• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

Liverpool team?

This is all I have for now...

Liverpool's U21s lost their first league fixture of the 2012-13 campaign with a 1-0 defeat at Tottenham.

The young Reds had been on a 14-match unbeaten run but fell on Monday to a goal from Jonathan Obika.

Krisztian Adorjan went close with a free-kick and Conor Coady struck a post but Alex Inglethorpe's side could find no way back into the match.

Spurs lead the way in the Elite Group section, having now won three out of four games.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/u21s-unbeaten-run-ended

This is all I have for now...

Liverpool's U21s lost their first league fixture of the 2012-13 campaign with a 1-0 defeat at Tottenham.

The young Reds had been on a 14-match unbeaten run but fell on Monday to a goal from Jonathan Obika.

Krisztian Adorjan went close with a free-kick and Conor Coady struck a post but Alex Inglethorpe's side could find no way back into the match.

Spurs lead the way in the Elite Group section, having now won three out of four games.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/u21s-unbeaten-run-ended

A1751_zps8c557529.jpg

Our Under-21s beat Liverpool 1-0 to inflict defeat upon the Reds' first defeat of the season on Monday at the Training Centre.

In a scrappy encounter, a fantastic individual goal by Jon Obika was enough to secure victory against a side on a 14-match unbeaten run.

Obika's strike was a moment of inspiration after 16 minutes, with the 22-year-old turning and dribbling past Liverpool captain Conor Coady before flicking the ball beyond Robinson and finishing low into the corner of the goal from just inside the box.

It was reward for a combative and committed first half performance in which we threatened to run riot, with Harry Kane shooting inches wide from 30-yards and Dean Parrett forcing a near post save following a fantastic passing move.

Coady tried his luck from long range after half an hour as Alex Inglethorpe's team looked to find a way back into the match, but they found it difficult to find a way past the impressive Byrne and Veljkovic.

The slippery conditions did not help the spectacle in the second half as both teams found it difficult to create chances.

Jonathan Miles was a spectator for much of the match but made a sharp save with his legs from Pelosi in the 75th minute as Liverpool put us under pressure late on.

And the Reds could have levelled in injury time, only for Suso to see his long range effort fly a couple of yards over the bar.

We have now won three of our four games in the Elite Group section and top the table.

SPURS:

Miles;

Byrne; Livermore (Gallifuoco, 58 ) ; Veljkovic; Fryers

Luongo; Carroll; Parrett

Ceballos; Obika; Kane

Subs not used: McGee; McEvoy; Ball.

LIVERPOOL:

Ward

McLaughlin; Roddan; Sama; Robinson

Coady; Suso; Teixeria

Adorjan; Pelosi; Ibe​

Last edited:
For all these great results that our youth team are supposedly getting and for all the propoganda which is posted about the young players on the OS, there doesnt ever seem to be many of them threatening to break into the first team. Granted our first team is half decent but still....

Have always thought though that you should only expect 1 or 2 per year to make it per age group; otherwise every first team squad would have dozens of players.... So I guess if Caulker does and Adam Smith looks like being at least championship level maybe prem level next year then that might be our lot for a while. Am not convinced that Obika, Kane, Parrett, Bostock, Livermore will ever play higher than championship football....maybe Pritchard is the next one, or perhaps Fryers if you include players who were more advanced when we signed them....

that Onomah is supposed to be a talent isn't he? Could he be our Wheelchair? or our Cleverly? who have come through the ranks at top Prem clubs in recent years?

For all these great results that our youth team are supposedly getting and for all the propoganda which is posted about the young players on the OS, there doesnt ever seem to be many of them threatening to break into the first team. Granted our first team is half decent but still....

Have always thought though that you should only expect 1 or 2 per year to make it per age group; otherwise every first team squad would have dozens of players.... So I guess if Caulker does and Adam Smith looks like being at least championship level maybe prem level next year then that might be our lot for a while. Am not convinced that Obika, Kane, Parrett, Bostock, Livermore will ever play higher than championship football....maybe Pritchard is the next one, or perhaps Fryers if you include players who were more advanced when we signed them....

