• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

I thought Gullit was awful. His points were really weak, and he bent things to try and make them relevant. Rubbish!

MOTD could be similar to Top Gear, if only they could find some old footballers capable of banter. Could probably do with some decent writers as well.

What about Penny Smith - former ITV breakfast lass.

Always struck me as a mucky woman, and loves to hate football.

I thought Gullit was awful. His points were really weak, and he bent things to try and make them relevant. Rubbish!

what was wrong exactly? He was right in his criticisms I thought. You can Lamela has something but he isn't necessarily doing the right things at the moment. Missing simple passes, and we do look congested as eriksen and he are taking up similar positions.

Poch knows what he wants ultimately bit I do feel if you stick Lennon out wide right, and eriksen left and let Lamela Play as a number 10 it might work better. But what do I know and also this is a discussion for another thread

I didn't think Gullit was that bad, we were crap, we won't break down decent sides playing like that

I do think MOTD should step it up though, it would be great to have a "high brow" football highlights show, get Michael cox on there and actually teach us something

what was wrong exactly? He was right in his criticisms I thought. You can Lamela has something but he isn't necessarily doing the right things at the moment. Missing simple passes, and we do look congested as eriksen and he are taking up similar positions.

Poch knows what he wants ultimately bit I do feel if you stick Lennon out wide right, and eriksen left and let Lamela Play as a number 10 it might work better. But what do I know and also this is a discussion for another thread

Zero context.
He chose examples from the first 20 minutes of the first proper game of the season! He showed what for me was an obvious need to bash Spurs (for whatever reason he harbors) and was form-fitting examples to suit his agenda. Another person might've looked and said that it was refreshing to see Lamela refuse to hide, look for the ball, look to beat men and look to try and find channels inside. It was a one-sided analysis. He actually said he thought Spurs were poor! First game of the season, away, London derby, new manager…no perspective. I'm surprised he didn't slate Dier for being 'out of position' (of course he was covered by team mates)…no, sorry, for me he Gullit was total ****!

I didn't think Gullit was that bad, we were crap, we won't break down decent sides playing like that

I do think MOTD should step it up though, it would be great to have a "high brow" football highlights show, get Michael cox on there and actually teach us something

'Decent sides' won't play like that. We will have a full squad, our manager will have a few more games under his belt, etc, etc, etc…this was a game we'd have got done in last season by some distance.

Zero context.
He chose examples from the first 20 minutes of the first proper game of the season! He showed what for me was an obvious need to bash Spurs (for whatever reason he harbors) and was form-fitting examples to suit his agenda. Another person might've looked and said that it was refreshing to see Lamela refuse to hide, look for the ball, look to beat men and look to try and find channels inside. It was a one-sided analysis. He actually said he thought Spurs were poor! First game of the season, away, London derby, new manager…no perspective. I'm surprised he didn't slate Dier for being 'out of position' (of course he was covered by team mates)…no, sorry, for me he Gullit was total ****!

You'd back us against any critism Steff, love it. It's like someone having a go at your kid, your not having it.

Again for me he said nothing wrong. Yes praise Lamela for not hiding etc, but he needs to hear those things from others to improve. You learn far more from failing.

I want to see Lamela be devestating in this league. He has something. He also has a long way to go.

'Decent sides' won't play like that. We will have a full squad, our manager will have a few more games under his belt, etc, etc, etc…this was a game we'd have got done in last season by some distance.

i don't think they should grade on a curve, its their job to sit there and tell us what teams are doing wrong

Zero context.

I admire your loyalty Steff, but if you was a fan of another team watching Lamella you would be inclined to agree with Gullit. You are correct that its a positive Lamella looks to beat his man,players who take such risks are obviously going to lose the ball now and again. But Gullit was right, it looks like Lamella at times is trying too hard and would be better served doing the simple things effectively in some instances instead of trying too much and losing it. He did also acknowledge that Lamella has 'something' which lets be honest is the best any of us can say about him at the moment...

You'd back us against any critism Steff, love it. It's like someone having a go at your kid, your not having it.

Again for me he said nothing wrong. Yes praise Lamela for not hiding etc, but he needs to hear those things from others to improve. You learn far more from failing.

I want to see Lamela be devestating in this league. He has something. He also has a long way to go.

