• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

I've already made a thread on this outlining the advantages and disadvantages of each type of GLT

I hate the fact this will be one of the only changes to football I can think of that will put up a divide between professional and non-pro football. The game will no longer be the same in the park as it is in Wembley. That saddens me.

Besides, how many times would it have been used in the EPL last season? I can't think of any instances in the league. The FA Cup SF is the only instance I can think of. Which of course matters, but for GHod's sake you'd think it happens in every second game with all the broohaha. All this fuss over 1 or 2 decisions a year. I think it's a populist bandwagon over a pretty marginal matter to be honest. If it was technology to auto-decide offside, that would be major. Goal-line tech though, meh.

I hate the fact this will be one of the only changes to football I can think of that will put up a divide between professional and non-pro football. The game will no longer be the same in the park as it is in Wembley. That saddens me.

Besides, how many times would it have been used in the EPL last season? I can't think of any instances in the league. The FA Cup SF is the only instance I can think of. Which of course matters, but for GHod's sake you'd think it happens in every second game with all the broohaha. All this fuss over 1 or 2 decisions a year. I think it's a populist bandwagon over a pretty marginal matter to be honest. If it was technology to auto-decide offside, that would be major. Goal-line tech though, meh.

Football is becoming like every other sport. I don't see how that's a significant difference. How often are you going to have one of these decisions at grass roots? Very rarely? You'll hardly even notice it.

However in a professional capacity, where those 1 or 2 decisions in a year can make the difference between millions and millions of pounds, I can't really see a problem with them putting this in. After all, every little helps.

You say it wouldn't have been used last season in the league for us, and your correct, but the season before? We lost against Chelsea, one of their goals did not cross the entire line.

Last edited:
Surely rigging up cameras on either side of each goal will be the easiest to implement? Like this..

TevezGoalRUK_468x358.jpg

If it's a man doing it your hardly likely to rule out the current 'conspiracy' theories.

Far better to have a machine that gives exactly the same requirements for every single close call every single time for every single team.

I meant for all decisions
goalline
offsides
Balotelli tap dancing on your head
last defender
shirt pulling
diving

routine match decisions to continue from the man on the pitch, whilst taking input from the video ref

video ref to take the final decision

QPR almost went down over a shocking decision at Bolton.
And I'm sorry but there was one in the league at Old Trafford a few years back that makes my blood boil every time I see it.

There are already a zillion differences between the Premier league and lower level football, by the time you track it through the Championship, Leagues 1/2, non League, Sunday league. We have goal line officials in the Champions League, so there really isn't the problem for extra SUPPORT for referees, in the division where there is far more pressure on both players and officials than anywhere else in England.

I see the argument about having the same rules in football whatever the level but we aren't changing the number of players per team, or definition of offside. We're just trying to minimise the errors. And as for errors being "part of the game" well errors like Mendes, Mata, Balotelli, Foy have ruined the game for me over the last few years. Anything we can do to move away from that is a step in the right direction.

I meant for all decisions
goalline
offsides
Balotelli tap dancing on your head
last defender
shirt pulling
diving

routine match decisions to continue from the man on the pitch, whilst taking input from the video ref

video ref to take the final decision

Aah right...

I'm not against this in principle, just curious how it would work. Would play stop whenever the off-field ref wanted to watch replays? It could end up with a lot of drop ball situations...

I agree with the ones i've bolded, so pretty much everything excluding shirt pulling. I think there has to be some sort of clarification on it made by the ref's association, it is very inconsistently ref'ed and it occurs at every single set piece, with only very few being punished.

Although I would say better communication between refs, linesmen, fourth officials and captains would go a helluva long way to ease the pressure on officials. This includes clear and direct action taken against any player that appeals a decision, it's not like LBW in cricket, I see no reason at all why a player should be free to chase after an ref screaming handball handball.

But if refs were to be seen clearly consulting their officials at least we wouldn't feel most of these decisions are being made blind.