We have a strong squad and our bench when everyone else is fit is also very strong. We would be very stupid to leave out a first team player just to stick a youngster on the bench. Also this is not the right time to be bringing in youngster as we are in a scrap for a CL place and Levy has obviously told AVB we need to start winning things which is why we have put out strong teams in almost every cup match.

If we were mid table and not fighting relegation or fighting for the top 4 then we could look at the youngsters but the situation we are in taking a gamble like that is suicide IMO.

Unlikely yes, but it's not unheard of for a whole batch of players to come through at roughly the same time - eg Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, the Neville brothers, Nicky Butt in the early / mid 90s at Man U.

Not claiming our prospects come anywhere near that calibre of course, but Rose is already well on the way to establishing himself at Premiership level whilst Townsend and Carroll could eventually wind-up at somewhere like Swansea or Norwich.

Don't know too much about our youngsters but in addition to the ones you've already mentioned we hear a lot about the likes of Ceballos, McEvoy, Coulibaly, Lancaster and Luongo.

Happy days!

Unlikely yes, but it's not unheard of for a whole batch of players to come through at roughly the same time - eg Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, the Neville brothers, Nicky Butt in the early / mid 90s at Man U.

Not claiming our prospects come anywhere near that calibre of course, but Rose is already well on the way to establishing himself at Premiership level whilst Townsend and Carroll could eventually wind-up at somewhere like Swansea or Norwich.

Don't know too much about our youngsters but in addition to the ones you've already mentioned we hear a lot about the likes of Ceballos, McEvoy, Coulibaly, Lancaster and Luongo.

Happy days!

Actually, we don't hear a thing about Cameron Lancaster these days. In fact, I'm not sure that I've heard of him once since his brief cameo for the first team just over a year ago. Doesn't seem to feature in any of our teams and I don't think he's on loan anywhere either.

Does he have a long term injury? Or was he released?

i wonder if the players get a chance to play and mingle with each other across age groups. would be fantatic for walker, naughton, caulker and bale just to share tales and keep up the self-belief so necessary for young talents.

SPURS:

Miles;

Luongo; Carroll; Parrett

Ceballos; Obika; Kane

[/QUOTE]

anyone care to give a rundown of what those players are like? e.g. someone here said that McEvoy plays like lennon (but I hope he is much taller).

SPURS:

Miles;

Luongo; Carroll; Parrett

Ceballos; Obika; Kane

anyone care to give a rundown of what those players are like? e.g. someone here said that McEvoy plays like lennon (but I hope he is much taller).[/QUOTE]

Luongo= Parker with Hudd type passing ability, Aussie Iniesta

We have a strong squad and our bench when everyone else is fit is also very strong. We would be very stupid to leave out a first team player just to stick a youngster on the bench. Also this is not the right time to be bringing in youngster as we are in a scrap for a CL place and Levy has obviously told AVB we need to start winning things which is why we have put out strong teams in almost every cup match.

If we were mid table and not fighting relegation or fighting for the top 4 then we could look at the youngsters but the situation we are in taking a gamble like that is suicide IMO.

I did say: 'Granted our first team is half decent but still....'

Generally most top players have started to emerge by the time they are say 20 or 21, though nowadays its more likely to be out on loan. We did loan out 3 or 4 players in jan though I was slightly surprised that a few more didnt go out on loan. Maybe that'll come over the coming month or so but I would have thought that players like Carroll, Ceballos etc would benefit more from playing in compettive football rather than playing u-21 games (especially those that are technically good but physically small - I think we should be getting them out and learning to grow up rather than playing against our still developing players)

Forgot about Rose in my original email; i guess you could claim he's not a Spurs developed player though he has been here for 2 or 3 years.

Came on in the 75th minute but, from what I can gather from the Posh forum, picked up an injury. No idea how serious, though.

Further to this:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/335/8495279/pritchard-set-for-ankle-scan?

