• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Re: O/T - Goal-Line Technology Approved For WC 2014

In a few years time all games will be lasting a lot longer :(

Worth it.

I would quite happily take a 30 second wait if you could challenge a penalty/dive.

It's hard to enforce in the case of offsides, but we get so many goals disallowed due to that to make me wish we could have appealed those last season.

Ballotelli stamping on Parker's head and going on to win that game, Lescot's forearm smash in that game...

I'd love to be able to option to appeal many things in the knowledge that the correct decision after 30 seconds is better than a wrong decision that might cost a team 50 million but was made instantly.

Worth it.

I would quite happily take a 30 second wait if you could challenge a penalty/dive.

It's hard to enforce in the case of offsides, but we get so many goals disallowed due to that to make me wish we could have appealed those last season.

Balotelli stamping on Parker's head and going on to win that game, Lescott's forearm smash in that game...

I'd love to be able to option to appeal many things in the knowledge that the correct decision after 30 seconds is better than a wrong decision that might cost a team 50 million but was made instantly.

If it stays with goal line technology, then i would not mind. However this is just the start and its going to be to the death of the game we all love, the game will be stopped and started all the time and it will become a joke, (a American football is a hour of play but goes on for 3 hours) what with players apeling every decision made it will be a dissater.

About time football joined the rest of the sports in the 21st century. NFL, cricket, rugby, tennis and countless other sports use technology to great effect.

There is so much money in football these days and so much at stake that one game could cost a manager his job, a team it's place in the league in a relegation battle or a league title for one of the contenders. How silly is it that a goal not given or a goal wrongfully given can be the difference in a game when everybody at home can see the mistake?

We should take every possible opportunity to make the officials' jobs that much easier.

Worth it.

Ballotelli stamping on Parker's head and going on to win that game, Lescot's forearm smash in that game...

Really? I'd have thought offsides could be relatively straightforward nowadays. We see conclusive evidence from the imaginary line on the rewind within what - five? ten? seconds. I have argued before that at top-tier levels the linesman should no longer have the final say on this. He would still raise his flag but the ref would allow play to continue until he gets confirmation or otherwise from the fourth official watching his screen who would signal his decision one way or another to the ref as soon as he has come to his conclusion.

Yes, there might be some irritation at having to bring play back, but hopefully fans would recognise that the pay-off of a correct decision would be worth it

Whereas fouls and dives can often be pretty difficult to resolve even after numerous rewinds.

Whatever. I daresay in 20-30 years time all major decisions will be resolved remotely by instant computer simulations.

Possibly. But ask yourself how much time is spent with players chasing referees, arguing with referees and slowing the game down after controversial decisions. We might as well use the time productively.

Possibly. But ask yourself how much time is spent with players chasing referees, arguing with referees and slowing the game down after controversial decisions. We might as well use the time productively.
Agreed.

Really? I'd have thought offsides could be relatively straightforward nowadays. We see conclusive evidence from the imaginary line on the rewind within what - five? ten? seconds. I have argued before that at top-tier levels the linesman should no longer have the final say on this. He would still raise his flag but the ref would allow play to continue until he gets confirmation or otherwise from the fourth official watching his screen who would signal his decision one way or another to the ref as soon as he has come to his conclusion.

That is the part that's difficult. The offside itself is clear cut, black and white, no need to wonder how much contact there was and if a player tried to get contact as there might be for a penalty... However, it's the confirmation you mention that might be tough. When does an offside need to be played on? Always? Even if everyone in the ground can see a player is 10 yards offside? In those situations it might be quick and easy to confirm things quickly, but play might still continue for 15 seconds...

If an offside takes 45 seconds to double check, anything can have happened in that time. The team that would have got the offside decision might have scored down the other end of the pitch (advantage might count then, or perhaps the play would have to come back). The problem is that window of uncertainty when the ball is in play, the play is continuing, the flag is up and people are scrambling to check whether someone is offside or not.

If every offside decision had a shot following it and the play could be stopped for 20 more seconds to decide what happened, that'd be fine. But it's more likely that something else happens, we could see a Magic The Gathering type situation where the first offside is resolved, the next free kick is resolved and another offside is resolved, followed by a penalty being resolved...

At least with penalty shouts, there's usually a decent chance of the ball going out of play shortly afterwards. (Maybe less so with handballs, but a lot of the time if a player falls over.)

By contrast, seeing I think Argentina score against Mexico and the officials having to ignore the big screen telling them they got it wrong was fudging insane. (Tevez's offside goal in the world cup.)

Its the future and I can't wait. Scoring a goal and being denied it by inaccurate refereeing is unacceptable in this day and age. Technology works seamlessly in all other sports. Ridiculous to compare it to American football as that stops all the time anyway .

Its the future and I can't wait. Scoring a goal and being denied it by inaccurate refereeing is unacceptable in this day and age. Technology works seamlessly in all other sports. Ridiculous to compare it to American football as that stops all the time anyway .

Yeah exactly. I don't think anyone wants it for offsides. Just for goals and maybe introduce a challenge system like in tennis and NFL for red cards and penalty decisions.

Most of the breaks in all American sports are for tv purposes. The 2 minute warning was brought in specifically so the tv networks could throw in more adverts at peak viewing times.

As i said earlier i have no problem with goal line technology but we all know it will not stop there, and as for the suggestion that managers should be ble to object to refs decisions and throw a flag onto the field three times a game, its madness.

As i said earlier i have no problem with goal line technology but we all know it will not stop there, and as for the suggestion that managers should be ble to object to refs decisions and throw a flag onto the field three times a game, its madness.

Well it's worked for tennis. They haven't kept things the same since they added the challenge system, and it actuall saves time as the players don't argue with the umpire.

As for the the 2nd part, we don't have to adopt the exact same system i.e. the managers throwing flags onto the field. I agree there will always be the element of human error, but I don't see why the fourth official could not let the ref know he got one wrong for incidents in the penalty area.

One thing that annoys me is Sepp Blatter saying that bad decisions are good because they are talking points, me personally, I would rather be talking about the officials getting it right rather than making a shocking decision and potentially costing one team.

The game should be in the refs hands still. Just if he or his assistants don't have a good enough view to make a call they can refer to video evidence

The game should be in the refs hands still. Just if he or his assistants don't have a good enough view to make a call they can refer to video evidence

agree in principle, not sure they would have the confidence to do that when they can pass it off to a faceless entity over the radio though

Back