• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

As long as it's an additional official sitting there telling the ref "in" or "out" instead of like ice hockey where the ref skates to the rink to talk to the officials. If it is seamless and fans won't notice much of a difference, then there won't be much argument against it after long.

I still think this is a red herring.

Loads of money to sort out 1-2 mistakes per season per league while a lot of other mistakes that influence games just as much go on unchecked. Very small improvement for a massive cost, but at least now FIFA can say that they are doing something to take the pressure off them for a decade or so...

I still think this is a red herring.

Loads of money to sort out 1-2 mistakes per season per league while a lot of other mistakes that influence games just as much go on unchecked. Very small improvement for a massive cost, but at least now FIFA can say that they are doing something to take the pressure off them for a decade or so...

How much does the system cost to install? And what is it's upkeep?

How much does the system cost to install? And what is it's upkeep?

I remember reading somewhere that the installation costs for the Premier League would exceed the £8m per year the FA currently spend on refs.

I did a quick google search and the first actual number I found was £1.25m per club (http://keirradnedge.com/2012/07/05/goal-line-technology-do-not-expect-to-see-graphics-on-the-big-screen-2/)

It might not end up being that expensive and upkeep probably won't be that much, but it's going to be expensive and in my opinion ridiculously expensive when thought of as "cost per decision" or "cost per error avoided".

Scrapping the rule where when players already got a yellow card can't get retrospective bans for that offense or introducing automatic one or two match retrospective bans for simulation would have a much bigger impact on the fairness of the game at a (very small) fraction of the cost.

I remember reading somewhere that the installation costs for the Premier League would exceed the £8m per year the FA currently spend on refs.

I did a quick google search and the first actual number I found was £1.25m per club (http://keirradnedge.com/2012/07/05/goal-line-technology-do-not-expect-to-see-graphics-on-the-big-screen-2/)

It might not end up being that expensive and upkeep probably won't be that much, but it's going to be expensive and in my opinion ridiculously expensive when thought of as "cost per decision" or "cost per error avoided".

Scrapping the rule where when players already got a yellow card can't get retrospective bans for that offense or introducing automatic one or two match retrospective bans for simulation would have a much bigger impact on the fairness of the game at a (very small) fraction of the cost.

For which one? Hawkeye or Goalref?

I've heard that Goalref is pretty cheap to install tbh, and that's what they're going to use in the championship and below.

That link says Hawkeye, I can't remember what I heard the previous figure about.

Either way, of the ref errors that directly and severely change the outcomes of games (to me offsides, penalties, red cards and goal line disputes) this technology fixes a very small percentage of those. I haven't actually seen any stats on this, but I would be surprised if goal line disputes made up even 5% of those cases.

I can agree, however the problem with some of those errors (penalties, red cards) are highly based upon the referee's perception. If you did get replays for them, it would not eliminate human error as you still require humans to decide upon the result. There would be a lot more conspiracy threories going round if even with the replay teams felt they were hard done by, which would happen every week.

Whereas Goal line technology is that it's either in, or it's not. No human error. Deciding to include replays is a completely different discussion compared to goal line tech in my opinion. Though it is in a similar area.

These '1-2 errors a season' have cost us big time in the last couple of years. Let's not complain.

Would never have happened had the Ukraine "goal" been given against England, Blatter changed his mind once that happened.

These '1-2 errors a season' have cost us big time in the last couple of years. Let's not complain.

I can think of multiple incidences against Chelsea alone. And let's not forget Carroll's magnificent 'save' against Pedro Mendes...

I can agree, however the problem with some of those errors (penalties, red cards) are highly based upon the referee's perception. If you did get replays for them, it would not eliminate human error as you still require humans to decide upon the result. There would be a lot more conspiracy threories going round if even with the replay teams felt they were hard done by, which would happen every week.

Whereas Goal line technology is that it's either in, or it's not. No human error. Deciding to include replays is a completely different discussion compared to goal line tech in my opinion. Though it is in a similar area.

Proper discussion about what should and shouldn't be a red card card, penalty or even offside (new situation stuff) could happen, referees might actually end up reffing the games in a similar way instead of each game being reffed under different rules depending on the ref and how he feels that day. But no, let's not talk about that and let's certainly not talk about actually punishing diving, cheating or shirt pulling. No, let's talk about these relatively very rare instances that FIFA are now doing something about. To me it's big, fish shaped, redish and herring tasting.

There will always be errors, I accept that. However a video ref (or panel) couldn't be making blatant errors where as refs can so how the conspiracy theories would get worse I don't understand.

Would never have happened had the Ukraine "goal" been given against England, Blatter changed his mind once that happened.

Are you from Liverpool?

This has been in the pipes for a long time now, one of the incidents that helped put it in the pipes was the Lampard vs Germany goal that wasn't given.

No reason to believe that it will benefit us, just as likely to cost us as it is to benefit us. Things will just get ever so slightly more fair.

No reason to believe that it will benefit us, just as likely to cost us as it is to benefit us. Things will just get ever so slightly more fair.

Slightly more fair benefits us. I would rather have goals for us disallowed by this technology and be safe in the knowledge that no cvnt of a ref can give ridiculous goals against us than have the rare goal unjustly given to us but still be open to getting fvcked over.

Slightly more fair benefits us. I would rather have goals for us disallowed by this technology and be safe in the knowledge that no cvnt of a ref can give ridiculous goals against us than have the rare goal unjustly given to us but still be open to getting fvcked over.

Doesn't benefit us over other clubs...

Back