Pritchard set for ankle scan
Last Updated: February 12 2013, 11:36 GMT

On-loan Peterborough winger Alex Pritchard is set to have a scan on an ankle injury sustained at the weekend.

Pritchard, who moved to London Road from Tottenham on transfer deadline-day at the end of last month, is nursing a knock following Posh's 2-1 home win over Leicester on Saturday.

He will undergo an X-ray on the ankle on Tuesday when Peterborough's medical team will decide on the best course of action.

Pritchard is on loan with Darren Ferguson's side until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old has impressed for Spurs' youth and reserve sides but has yet to make a first-team appearance for the Barclays Premier League club.

Just on the subject of players coming through. I went to this in May 2009. Quite a lot players from both teams beginning to make breakthroughs for either their first teams or as loanees.

A single goal won the FA Premier Academy League final for Arsenal at White Hart Lane.

A fiesty start saw Tottenham have the first effort on goal, with Danny Rose's seventh minute strike going wide, after he outstripped Coquelin, then shortly afterwards, Obika dispossessed Cruise and hit a tame shot at the Arsenal goal. Oscar Jansson was then called into action when he plunged to his left to keep out Sunu's drive from 18 yards out. Murphy chipped over Jansson, but also over the bar and the Spurs keeper was again diving low to keep the score-line blank, as he palmed Lansbury's volley wide.

On the half hour, Nathan Byrne tried his luck from 25 yards, but it went wide of the goal and ten minutes later, it was the Spurs goal that was under threat, as Jansson saved Coquelin's header and Danny Rose kicked the loose ball away from in front of the goal. Five minutes before the break, Byrne was robbed of the ball by Lansbury. allowing the Arsenal forward a clear run on goal, but he was inaccurate with his shot that went wide with only Jansson to beat.

Into the second half, the only goal of the game came five minutes in. Frimpong won a midfield challenge and sent the ball wide to Sunu, who put a low ball into the goalmouth, where it was knocked in by Murphy from five yards out. it could have been 2-0 on the hour, when Sunu again played a low cross into the box, but Eastmond missed his kick completely to give Spurs a let-off.

A 70th minute break into the Spurs penalty area by Thomas saw Jansson rush out to block his shot, but the ball went up in the air and was heading in until Calum Butcher recovered to head it out. Spurs might have felt that they had a better chance of getting back into the game a couple of minutes later, when Arsenal's Ayling was sent off for a second yellow card offence. While this did give Tottenham some impetus for Smith to hit a shot across goal from the corner of the box and then Thomas almost put a fierce low ball from Townsend into his own goal, but managed to get it wide, the rest of the game was seen out with Arsenal controlling possession and almost adding to their lead.

Jansson had to be on his toes to keep out a rocket of a shot from Watt, who hit it from 25 yards out and Oscar just managed to tip it wide with two minutes to go and then Lansbury shot just wide from a short corner. In added time, the visitors hit the bar with a pile-driver from Frimpong, but there were two late chances for Spurs to equalise. Ryan Mason capitalised on a slip by Thomas and hit a shot from the 18 yard line but it was pulled a yard or so wide. Then, a last minute Bostock corner saw Oscar Jansson join the attack and there were some vain appeals for a handball, before the ball was cleared to safeguard Arsenal's 1-0 win.

Teams :

Spurs - Jansson, Smith, Byrne (Kasim 59), Cox, Caulker, Butcher, Townsend, Parrett (Bostock 86), Obika, Mason, Rose
Subs not used : Butler, Kane, Nicholson

Arsenal - Szczesny, Eastmond, Cruise (Evina 62), Frimpong, Bartley, Ayling, Lansbury, Coquelin, Murphy (Henderson 81), Sunu (Watt 66), Thomas.
Subs not used : Shea, Boateng

Attendance : - 3,000

Both Thomas and Lansbury have established themselves in the Championship it seems, with Ipswich and Forest respectively. Can see Thomas dropping down the leagues soon though, 7 goals in 59 appearances is not enough for a striker/winger and he's mostly used as a sub.

Back