• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Zdravko Mamic (Dinamo Zagreb's Vice-President) has a column with a Croatian paper (for the Euros).

http://www.vecernji.hr/sport/nogome...odric-ide-najbolji-klub-svijetu-clanak-418474

Mamic was involved in Modrics transfer to Spurs in the first place. Pretty sure he is some sort of advisor for Modric. Surely by saying that he will soon play for the biggest club in the world would rule out Man Utd. Much more likely to be Real Madrid imo.

I think he might move to Barcelona, I think that is the side which would be written as the best team in the World. If Modric was to move there, I could understand the move, as Modric supported the team when he was younger and idolised Cruyff I believe, and providing that they gave us a sizeable amount of money to land Modric then I could accept the sale. I want us to keep hold of him but likeliehood is that he is going so may as well start accepting this.

Why do Barca need Modric?
It's Madrid.

What bird is that guy going on about on BBC that's really fit?

Name?

It doesn't matter how much money we get for him... if we sell Modric, it'll be a backwards step for the club. He's a genuinely world-class player and I can't see us attracting anyone as good as him (partly because of our wage structure - which I totally understand, but also partly because selling our best player is a statement about reducing our ambitions... and what world-class player wants to come to a club that's doing that?)

I think we should do exactly what we did last summer... point to his contract, tell him he's here for the duration, and bump his wages to 100k (which I know is outside our structure, but we should be ditching a lot of high-wage deadwood this summer).

Won't happen. May not even be a realistic option. But it's what I'd *like* to see happen.

Why do Barca need Modric?
It's Madrid.

What bird is that guy going on about on BBC that's really fit?

Name?

Maybe Barca making Modric their marquee signing this year, they didn't need Fabregas and yet signed him. We should try to seal a deal to get Fabregas back to England, if he would play for his former rivals. I know he is a former Gooner but I would be happy with him signing as he would improve our side and we have already had a few ex-Arsenal players who have improved us so far and who weren't previously popular with the fans; Gallas and Adebayor the two most famous.

How about Fabregas and ?ú20m, that sounds like a deal to me. :)

I think he might move to Barcelona, I think that is the side which would be written as the best team in the World. If Modric was to move there, I could understand the move, as Modric supported the team when he was younger and idolised Cruyff I believe, and providing that they gave us a sizeable amount of money to land Modric then I could accept the sale. I want us to keep hold of him but likeliehood is that he is going so may as well start accepting this.

Xavi, Iniesta & Fabregas - all three world class midfielders. Why oh why would Barcelona want or even need another one?

It's Real Madrid who would most like to have a ball-player like Modric.

Maybe Barca making Modric their marquee signing this year, they didn't need Fabregas and yet signed him. We should try to seal a deal to get Fabregas back to England, if he would play for his former rivals. I know he is a former Gooner but I would be happy with him signing as he would improve our side and we have already had a few ex-Arsenal players who have improved us so far and who weren't previously popular with the fans; Gallas and Adebayor the two most famous.

They moved for Fabregas because they saw the opportunity to get a ?ú50m midfielder for ?ú30m.

It doesn't matter how much money we get for him... if we sell Modric, it'll be a backwards step for the club. He's a genuinely world-class player and I can't see us attracting anyone as good as him (partly because of our wage structure - which I totally understand, but also partly because selling our best player is a statement about reducing our ambitions... and what world-class player wants to come to a club that's doing that?)

I think we should do exactly what we did last summer... point to his contract, tell him he's here for the duration, and bump his wages to 100k (which I know is outside our structure, but we should be ditching a lot of high-wage deadwood this summer).

Won't happen. May not even be a realistic option. But it's what I'd *like* to see happen.

I agree

Bingo.

I would have agreed last summer that selling Modric could only be viewed as a step back. However it now seems we've come to end of a failed project whereby an unsustainable, short-term strategy has been employed to ensure the club established a place within the CL elite. What we're left with is an inflated wage bill, several aging and injury prone players, only one striker and general lack of depth. If the sale Modric is whats needed to build a more balanced side then that's a positive start.

He played regularly for Barca last season and scored a lot of goals. Why would they want to get rid of him?

It would be up there with losing Hoddle, Waddle & Gazza - and a sad sad sad day.

