• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

i think there are many young players in England who never get the chance beyond a certain level because of a lack of physicality in their play, so don't get the chance to develop. sending our more technical prospects to play in leagues more suited to their style seems like a good idea - not just for us but from the players perspective if they can show they are capable playing in the less physical leagues it might secure them deals abroad should they not make it in England

I think it'd be great for England if more English youngsters played abroad. I'd much rather see the likes of Pritchard get a footballing education in La Liga than in the Championship; OTOH, for a youngster, going abroad to live in another country without your family can be very daunting, and mentally it might really be an issue. For the best of the best though, you have to think they have the mentality to overcome that.

I think it'd be great for England if more English youngsters played abroad. I'd much rather see the likes of Pritchard get a footballing education in La Liga than in the Championship; OTOH, for a youngster, going abroad to live in another country without your family can be very daunting, and mentally it might really be an issue. For the best of the best though, you have to think they have the mentality to overcome that.

When i saw we were getting our players loaned abroad i liked the idea and we do have some technically gifted players. It is strange because in the premership we often buy from abroad players because they are at a higher skill level, yet when we produce talented youngsters we can not get them into the team because they are not ready.

It is almost like we are going for a swiss finishing school approach something that seems a novel and new way of doing things and im all for it, wonder if it will work.

Most of the footballing education our young players receive should happen at our academy.

A player isn't going to come back from a 6 or 12 month loan with massively improved technique, mainly it's about first team experience, getting used the the competitiveness and pace of first team football etc. Along with the natural improvement in ability at that age of course.

I'm guessing that sending players to loan in less physical leagues is more about finding a league where they can fit in and get that experience without just being completely overpowered when they are still young and growing.

I think it also just might be a case about finding a suitable club with a fitting playing style that will take the player. A lot of Premiership clubs like ourselves have a lot of youngsters looking for loan deals, not all Championship clubs play football that suit our small technical players so finding the right loan move isn't always going to be easy. Might just be out of necessity that we send some players into other countries.

Adam Smith having a good game for England U21 vs Sweden U21...I am very impressed.

Great play from Smith. He has got a great pass on him - weighted into the right player's path

[video=youtube;O8bBkeD3Lm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O8bBkeD3Lm0#![/video]

INTERNATIONAL SPURS ROUND-UP:

Gareth Bale shone again for Wales on a night of mixed emotions for our players on international duty.

Gareth opened the scoring in the first half and set up the second goal for Sam Vokes as Wales enjoyed a 2-1 friendly win against Austria at the Liberty Stadium. He also went close with a volley before departing on the hour.

Clint Dempsey was on target for the USA - but it turned into a disappointing night as Honduras came from behind to win the first match of the final phase of World Cup qualifying in the North, Central America, Caribbean zone.

Clint volleyed home to hand the States the lead in the first half at the Stadio Olimpico, San Pedro Sula, only for Juan Garcia and Jerry Bengtson to turn it around for Honduras.

There is a still a long way to go through - six teams play each other home and away and the top three progress to the finals in Brazil, 2014.

Back to friendly action and both Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen played 90 minutes as Belgium struck a late winner against Slovakia.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto also played a full shift in Cameroon's 1-0 win in Tanzania, as did Gylfi Sigurdsson as Iceland suffered a 2-0 loss against Russia.

Hugo Lloris made fine saves to keep out Mesut Ozil and Per Mertesacker as France took a 1-0 lead against Germany at the Stade de France. However, the Germans responded to win 2-1 with goals from Thomas Muller and Sami Khedira in the second half.

Aaron Lennon came on for the final 15 minutes as England beat Brazil at Wembley.

Great play from Smith. He has got a great pass on him - weighted into the right player's path

[video=youtube;O8bBkeD3Lm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O8bBkeD3Lm0#![/video]

Thanks for that. One assist and one assist for an assist :-" for Adam.

