• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Heard several people say he contributes nothing in link up play etc but he's just amazing at being in the right place at the right time..

It's a difficult argument, people say if you give defoe 10 straight starts he always get a few goals but then how much more productive is the team as a whole when you have an Adebayor type who holds the ball up, links up play and still knocks a few in even though he ain't the most clinical.

Ive seen Rhodes a few times and thats about the size of it. His positioning looks excellent at that level, which is the key for me. He isnt especially strong or fast and his touch can be a bit lose, but he is up against 3rd tier defenses so it doesnt cost him.

Personally I wouldnt be at all confident in him hitting it off in the Premiership.

If it was my choice I would go more for the Adebayor type. Outside of the single striker we also have VDV, Bale and Sigurdsson looking likely goalscorers. So if we have a forward who can score goals, but also help get these guys in the goals then we are onto a big winner IMHO.

As well as that, with Adebayor specifically, he consistently gets into the right positions. Last season he was frustratingly wasetful at times, but he was always in the shooting position. IMHO he is the sort of player that can go on streaks of knocking in goals game after game. I also think played as the centre man in a 433 (or variant) he will be more focused on 'goals' than 'team' than he was last season where he was involved in the entire attack. This year he will be weighted more to feeding off of supply than last imo - meaning more chances and more goals (even if it also means more wasting as well!)

The problem with Ade is his wages. I guess Levy has an upper limit on how much he wants to spend on him in total.

I am sure there must be ways around it, like paying him in a lump sum. A striker of his ability for the price we were quoted at is an absolute steal. Even if we tack on 5-6m for Ade and end up paying 11-12m that is still a bargain in today's market. I just think last year if we had Parker and Ade from the start of season we probably would have gotten CL and that money we "saved" ended up costing us a hell of a lot of lost CL revenue.

Who: The Goat
When: 2nd August
Where: SC

The Goat said: ↑
A few things........AVB wanted to see as much of the squad himself before making decisions on who should be brought in or let go so now they are back from the States it is likely activity will increase on both accounts.

Ade is more complicated than been reported on here in that other clubs are sounding out his agent and City so its by no means a done deal.

Modric will be let go, but only at the price Levy thinks is right, PSG are closer to that than Real, but Modric prefers Real or United, which is highly unlikely, so basically if he wants to move either Madrid up their offer or he goes to PSG or he stays.

We have been looking at five goalkeepers and expect one to happen soon, Butland was one of them and so was the Dutch guy at Roma, Stekelenberg.

As far as strikers go we have been very busy negotiating and although some targets have been missed others are close, apparently upgrades on current three. AVB not 100% sure on Ade as he has not had chance to see him close up.

I have also been told that players who don't look like they can play the "system" will be allowed to go, Gallas possibly being one of them. Some will be given a fresh chance, but if not up to the mark will be got rid of in January.

Any investment will be for naming rights and at least three interested parties.

So no update on anything then Mr Goat.

I am sure there must be ways around it, like paying him in a lump sum. A striker of his ability for the price we were quoted at is an absolute steal. Even if we tack on 5-6m for Ade and end up paying 11-12m that is still a bargain in today's market. I just think last year if we had Parker and Ade from the start of season we probably would have gotten CL and that money we "saved" ended up costing us a hell of a lot of lost CL revenue.

Not sure about that as our ''Collapse'' happened after Xmas when both players were on board!

Not sure about that as our ''Collapse'' happened after Xmas when both players were on board!

I guess he's thinking we could have got a point or two from the Manchester's in the opening 2 games of the season?

RE the Goat, he really has done nothing but contradict himself and relay some rumours we've all seen in the press. I believe in some ITK's, I think this ones just proved he's not though.

I guess he's thinking we could have got a point or two from the Manchester's in the opening 2 games of the season?

RE the Goat, he really has done nothing but contradict himself and relay some rumours we've all seen in the press. I believe in some ITK's, I think this ones just proved he's not though.

Yes precisely they still would have been tough games but we were truly battered in both matches

The Goat is just a cover, so we don't know who the ITK is. I suspect it's JJetset and he's far too concerned about covering his own ass to be useful (as in being vague and non-specific, not like POTL's cryptics), but that's fine with me as I see no need to inform the world on what's happening behind the scenes.

Yea agreed, Ade and Parker were excellant for us in their opening few games, had they started those games our performances would have been a million times better, the signings lifted everyones performance levels. I don't think it's stretching it too much to think we could have made 1 or 2 points in those 2 games, seems silly to suggest that in hindsight considering we got dingdonged 8-1, but confidence and good team spirit plays a huge part in Football.

Having said all that, I'm in the camp that Levy knows what he's doing, he's a clearly very intelligent guy, more intelligent than anyone on here I'm sure. There's no way he hasn't put a value on getting these deals done early, maybe the valuations are so far apart before the last few days that it makes it impossible to just write off the "loss"?

He very rarely posts then, either way he doesn't post as the goat, you're just fueling the haters on here by saying so.

They no longer say that he supplied the Goat, which kind of defeated the purpose. They were talking about coming to an arrangement when he took all the Q&As to twitter. He never left SC.

Highly unlikely but possible I suppose... The one result that still drives me mad is the 1-0 loss to QPR and I believe thats the game that cost us and Harry his job !

Would agree also Norwich at home they destroyed us on our own pitch that was our worst display of the season imo

Can we make a new thread called "bitching about our transfer policy, and doom mongering"?

Page after page of we won't sign anyone, Levy needs to ... can we stick to actually talking about transfer targets/itk/assorted crap?

:lol:=D>

Back