• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2022/23 Premier League Thread

I'm not old enough to remember, but I bet it took a few years after that to feel like a proper club at the right end of the table again?

It was a nailbiting end to the season, we had tinkled the table to about the last 10 games and we had only won 2 of the last 7 games and we looked like we had blown it. We went into the last game needing a point away at Southampton which we did with a 0-0 draw.

It was a nailbiting end to the season, we had tinkled the table to about the last 10 games and we had only won 2 of the last 7 games and we looked like we had blown it. We went into the last game needing a point away at Southampton which we did with a 0-0 draw.

The we wont try to beat you if you dont try to beat us game.

Not at all, winning is great, but its not as far into the plus column, as being relegated is into the negative column.

I will not enjoy 7th, I'll be mildly annoyed.
Your argument was you'd rather NOT win the league if it meant getting relegated a few years later.

We were very successful in the early 70s, but went down in '77.
You'd really rather delete that success (arguably our most successful) because we then got relegated?

This is sport. It's highs are high, it's lows are low. Winning is the objective.

Your argument was you'd rather NOT win the league if it meant getting relegated a few years later.

You'd really rather delete that success (arguably our most successful) because we then got relegated?

This is sport. It's highs are high, it's lows are low. Winning is the objective.

Very different these days, especially with dodgy owners going around. For every yo-yo team like Norwich and Fulham there’s a few Blackburns, Wigans etc.

Leicester will probably struggle to come up, Everton would be fudged for a while I think. Not sure one PL win would be enough for me to enjoy spending the next 5 seasons in the Championship.

they won it once, they had a few good months but will pay for it with years of irrelevance, that's not worth the payoff for me no

negatives have a greater effect than positives

Luckily I was playing back then and didn't see many games but the disappointment soon disappeared with promotion the next season and signing Ardiles.

Yes, the signing of Ossie and Ricky quickly restored the mood.

It was a different time then. We'd never have kept Hoddle after relegation in the current climate and without him we might not have had the early 80s successes.

My general feeling is that Leicester fans will think the relegation worth the title if they bounce back up, but if they struggle like Portsmouth or Charlton then the memory will sour.

It's really all down to personal feelings, most on here never saw us win league and see CL and winning league as their goals, when I started going to football winning the cup was the big trophy, no armchair fans and many fans couldn't tell who finished 2nd in league or even who won it. How many people know Burnley won league the season before we did? or Wolves were the big team in the country?
I think playing the game for over 20 years gives you a more tolerant view on results and perceived success or failure.

Yes, the signing of Ossie and Ricky quickly restored the mood.

It was a different time then. We'd never have kept Hoddle after relegation in the current climate and without him we might not have had the early 80s successes.

My general feeling is that Leicester fans will think the relegation worth the title if they bounce back up, but if they struggle like Portsmouth or Charlton then the memory will sour.

Don't forget John Lacy!!!!!

It's really all down to personal feelings, most on here never saw us win league and see CL and winning league as their goals, when I started going to football winning the cup was the big trophy, no armchair fans and many fans couldn't tell who finished 2nd in league or even who won it. How many people know Burnley won league the season before we did? or Wolves were the big team in the country?
I think playing the game for over 20 years gives you a more tolerant view on results and perceived success or failure.

Exactly this, having played week in week out even at a relatively poor but competitive level you realise the games about moments as much as it is the success of just cups. You don't just jack it in because you can't put your name on one of the 3/4 pots available and you are destined for only being in the top 7, there are some seasons I played and beating the champions elect away finishing midtable was more memorable than the overall going up the next season, the games alot more complex within the game and with the emotions than people realise I think. And thats not a dig, I just think peoples views are dictated by and lead sometimes but the noise about the game, like I said before, people dictating what is success for Kane for example when no one knows or considers what he sees as success and when you really quantify it objectively can anyone say his career is a failure if he does not win things, I don't think you can.

I talked alot about the Poch era, an era which causes no end of debate on here but from a personal feeling perspective I was floating for 2/3 seasons down Seven Sisters knowing pretty much we were or could going to beat anyone and put on a show...I didn't feel that about a season even during the league cup win seasons under Graham and Ramos.

I been going since 1957 and have seen good and bad times and played for 25 years and never felt really bad about a defeat, I played and watched because I loved the game and enjoyed it. I don't feel the same as I did as I think their are too many people who take it far too seriously and buy into that Shankly crap and make going to matches unpleasant.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I bet it took a few years after that to feel like a proper club at the right end of the table again?

Not really. Going down in 77 was just the culmination of a couple of seasons of it nearly happening offset by the joy of relegating Chelsea in 75.

If you were there the season in Div 2 was the most enjoyable time home and away for many reasons only bettered by the eager anticipation of Ardiles and Villa debut away at Forest on opening day back in Div 1

Felt like a proper club all along the way

I been going since 1957 and have seen good and bad times and played for 25 years and never felt really bad about a defeat, I played and watched because I loved the game and enjoyed it. I don't feel the same as I did as I think their are too many people who take it far too seriously and buy into that Shankly crap and make going to matches unpleasant.
Yeh same, typically shown with the conflation of "the games about glory" quotes applied to modern times when reality is over 130 years we haven't been as successful as people pretend we have, which hasn't mattered because it's always been and will be my club. But if I have to stand in the queue for a beer and hear that statement or the lie of "there used to be a club over there" and have it cried about today...I would scream. Relentless sometimes

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Not really. Going down in 77 was just the culmination of a couple of seasons of it nearly happening offset by the joy of relegating Chelsea in 75.

If you were there the season in Div 2 was the most enjoyable time home and away for many reasons only bettered by the eager anticipation of Ardiles and Villa debut away at Forest on opening day back in Div 1

Felt like a proper club all along the way

My thoughts as well, i only missed one game that season ( Hull away) and i got to see some bricky grounds, coppers who wanted to hit/fight the fans of a BIG club, a lot of pitches in them days ( even in the top Div) were poor but some of the mud heaps we had to play on ( and the facilities to even have a tinkle) were shocking. But you know what it was
a eye opener to see how the other half lived ( so to speak). Our fans took over most of the grounds and they were brilliant.

I must admit the bad run we had towards the end of the season was a worry but as we all know we did it. I will not say they were "happy days" but they were a experience for sure.

Back