Loved Ince's mum and grumpy dad! Henderson playing well for Liverpool. I love Shelvey shooting on sight for Liverpool-I can't believe he is only 20-looks about 40. Liverpool will be a force next term.
Conor Wickham is still only 19. I sort of fancied him for Spurs based on his Ipswich form, but-a bit of a drawback for a striker-he can't score.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Adam Smith next year. On the basis that you want 4 full backs in a squad then you assume we'd have 2 of Walker, Naughton and Smith plus 2 of BAE, Rose and Fryers.

Smith has done all he can in the championship so I would presonally look to loan him to a premier league team next year for the season, in a similar way to how Caulker went to Swansea. Dont see the point in us keeping him as there would be the risk that he wouldnt play that much. Better for him to go somewhere andplay 36 PL games

Will be interesting to see what happens to Adam Smith next year. On the basis that you want 4 full backs in a squad then you assume we'd have 2 of Walker, Naughton and Smith plus 2 of BAE, Rose and Fryers.

Smith has done all he can in the championship so I would presonally look to loan him to a premier league team next year for the season, in a similar way to how Caulker went to Swansea. Dont see the point in us keeping him as there would be the risk that he wouldnt play that much. Better for him to go somewhere andplay 36 PL games

We ain't short of full backs, are we? But you can't get a quart in a pint pot. How good is this Fryers? Funny signing really. I did not realise just how key BAE was to the club until he came back. Is Fryers left footed?
Key decisions to be made and probably a loan move in the EPL for Adam is the best solution.

Thanks for that. One assist and one assist for an assist :-" for Adam.

Loved Ince's mum and grumpy dad! Henderson playing well for Liverpool. I love Shelvey shooting on sight for Liverpool-I can't believe he is only 20-looks about 40. Liverpool will be a force next term.
Conor Wickham is still only 19. I sort of fancied him for Spurs based on his Ipswich form, but-a bit of a drawback for a striker-he can't score.

I remember a quote from harry at the time saying that the club looked at wickham but did not bother because they had kane. Seeing as wickham has done nothing in the prem yet and kane had a decent run of games and goals in the championship you would have to say the is not a lot in it between them.

Maybe if we do not think kane will make it we should loan to ipswich for a season then sunderland can come in and pay 12m for him. Think we are going to screw them over a price for rose as well.

For the record i hope we keep and play both rose and kane.

I remember a quote from harry at the time saying that the club looked at wickham but did not bother because they had kane. Seeing as wickham has done nothing in the prem yet and kane had a decent run of games and goals in the championship you would have to say the is not a lot in it between them.

Maybe if we do not think kane will make it we should loan to ipswich for a season then sunderland can come in and pay 12m for him. Think we are going to screw them over a price for rose as well.

For the record i hope we keep and play both rose and kane.

:p

I like it, thinking outside the box!

http://www.safc.com/news/reserves-and-academy/2013/february/u18s-downed-by-spurs?

U18s downed by Spurs

Published: 09 February, 2013
by Ashley Houghton

Tottenham Hotspur U18 5 Sunderland U18 1

The young Black Cats rued a slow start as they were defeated 5-1 by Tottenham Hotspur in London. The hosts started brightly and broke the deadlock on ten minutes. Spurs then doubled their advantage on 35 minutes before making it 3-0 on the stroke of half time.

Craig Liddle changed his side’s formation at the break and the Black Cats showed more resistance and fight as the second half progressed.
That resistance was broken, though, as the vibrant Spurs made it 4-0 on the hour mark.

Martin Smith scored a late consolation with a sublime free-kick 20 minutes from time before Spurs made it 5-1 in the closing stages, leaving Liddle frustrated at his boys' slow start.

He said: “I was bitterly disappointed with our first-half performance. We started very slowly and very poorly; we were barely out of the blocks when their third goal went in. We changed it around a bit in the second half but the damage had already been done."

Sunderland: Dixon, Reece Noble, Ledger, Lane, Holland, Agnew, Smith, T Robson, Honeyman (Stinson, 80), Thomas (E Robson, 45 (McCarthy 80)).

Nor were Ryan Mason in Llorient squad.
Going abroad it's to expect that it takes a bit more time to settle for a young player

Back