QPR almost went down over a shocking decision at Bolton.
And I'm sorry but there was one in the league at Old Trafford a few years back that makes my blood boil every time I see it.

There are already a zillion differences between the Premier league and lower level football, by the time you track it through the Championship, Leagues 1/2, non League, Sunday league. We have goal line officials in the Champions League, so there really isn't the problem for extra SUPPORT for referees, in the division where there is far more pressure on both players and officials than anywhere else in England.

I see the argument about having the same rules in football whatever the level but we aren't changing the number of players per team, or definition of offside. We're just trying to minimise the errors. And as for errors being "part of the game" well errors like Mendes, Mata, Balotelli, Foy have ruined the game for me over the last few years. Anything we can do to move away from that is a step in the right direction.

Honestly am not sure what they are there to do, they don't seem to make any of the decisions that they are perfectly placed to make. Just seems to be Fifa attempting to do their bit to tackle unemployment..

Honestly am not sure what they are there to do, they don't seem to make any of the decisions that they are perfectly placed to make. Just seems to be Fifa attempting to do their bit to tackle unemployment..

We had one in the Europa at WHL who made a fantastic call this season. It was against us, but it was superb officiating in every way. Put that scumbag Foy to total shame.

Aah right...

I'm not against this in principle, just curious how it would work. Would play stop whenever the off-field ref wanted to watch replays? It could end up with a lot of drop ball situations...

I agree with the ones i've bolded, so pretty much everything excluding shirt pulling. I think there has to be some sort of clarification on it made by the ref's association, it is very inconsistently ref'ed and it occurs at every single set piece, with only very few being punished.

Put that one back in the on field refs remit then, its just that sometimes penalties are given for it, so my view was that the video ref will see it better and more shirt pullers will be caught, until hopefully people learn to stop doing it.

I personally dont think that video refs would need to stop the game whilst they arbitrate incidents, a lot can be pulled up real time, under the playing advantage principle. Generally most judicial decisions will come after a stoppage anyway, and will not impact on the game - particularly as the 4th official gets used to it.

Balotelli like incidents are serious enough to bring play to a stop, so that justice can be meted out on the spot, rather than 3 weeks later at a tribunal, after the game was settled by the criminal who remained on the pitch.

I would love to see the deliberate obstruction perpetrated in the name of shepherding a ball out of play be penalised more often as well. GHod that tinkles me off.

So we have the game stop every other minute?

Nope, you do it like in Tennis

Each captain will be allowed 3 calls to question a major decision,

- Each decision would be decided in 1 minute or less (if camera ref can't determine, default's to original decision)
- If you question a call and you were right, you remain with your 3 calls
- If you question and you were wrong, you lose 1 call
- You run out of calls = your fault

No substantial impact on game time, or interruptions, and a lot happier spectators/players/managers ...

The way that technology has been opposed so vigurously by FIFA questions if there is a reason they don't want to correct bad calls.

Watching the Magic Weekend just makes me think why we cant have a similar system in football, where the ref goes to the 'square in the air' to verify debatable tries. It adds a few minutes to the 80 minutes because sometimes they need it 5 or 6 times a game. I doubt we would need that many clarifications from the 4th official in a footie game

O/T FIFA Approves Goal Line Technology

FourFourTwo @FourFourTwo

NEW NEWS Goal-line technology approved by IFAB. FIFA to introduce it at Club World Cup ahead of 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup

Goal-line technology gets the green light at last

• Ifab approves Hawk-Eye and GoalRef systems to be used
• Set to be implemented in Premier League soon as 2013

Goal-line technology has been approved as part of the laws of football in an historic decision by the International FA Board (Ifab).

Two systems, Hawk-Eye and GoalRef, have been approved by the Ifab after passing a series of scientific tests.

Technology could be introduced into the Premier League as soon as the new year following the decision at a meeting in Zurich.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/05/goal-line-technology-green-light?CMP=twt_gu

Last edited:
Back