• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
only 8 mill??? then 5.5 mill should do the deal....bang, we have the Yorkshire version of Leandro Damiao and at a 3rd of the cost

didnt Clive Allen and Joe Jordan go and watch him last season and he banged in 5 or 6 in one game.....obviously not good enough for Spurs

Rhodes > Fletcher

think 8m is a pretty decent price tag, why not him?

only 8 mill??? then 5.5 mill should do the deal....bang, we have the Yorkshire version of Leandro Damiao and at a 3rd of the cost

didnt Clive Allen and Joe Jordan go and watch him last season and he banged in 5 or 6 in one game.....obviously not good enough for Spurs

Leandro Damiao has won the Copa Libertadores and plays at the highest level in Brazilian football and has played and scored for Brazil.

Rhodes has scored an incredible number of goals, but in League 1. End of. There is a MASSIVE difference between League 1 and the bottom of the Premier League, let alone Champions League places.

I'm not saying Leandro Damiao would work for us, it would be a risk... but far less of a risk than Rhodes.

The last goalscoring sensation from the lower leagues, Beckford, flopped massively and will probably rejoin Leeds this window.

So only rumours I see are regarding keepers. Which we have 3 capable keepers already yet no strikers which we have 1 which may or may not fit into AVB's system sorry but I am in full panic mode

So only rumours I see are regarding keepers. Which we have 3 capable keepers already yet no strikers which we have 1 which may or may not fit into AVB's system sorry but I am in full panic mode

We only need one top striker and we're obviously sticking with our main targets in the hope that one or two will come off in the end. I'll be disappointed if we can't sort one out before Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but I'd rather wait a little extra than buy someone that isn't good enough (Chamakh, Park etc.). Though I expect us go after a lesser backup option if nothing looks like happening towards the end of the window. It doesn't mean we're a joke club (not saying you think that).

Has anyone actually seen this Jordan Rhodes play? his strike rate is impressive but league 1 after all

Heard several people say he contributes nothing in link up play etc but he's just amazing at being in the right place at the right time..

It's a difficult argument, people say if you give defoe 10 straight starts he always get a few goals but then how much more productive is the team as a whole when you have an Adebayor type who holds the ball up, links up play and still knocks a few in even though he ain't the most clinical.

Heard several people say he contributes nothing in link up play etc but he's just amazing at being in the right place at the right time..

It's a difficult argument, people say if you give defoe 10 straight starts he always get a few goals but then how much more productive is the team as a whole when you have an Adebayor type who holds the ball up, links up play and still knocks a few in even though he ain't the most clinical.

It's easier for the opponents facing Defoe as they know he wants to try to score himself. With Ade they don't. Then you consider the countless offsides as well.

It's easier for the opponents facing Defoe as they know he wants to try to score himself. With Ade they don't. Then you consider the countless offsides as well.

Another thing to consider, abeit not sure how big.. when Ade links up the play and we keep possession in the opposition half then the opposition can't hurt you.. When Pav skies one into the stand the other team have ball straight back then you are chasing possession each time.

We only need one top striker and we're obviously sticking with our main targets in the hope that one or two will come off in the end. I'll be disappointed if we can't sort one out before Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but I'd rather wait a little extra than buy someone that isn't good enough (Chamakh, Park etc.). Though I expect us go after a lesser backup option if nothing looks like happening towards the end of the window. It doesn't mean we're a joke club (not saying you think that).
I'd rather identify someone we really want which I assume we have done and maybe pay slightly more to get him in before the season starts I just see too many similarities to last year and the slow start may have cost us CL

Another thing to consider, abeit not sure how big.. when Ade links up the play and we keep possession in the opposition half then the opposition can't hurt you.. When Pav skies one into the stand the other team have ball straight back then you are chasing possession each time.

that doesn't excite me then on to the next one

I'd rather identify someone we really want which I assume we have done and maybe pay slightly more to get him in before the season starts I just see too many similarities to last year and the slow start may have cost us CL

The problem with Ade is his wages. I guess Levy has an upper limit on how much he wants to spend on him in total.

The last goalscoring sensation from the lower leagues, Beckford, flopped massively and will probably rejoin Leeds this window.

You have to consider who he played for aswell though. I'm not saying he would have been a world beater but I bet Beckford would have scored a hell of a lot more goals for us rather than a team like Everton.....

Totally agree. We need an Adebayor/Llorente/Lewandowski as the main man and someone who is young, hungry but understands that they aren't starting every week. Maybe someone like Konate who looks a prospect.

You have to consider who he played for aswell though. I'm not saying he would have been a world beater but I bet Beckford would have scored a hell of a lot more goals for us rather than a team like Everton.....

He only managed 9 in 39 for Leicester last season. Some players hit a streak and once they change club it's gone forever.

I actually thought he was a little hard done by at Everton. Never got a proper run of games but he looked dangerous most times I saw him

Who: The Goat
When: 2nd August
Where: SC

The Goat said: ↑
A few things........AVB wanted to see as much of the squad himself before making decisions on who should be brought in or let go so now they are back from the States it is likely activity will increase on both accounts.

Ade is more complicated than been reported on here in that other clubs are sounding out his agent and City so its by no means a done deal.

Modric will be let go, but only at the price Levy thinks is right, PSG are closer to that than Real, but Modric prefers Real or United, which is highly unlikely, so basically if he wants to move either Madrid up their offer or he goes to PSG or he stays.

We have been looking at five goalkeepers and expect one to happen soon, Butland was one of them and so was the Dutch guy at Roma, Stekelenberg.

As far as strikers go we have been very busy negotiating and although some targets have been missed others are close, apparently upgrades on current three. AVB not 100% sure on Ade as he has not had chance to see him close up.

I have also been told that players who don't look like they can play the "system" will be allowed to go, Gallas possibly being one of them. Some will be given a fresh chance, but if not up to the mark will be got rid of in January.

Any investment will be for naming rights and at least three interested parties.

Back