• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2022/23 Premier League Thread

Wasnt Joey Barton banned for 13 months? In which case there is precedent for very long bans for this sort of thing, and given c.3 months of the 8 months is over the summer then its really just a 5 month ban

I'm not sure I follow so apologies if I've misunderstood, do you mean it's the risk of getting caught breaking the rules that makes it enticing?

The adrenaline rush of doing something risky - breaking rules and losing your wages feed into the same pattern.

The adrenaline rush of doing something risky - breaking rules and losing your wages feed into the same pattern.
Agreed, it's like when you sneak over your garden fence at midnight and masturbate into next door's wheelie bin.

I am confused that people say it is a long ban, he bet hundreds of times, so I expected his ban to be hundreds of months i.e. career ending. I thought precedents indicated that but am too lazy to fully investigate? E.g. Joey Barton, that centre back we palmed off to Liverpool.

So what's the point of football?

Without meaning to derail this thread too much, for me football is community, as I’m sure it is for most. I got into Spurs as a 14 year in Sydney mostly by watching month-old replays (no live football on TV at that stage) and reading Spurs Monthly with other Spurs fans at a pub on the last Saturday of every month. Spurs were brick (early 2000s) but it didn’t really matter. I’ve lived in 3 countries and the Spurs supporters club has been first stop every time.

It’s lazy to blame everything on #modernlife but there’s no doubt social media has completely changed this, and not for the better. Instead of those monthly meetups, (now weekly thanks to every game being on TV) there’s people watching a 20 minute highlights package the following day with their phone in their hand complaining about everything.

Without meaning to derail this thread too much, for me football is community, as I’m sure it is for most. I got into Spurs as a 14 year in Sydney mostly by watching month-old replays (no live football on TV at that stage) and reading Spurs Monthly with other Spurs fans at a pub on the last Saturday of every month. Spurs were brick (early 2000s) but it didn’t really matter. I’ve lived in 3 countries and the Spurs supporters club has been first stop every time.

It’s lazy to blame everything on #modernlife but there’s no doubt social media has completely changed this, and not for the better. Instead of those monthly meetups, (now weekly thanks to every game being on TV) there’s people watching a 20 minute highlights package the following day with their phone in their hand complaining about everything.

Exactly, as a teenager my mates were split between Spurs, Woolwich and a Wolves fan and we would laugh and joke about our clubs successes and failures and the mistakes players made, never bothered to analyse every point of the game and didnt have a clue or care who owned the club, now a fan must hate their rivals, their rivals fans and their own clubs owners and certain players it's not fun its a religion with a bunch of fundamentalist.

Agreed, it's like when you sneak over your garden fence at midnight and masturbate into next door's wheelie bin.

I am confused that people say it is a long ban, he bet hundreds of times, so I expected his ban to be hundreds of months i.e. career ending. I thought precedents indicated that but am too lazy to fully investigate? E.g. Joey Barton, that centre back we palmed off to Liverpool.
Masturbating into wheelie bins, palming off centre backs...what is it with you and tossing?

Great post and one i totally agree with. Like you i have been lucky enough to have lived and worked in several countrys and as you say there is always a Spurs Supporters Club handy for meets ups. The fans in there are 100% for the club and reguardless of the results love there club.

Sadly there are so many idiots/muppets about on social media here today that do nothing but bitch and moan every game about the club they are SUPPOSED to support.

A lot of players come from "working class' backgrounds and when they have a lot of money they think they can do what they like without any consequences.

Yeh, exactly this, added to it the cultural aspect of being in the game which drives in some cases the interest to bet. I am sure there is also a level of not thinking its that bad a crime in the grand scheme if they are not betting on their own game, made worse by your point of having loads of money and perceived lack of consequence.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine 1 up. We play first on Saturday so if this stays the same we can go into 6th above Brighton even though they'll have 873,429 games in hand

Finally a commentator talking sense

Bruno G gets a yellow and gestures to the ref, it was my first foul.

And rightly so co-comm, says it does not matter if its your first or your fifth if it warrants a yellow it gets one...and that's how it should be

Saudi Sportswashing Machine 1 up. We play first on Saturday so if this stays the same we can go into 6th above Brighton even though they'll have 873,429 games in hand

Despite not getting the point we really needed at Villa. 6th place is really still up for grabs...IF we shape ourselves and finish with 2 wins...big ask. But at the start of the season when you saw the fixtures you would be fancying 6pts from these 2 games.
Finish on 63pts

Brighton will beat Soton at home, Draw with City Lose to Villa for 62pts or Lose to City. Draw with Villa 62pts
Villa could get a draw at Anfield, Beat Brighton 61pts 59pts if they draw with Brighton

It really is not beyond us, those results are not unreal, but as you say it's all about laying a marker down at Saturday lunch

Despite not getting the point we really needed at Villa. 6th place is really still up for grabs...IF we shape ourselves and finish with 2 wins...big ask. But at the start of the season when you saw the fixtures you would be fancying 6pts from these 2 games.
Finish on 63pts

Brighton will beat Soton at home, Draw with City Lose to Villa for 62pts or Lose to City. Draw with Villa 62pts
Villa could get a draw at Anfield, Beat Brighton 61pts 59pts if they draw with Brighton

It really is not beyond us, those results are not unreal, but as you say it's all about laying a marker down at Saturday lunch
I would rather Brighton win today and put Saudi Sportswashing Machine's CL spot in danger. Yes, EL would be preferable to ECL, but what would be even worse would be Saudi Sportswashing Machine getting a boost by qualifying for CL.

I would rather Brighton win today and put Saudi Sportswashing Machine's CL spot in danger. Yes, EL would be preferable to ECL, but what would be even worse would be Saudi Sportswashing Machine getting a boost by qualifying for CL.

I know what you mean, and that went through my mind, but they need 6pts and seeing they had Leciester and Chelsea to finish, I thought it might be a waste of a wish and even if they lost tonight they would probably still squeeze in and we miss out.

As it is, I know I posted it is not beyond us, but lets face it I think we all now we will probably mess it up anyway. What will be I suppose.

Had Brighton scored first I might well be thinking it would be funny to Geordies backsides twitching

Great cross. I know Perro is providing assists now, but I have to admit I would still have liked to have seen us get Trippier back

Last edited:
Back