• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

We've got a Lamela thread, let's use that for discussing him and keep this for moaning about Linekar and co.

Let me get this right, this is a Match of the Day thread and you, an administrator, are saying we should not use this thread to discuss any analysis raised during Match of the Day?

I don't know why anyone watches the pundits and their analysis, they're only on the show because no one wants them as managers or coaches. I record the show and FF all the chat.

Let me get this right, this is a Match of the Day thread and you, an administrator, are saying we should not use this thread to discuss any analysis raised during Match of the Day?
No problem with discussing Gullit's comments. I thought that this was spilling over into a general Lamela discussion. Conversations evolve, I understand this and try to let things run on the whole. Keeping threads on topic is one of the hardest calls to get right as an admin, which is why we normally ask people to bring it back on topic themselves.

People are now getting at Lamela because he has not turned into this superstar they all hope for? He needs time to adjust to the league. Just because he has settled in to life in London does not mean he automatically settles into the premier league. How many league games has he played for us since joining? Not only is he still adjusting to the style of play he is also learning new instructions from a new manager so of course its going to take time. Give the guy time and I am sure he will come good.

Lamela was the best player during the time where we were 10 men down - got carried away sometimes, but you can see that this boy just doesn't intend to hoof it away. Also looking much stronger and fitter, and I was surprised at his enthusiasm for getting stuck in.

It's been obvious for weeks that the BBC at least has written us off this year. Not that we've ever been one of their favourites for years.

Gullit's 'analysis' of a couple of players after only one match playing a new system for a new manager with 10 men was a bit naff - was the match that poor that they couldn't find something else to discuss?

Until we put a decent run together - with more than scrambled last minute goals or dodgy penalties - we're going to get more of this.

I'm not Sky-enabled, so not sure how they approached this.

all the media hate tottenham
and this is a thread on MOTD the programme not our players

Hansen has been phoning it in the last few years so no great loss in punditry
Watched Gullit every day during the world cup as a pundit, he's very clued up still and has a lot of contacts in the game still, he should say some interesting stuff at some point

Phil Neville (for what it's worth!) was gushing over Dier on MOTD2 last night.

After the criticism of Eriksen and Lamela, at least it was some positivity!

Phil Neville (for what it's worth!) was gushing over Dier on MOTD2 last night.

After the criticism of Eriksen and Lamela, at least it was some positivity!

One of the worst aspects of modern punditry. It's easy, and lazy, to just focus on mistakes or bash someone for not being outstanding in every single game. I'd rather hear about what teams get right. Tactics, squares, triangles, lines, that sort of thing.

One of the worst aspects of modern punditry. It's easy, and lazy, to just focus on mistakes or bash someone for not being outstanding in every single game. I'd rather hear about what teams get right. Tactics, squares, triangles, lines, that sort of thing.

yep. Unfortunately you'll never get that on MOTD.

I think there is definitely a market for those people who desperately want to watch tv analysis detailing the finer points of the game.

Actually enjoyed the beginnings of an interesting debate on the role of the modern fullback v a wingback by Neville and carragher

yep. Unfortunately you'll never get that on MOTD.

I think there is definitely a market for those people who desperately want to watch tv analysis detailing the finer points of the game.

Actually enjoyed the beginnings of an interesting debate on the role of the modern fullback v a wingback by Neville and carragher

Everything has to be cut down to simple soundbites, you don't get to elaborate on anything. On Sky it's even worse as you have to squeeze it in between the ads.

Everything has to be cut down to simple soundbites, you don't get to elaborate on anything. On Sky it's even worse as you have to squeeze it in between the ads.
I think that we also have to remember that MotD serves a wider audience than Sky or BT. There will be plenty of viewers who only watch football on terrestrial channels or that MotD is their only regular football viewing.

I find it staggering how people take punditry so seriously. Who the hell cares of the analysis re how a team tactically sets up etc etc etc... its easy watching especially for a sat night if at home. I would understand if youre a budding youch coach going places in the Premiership but come on, its all very serious for something that is just well... easy watching.

Two cents worth

im not particularly fussed either DHSF, but as we can see from the differing types of poster we get on here there's plenty of people who do want to see/hear some more in depth tactical stuff - and i think, as Diego says, there's a big gap in the market for it.

surely BT or Sky could afford to run a show for a couple of hours a week for a season and see how it goes - can't cost much to hire out a studio, pay a few learned guests to sit around a table and chat, can it?

I find it staggering how people take punditry so seriously. Who the hell cares of the analysis re how a team tactically sets up etc etc etc... its easy watching especially for a sat night if at home. I would understand if youre a budding youch coach going places in the Premiership but come on, its all very serious for something that is just well... easy watching.

Two cents worth

They could at least come up with something better than Hansen ****ging off BAE or Shearer saying it's a good finish. We have eyes, we can see if it's a well taken goal. It doesn't have to be in-depth, just less lazy/inarticulate.

im not particularly fussed either DHSF, but as we can see from the differing types of poster we get on here there's plenty of people who do want to see/hear some more in depth tactical stuff - and i think, as Diego says, there's a big gap in the market for it.

surely BT or Sky could afford to run a show for a couple of hours a week for a season and see how it goes - can't cost much to hire out a studio, pay a few learned guests to sit around a table and chat, can it?

I dont mind hearing the tactical stuff, sky is there for that with their five hour shows. MOTD is an hour and a half with about six to eight games so the time is limited. I enjoy the relaxed approach and dont mind it at all.

I enjoy Gary Neville and Carragher with indepth analysis but also appreciate the MoTD viewing and offering. I do think Sky do it well. Not every movie has to be an oscar winning nominee.

Back