani (Portugal / Cape Verde)..........Khedira (Germany / Tunisia)............M'Vila (France / Congo)............Afellay (Holland / Morocco)

..............................................................Balotelli (Italy / Ghana) -- Welbeck (England / Ghana)

Full squad in pictures with the bench

An interesting little feature on the BBC website about the Euro 2012 African Nations XI

.....................................................................................Mandanda (France / Congo)

Gebre Selassie (Czech / Ethiopia)...........Ogbonna (Italy / Nigeria)...........Rami (France / Morocco)..........Evra (France / Senegal)

Nani (Portugal / Cape Verde)..........Khedira (Germany / Tunisia)............M'Vila (France / Congo)............Afellay (Holland / Morocco)

..............................................................Balotelli (Italy / Ghana) -- Welbeck (England / Ghana)

Racist

I have long 'checked out' as a supporter of the england team, (travelleing to france 98, portugal 04 and germany 06 made sure of that) sven was bad, but the appointment of mclaren was the final nail.

Seeing rooney on tv the other night banging goals in against croatia in 04 (i was there....yipee) you can't help but notice the players coming into the picture to celebrate with him.

Take 8yrs of this lot Terry,Campbell, Cashley, G.Neville, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, owen, Beckham even Ledders........we really did underachieve.........and also match that lot up with the squad today. Oh dear.

That said what will probably be revealed is when there are no expectations we will probably do well, and previously when the expectations and pressure built up to such crazy levels, it was too much to carry.

Is Huntelaar first choice for holland?

Is Nani first choice for Portugal?

Is Lewandowski any good?

Is Chiellini first choice for Italy?

Thanks

Tbh that's not that interesting at all

Back