• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Selling Luka for 40m and bringing in Fellaini for 20m is good business imo.

Poor deal. In Parker, Sandro and - at times - Livermore, we have the midfield bite already there. Luka Modric is a pure ball-player, so if he were ever sold then you'd need to plug that creative gap; signing yet another gritty player would just leave us overloaded with options to win the ball - yet no one with the technique or vision to use it.

lassana diarra's agent has announced diarra will be signing for fulham.. could be a smoke screen, but would be a good signing if true.

I would have agreed last summer that selling Modric could only be viewed as a step back. However it now seems we've come to end of a failed project whereby an unsustainable, short-term strategy has been employed to ensure the club established a place within the CL elite. What we're left with is an inflated wage bill, several aging and injury prone players, only one striker and general lack of depth. If the sale Modric is whats needed to build a more balanced side then that's a positive start.

How is our wage bill inflated and who are our injury prone players?

Poor deal. In Parker, Sandro and - at times - Livermore, we have the midfield bite already there. Luka Modric is a pure ball-player, so if he were ever sold then you'd need to plug that creative gap; signing yet another gritty player would just leave us overloaded with options to win the ball - yet no one with the technique or vision to use it.

very true but in a 4-2-3-1 how important is a Luka type midfielder when you're already playing a creative midfielder like VDV in front of him. Personally i think many teams get by fine without a Luka type cm.

A dm like Parker/sandro, a box to box midfielder like Fellaini and a creative attacking mid like VDV would work very well. Btw judging by some of these responses it's clear Fellaini isn't rated much.....we'll talk again after his first season with chelsea.

How is our wage bill inflated and who are our injury prone players?

Wage bill has increased from ?ú53m when Redknapp arrived to ?ú90m. With no CL football the wages will be around 70% of turnover compared to 43% when Redknapp arrived. (Those in the Harry is a miracle worker/ 4-5-4 camp would do well to remember this)

I'm just saying that with Frediel, King, Gallas all needing to be replaced now or in the near future, and currently only one striker in Defoe, there's a huge amount of investment needed in this squad.

Last edited:
You're probably quite a simple minded person that thinks we'd have to replace luka like for like if he leaves. Me i like to look at the bigger picture.

rofl, don't try and be patronising when your original point was ridiculous. feillani for 20 million? absolutely laughable, he's a good player at best

Wage bill has increased from ?ú53m when Redknapp arrived to ?ú90m. With no CL football the wages will be around 70% of turnover compared to 43% when Redknapp arrived. (Those in the Harry is a miracle worker/ 4-5-4 camp would do well to remember this)

I'm just saying that with Frediel, King, Gallas all needing to be replaced now or in the near future, and currently only one striker in Defoe, there's a huge amount of investment needed in this squad.

That's already proven to be incorrect, and out of date. No one has been able to provide proof either way whether the inflated wage bill is down to basics or down to bonus payments made due to CL qualification.

rofl, don't try and be patronising when your original point was ridiculous. feillani for 20 million? absolutely laughable, he's a good player at best

He is an excellent player at best IMO. Once he does leave Everton I think he'll go on and become a very good player at a top club. I'd be shocked if we could get him to be honest. He'll more likely be bound for one of the big guns. Hopefully not literally, as he is a Wenger style player and would do the scum a treat!

Wage bill has increased from ?ú53m when Redknapp arrived to ?ú90m. With no CL football the wages will be around 70% of turnover compared to 43% when Redknapp arrived.

The wage bill was ?ú90 million in the season that we were in the Champions League. It therefore included huge Champions League bonuses that will not be paid when we are not in the Champions League. So there's nothing to worry about in that respect.

As to there being an older squad, let's not forget that in Harry's time at the club, our net spend on transfers has been a very modest one million or two per season - far less than any of his predecessors.

So it's grossly unfair on both counts, IMO, to imply that Redknapp is somehow responsible for Spurs spending more than they should while leaving little in terms of value in much of the squad. If the players that Harry has signed have little value, then it is largely because they cost next to nothing in the first place.

He is a MUCH better player than just being 'gritty'....

He is an excellent player at best IMO. Once he does leave Everton I think he'll go on and become a very good player at a top club. I'd be shocked if we could get him to be honest. He'll more likely be bound for one of the big guns. Hopefully not literally, as he is a Wenger style player and would do the scum a treat!

we'll have to agree to disagree. not seen anything about him that makes me think he has much untapped potential. techinically looks mediocre and clumsy

Turnover was ?ú163m and wages ?ú91m in 2010-11 which is the last available year. This makes wages 55.8% of turnover but the narrative in our annual accounts explained that the increase was largely down to performance bonuses for our Champions League run.

The other thing that you need to consider when looking at wages at Spurs, is what are the background market conditions? Wage inflation in the Premiership is massive and no matter who is the manager, our wages will have to increase to keep pace with the other clubs challenging for a top four place.

In terms of players; we know that we are in negotiations with Adebayor and Vertonghen. Which goes a long way to plugging the gaps that you mention.

we'll have to agree to disagree. not seen anything about him that makes me think he has much untapped potential. techinically looks mediocre and clumsy

I think that his height can make him look ungainly but I agree with MK, he is an excellent player who will join a big club and do well, when he leaves Everton.

If we got rid of Modric I would want Kallstrom. I know he is similiar to Thudd but I really like Kallstrom.

If we got rid of Modric I would want Kallstrom. I know he is similiar to Thudd but I really like Kallstrom.

It wouldn't be a transfer thread without Kim Kallstrom. All we need now is the The Sock and I'm calling Bingo

Back