:lol: but not strictly true at all (in fact, ask my kids about that one LOL)…I accept valid criticism with decent context and supportive evidence, not flash-bang punditry which carries an agenda.

I personally don't need Ruud Gullit telling Erik Lamela what he shouldn't be doing. Poch should be more than able to do that mate. I think TRUE balls from a pundit would be to give the lad a couple of months to settle in (given that he will be a regular) and not mercilessly scrutinize what was an average performance with sprinkles of promise like it was the kid's career on the line.

Gullit is a prick. An arrogant one too.

Interesting thread for me this one…based on comments I've seen here, increasingly, our supporters react only to the moment and not the context of it OR the potential seen beyond it.

Sad times for me as a supporter…I'm old enough to remember Ossie and Ricky's first seasons here, and neither was particularly devastating for a good season or so…I wonder what chance they'd get now?

Further, I think it's interesting that a team which won it's opening match of the season, a London derby, away from home playing a man down for 30-40 minutes should see the few minutes allotted to discussing their game used to criticize and denigrate a specific player (who had no bearing either way) when the 'soundbite' story would've been the goal itself and the player who scored it.

I repeat, Gullit is a prick. In fact, the greatest shock I had was seeing Shearer sit within a 100 miles of him...

Interesting thread for me this one…based on comments I've seen here, increasingly, our supporters react only to the moment and not the context of it OR the potential seen beyond it.

Sad times for me as a supporter…I'm old enough to remember Ossie and Ricky's first seasons here, and neither was particularly devastating for a good season or so…I wonder what chance they'd get now?

Further, I think it's interesting that a team which won it's opening match of the season, a London derby, away from home playing a man down for 30-40 minutes should see the few minutes allotted to discussing their game used to criticize and denigrate a specific player (who had no bearing either way) when the 'soundbite' story would've been the goal itself and the player who scored it.

I repeat, Gullit is a prick. In fact, the greatest shock I had was seeing Shearer sit within a 100 miles of him...

Nicely said. It's also interesting that no-one mentioned that Lamela has played less than half a dozen (I think) Premier League matches so far. And I think his last one was maybe six months ago. If Gullit wasn't the dingdong he is and Lamela had been an 'established' player after that long a lay off I'm sure he would have been given some leeway with the old 'he's rusty/short of match sharpness' line.

Nicely said. It's also interesting that no-one mentioned that Lamela has played less than half a dozen (I think) Premier League matches so far. And I think his last one was maybe six months ago. If Gullit wasn't the dingdong he is and Lamela had been an 'established' player after that long a lay off I'm sure he would have been given some leeway with the old 'he's rusty/short of match sharpness' line.

I think that I am right in saying that it was only his 4th Premier League start

Criticising a players performance isn't the same as ****ging him off saying I never want to see him again. I think everyone is very very excited with Lamela. Because we can all see something. (As Gullit said). But there is nothing wrong with calling it when he is overcomplicating situations. Of course in context (hardly any playing time in the league) those things will come with playing time. I absolutely back Lamela to shine. Still think there was nothing wrong with what Gullit said. A lot expected of Lamela and Eriksen and both are key to seeing just how far Spurs can go this year. Both on this first showing didn't really show they were ready to propel Spurs into the top 4. But its just 1 game.

Anyway just repeating myself now so I'll shut up :)

I'm with you mate. I was a bit shocked to see the reporting on that game later that evening / the next day, it was like us going down to 10 men meant nothing, it was a foot note in most of the reports I read, let alone the fact it was a joke sending off as well!

Criticising a players performance isn't the same as ****ging him off saying I never want to see him again. I think everyone is very very excited with Lamela. Because we can all see something. (As Gullit said). But there is nothing wrong with calling it when he is overcomplicating situations. Of course in context (hardly any playing time in the league) those things will come with playing time. I absolutely back Lamela to shine. Still think there was nothing wrong with what Gullit said. A lot expected of Lamela and Eriksen and both are key to seeing just how far Spurs can go this year. Both on this first showing didn't really show they were ready to propel Spurs into the top 4. But its just 1 game.

Anyway just repeating myself now so I'll shut up :)

I think the main gripe isn't really about the level of insight or how right or wrong they are, but why pick on Lamela? Surely there's more than enough other, relevant and interesting moments to talk about? Two red cards, missed penalty, hitherto unknown defender scoring on his debut (in stoppage time nonetheless) .

Back