Is it too immoral to hope for a Modric injury during the Euros and hope that no one will buy him because of it?

So 4456 posts and Vertonghen is STILL not done yet and we've only sold 1 player... I hope the window picks up sooner rather than later

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Zenit St Petersburg have opened informal talks with Arsenal over re-signing Andrey Arshavin, 31, as the midfield dynamo impresses at Euro 2012

Full story: Metro

Paris Saint-Germain have made a move for Tottenham playmaker Luka Modric, offering Spurs ?ú30m for the 26-year-old Croatian playmaker.
Marouane Fellaini

Cult favourite Marouane Fellaini could leave Everton in search of European football

Full story: Daily Mirror

Big-haired Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini, 24, could be on his way out of Goodison Park after admitting: "I want to play in the Champions League or in the Europa League. Last season we finished seventh with Everton, and we were not able to qualify for Europe, which was a shame."

Full story: Daily Express

Liverpool are prepared to fight off interest from Bundesliga side Schalke for free agent Salomon Kalou, 26, who left Chelsea at the end of the season.

Tottenham and QPR are in the hunt for Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster, but the 31-year-old is already the subject of a ?ú3m bid from West Brom, with whom he was on loan in the last campaign.

Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill is determined to keep Stephane Sessegnon at the club, despite speculation surrounding the future of the 26-year-old Benin forward.

Full story: the Independent

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have been told to double their ?ú4m bid for Ajax midfielder Vurnon Anita, or forget trying to sign the 23-year-old.

Full story: the Sun

Schalke boss Huub Stevens has confirmed his interest in Tottenham playmaker Rafael van der Vaart. Stevens coached the 29-year-old Dutch player when they were both at Hamburg.

However, the German club admit they cannot afford the ?ú28m Van der Vaart would cost in transfer fees, bonuses and wages.

Full story: Footylatest.com

Alberto Aquilani is set to leave Liverpool for AC Milan with the Reds losing ?ú17m on the 27-year-old midfielder.

Full story: the Sun

New Norwich manager Chris Hughton will pursue European targets in an effort to bolster his squad, according to City chairman Alan Bowkett.

Full story: Eastern Daily Press

Manchester United are to step up their chase for Everton left-back Leighton Baines. The 27-year-old, who has attracted interest from Italian side Napoli, is vauled at ?ú20m by his club but United will try to negotiate a price closer to ?ú15m.

Full story: Manchester Evening News
EURO 2012 GOSSIP

The national newspapers are full of praise for Roy Hodgson's England following the 1-1 draw with France on Monday. "Roy has lift-off" declares the Daily Express, while the Independent suggests the result was a "Point made".

The Red Tops concentrate on goalscorer Joleon Lescott with the Daily Mirror shouting "Kings of Joleon", the Sun going with "Jole good" and the Daily Star offering "Jole well done".

The Guardian is more cautious with "England huff and puff to a draw" while the Daily Mail offers Lescott 1 Les Bleus 1, however, The Times has the truly marvellous: "Donetsk best thing: England draw first match".

England's Euro 2012 injury curse struck again on Monday as goalkeeping coach Ray Clemence, aged 63 and capped 61 times by his country, had to be carried from the pitch in agony after tweaking his Achilles tendon in the warm-up before the draw with France.

Full story: Daily Express

OTHER GOSSIP

Emirates Marketing Project appear to be pricing Adam Johnson, 24, out of a move. Sunderland are reportedly interested but City are thought to want around ?ú15m for the England winger.

Juventus winger Eljero Elia has agreed to leave the Italian champions after making only four appearances last season. Liverpool have been strongly linked with the 25-year-old.

Full story: talkSPORT

Former Aston Villa owner Sir Doug Ellis has called for managerieal stability at the club after endorsing the appointment of Paul Lambert as manager.

Full story: Birmingham Mail
AND FINALLY

Ex-England footballer Michael Gray has become the first person ever to have his hair transplant operation broadcast live on the internet. "Cosmetic surgery now is an everyday occurrence," he reasoned.

Fellaini is a damn good box to box midfielder. Wouldn't mind him coming in tbh and would also give us the extra bit of fighting spirit we despertaly need.

Back