• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Are you from Liverpool?

This has been in the pipes for a long time now, one of the incidents that helped put it in the pipes was the Lampard vs Germany goal that wasn't given.

This has been spoken about many times and at every stage Blatter has said it isn't needed, within 24 hours of the England game he had changed his mind. Why?

This has been spoken about many times and at every stage Blatter has said it isn't needed, within 24 hours of the England game he had changed his mind. Why?

Because he like being popular. The technology was going to be voted in, after the ukraine thing and the lampard goal from the World Cup.

He's the kind of guy that'll change his stance to be on the winning side.

I heard Blatter speak yesterday about how he changed his mind on technology, and it was the closest thing to honesty I've ever heard from the old bastard.

One google search later:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/21/fifa-goal-line-technology

Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, reversed his opposition to goal-line technology after England were denied a clear goal in their second-round loss to Germany at the 2010 World Cup.

That article is from 2011. It clearly states that FIFA were testing different technologies.

Uefa to ignore goal line technology rule

UEFA have announced they will continue with additional assistant referees in the Champions League and Europa League next season - but not goal line technology.

The International FA Board (IFAB) gave their approval to the extra assistants, one next to each goal, to be used in competitions following an experimental period.

IFAB also gave the go-ahead to goal-line technology but, with UEFA president Michel Platini a firm opponent, the systems will not be used in European competition for the foreseeable future.

UEFA said in a statement: "In essence, the additional assistant referees provide two extra pairs of eyes to monitor the game and ensure that the Laws of the Game are upheld.

"They inform the referee of incidents of any kind that he may otherwise have missed, particularly in key areas of the field like the penalty area and its surroundings.

"The referee will remain in sole charge of the match, and the only match official with decision-making powers."

A report by UEFA following Euro 2012 found there were many more accurate offside decisions than in the past - explained by the assistant referees being able to concentrate on offsides and leaving the officials next to the goal to watch for foul play.

UEFA will continue with the use of additional assistant referees from the play-off matches of the coming season's Champions League, and the group stage of the Europa League as well as the UEFA Super Cup.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/uefa-ignore-goal-line-technology-rule-131843688.html

Which would be fine. If those two assistants made even half the calls they were supposed to be making.

But they don't.

Re: OT Goal-Line Technology

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke hailed 'a kind of revolution' as the football world prepared for Thursday's introduction of goal-line technology.

The governing body was staunchly against the use of any form of technology for many years but the winds changed in the wake of the 2010 World Cup, where England were denied a clear goal against Germany when Frank Lampard's shot crossed the line.

Since then the journey has been a relatively rapid one and FIFA will try out two systems - UK-based Hawk-Eye and GoalRef, from Germany - at the Club World Cup in Japan, starting with the match between Sanfrecce Hiroshima and Auckland City.

'It's a big day,' Valcke said on fifa.com. 'Tomorrow will be the first time that goal-line technology will be officially used in a game. The tests are done; and the instillation tests were successful.

'This is also an important day for us, because we will use one of the two systems we are using here in the FIFA Confederations Cup next year.'

He added: 'This is a kind of revolution. It is the first time that this kind of technology is coming into football.

'It will be restricted to the goal-line specifically. The IFAB (International Football Association Board) is there to ensure the 17 laws of the game are protected.

'It was their decision, and they were clear, to say that the technology is limited to the goal-line.

'We must ensure that when the ball goes into the goal, the referee must get the information that the ball has gone in. The referee has the final decision.

'The technology won't change the speed, value or spirit of the game.

'There is no reason to be against this technology.'

The Hawk-Eye system is the same as that used in cricket and tennis, which relies on a series of seven cameras to create a 3D picture of each goal, while GoalRef uses electro-magnetic sensors.

Valcke also said he had full confidence there would be no errors from the technology.

'It needs to be the most accurate system we can have at the moment,' he said. 'There can be no mistakes with this and that is why the IFAB took two years to make sure the system was perfect.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243260/Goal-line-technology-finally-makes-debut-Thursday.html

How many years ago was Pedro Mendes at Old Trafford? Still nothing! I don't think it will come in my lifetime.

Apologies - thought you were waiting for an offical press release from Utd, etc.

EDIT: It's coming out on Thursday according to that article

Last edited:

If Jurgs pegs out tonight you're going to feel real bad now dingdongo.

If Jurgs pegs out tonight you're going to feel real bad now dingdongo.

Haha Dont!

What's the chane of a goal line incident even occuring in these Club Cup games? It could take about 30 games and another year before it's ever needed! Not saying I disagree or anything (definitely about time we had it) just thinking they'll be talking about it on the commentary every 2 mins but there won't even be an incident lol

Haha Dont!

What's the chane of a goal line incident even occuring in these Club Cup games? It could take about 30 games and another year before it's ever needed! Not saying I disagree or anything (definitely about time we had it) just thinking they'll be talking about it on the commentary every 2 mins but there won't even be an incident lol
It's a start. The more games they try it in, then the more chance there is of one of these systems capturing the ball going across the line (or not). Also - they might gain vital information from these systems such as ease of use, set-up etc (and the ability to compare the two).

A test is not the same as introducing it. FIFA asked a couple of companies to come up with some options a number of years ago. One system got dismissed for no immediately apparent reason and they the second wasn't considered good enough. Then it went on the back burner for a few years while they came up with the usual excuses. Now they are trying again. They may test it at the world club cup but if there is an ambiguous decision it wouldn't surprise me if it was used as an excuse to shelve plans They would claim that they tried but that the "technology is not ready".

There does seem some deep-rooted reluctance to technological solutions. They have been pushed kicking and screaming to try something, but I suspect any excuse will be used to delay. I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully there's an incident (and it works fine) in one of these first games while the publicity his high. Maybe then it would hurry things along for the introduction to other competitions

A test is not the same as introducing it. FIFA asked a couple of companies to come up with some options a number of years ago. One system got dismissed for no immediately apparent reason and they the second wasn't considered good enough. Then it went on the back burner for a few years while they came up with the usual excuses. Now they are trying again. They may test it at the world club cup but if there is an ambiguous decision it wouldn't surprise me if it was used as an excuse to shelve plans They would claim that they tried but that the "technology is not ready".

There does seem some deep-rooted reluctance to technological solutions. They have been pushed kicking and screaming to try something, but I suspect any excuse will be used to delay. I hope I'm wrong.

FIFA approved goal line technology this summer. This is the first step in implementing it. One of the reasons Southampton played most of their preseason friendlies at home was the fact that they had one of these systems installed at St. Mary's Friend Provident Whatevertheycallit Stadium.

From early July:

Goal-line technology approved by IFAB. FIFA to introduce it at Club World Cup ahead of 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup

Goal-line technology gets the green light at last

• Ifab approves Hawk-Eye and GoalRef systems to be used
• Set to be implemented in Premier League soon as 2013

Goal-line technology has been approved as part of the laws of football in an historic decision by the International FA Board (Ifab).

Two systems, Hawk-Eye and GoalRef, have been approved by the Ifab after passing a series of scientific tests.

Haha Dont!
Sure he'll be fine ;) If not we can all chip in to buy him a budget headstone.

Here lies Jurgen the German
"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I never got to see them use Goalref."

and a nice picture of a badger.

Something like that.

Back