• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with notion it is going to be extremely hard to find a direct replacement for Modric, and there is no point simply spending all of that money if we cannot find the right person (mouthino is a class player who would be a great addition but not worth the same amount as Modric imo). That said, the loss of Modric is going to be massive so we need to find ways of mitigating that loss, perhaps by signing players who will make the AVB system work best. In this regard signing M'Villa to sit alongside Sandro would be a great start. Then finalize the Ade deal, and seek one other striker who can complement him and Defoe (who?). Lloris would be a really excellent signing, and be another cog in the AVB system. One of Moses/Johnson (or someone else?) could then add options going forward. Johnson is an exciting player, my only concern about him would be his workrate and willingness to trackback and press.

Oh yeah and he has sell on value. Maybe not the full 30m but like I have said in an earlier post you cant always recoup the cash you paid for someone then again you will have reaped benefit from the players services and qualities so its only right that the players value drops unless you ofcourse get him to sign a long contract.

In fact ill go as far as saying Moutinho fits in perfectly with Levys plans - 25, sell on value and top quality player.

Yep.

Dembele would be cheaper than Moutinho.

20m id hazard a guess at. Thats the problem with trying to get someone in near the end of the window. Not forgetting the fact that Fulham dont need to sell, Dembele hasnt pulled a Dempsey and Dempsey may well leave doubt they will sell both

Agreed.

Overall, Modric is probably a slightly better player than Moutinho - even though they're not exactly like for like.

But Moutinho has a few qualities that would make him, in many respects, more valuable to Spurs than Modric. First and foremost, he knows (and loves playing for) AVB. He knows how AVB would want him to play. He would love to play for AVB again. He is very keen, therefore, to play for Spurs.

For all these reasons, the signing of Moutinho would massively help AVB to settle in properly and to get a good first season under his belt. Crucial, given what happened to him at Chelsea.

So spending all but £5 million of the Modric fee on Moutinho (who is, let's not forget, a year younger) would be perfectly justifiable, IMO.

I think that Modric is better than Moutinho and spending all of the Modric money on one player is putting all of our eggs in one basket. I would rather that we bought a few cheaper, younger players that we may be able to sell at a profit in a few years time. I can't see us ever making a profit on Moutinho if we paid upwards of £25m for him.

20m id hazard a guess at. Thats the problem with trying to get someone in near the end of the window. Not forgetting the fact that Fulham dont need to sell, Dembele hasnt pulled a Dempsey and Dempsey may well leave doubt they will sell both

Isn't Dembele's contract ending next summer too? He hasn't gone full Dempsey, but he will probably still walk on a free after this season so I don't think they can hold out for £20m.

I agree with notion it is going to be extremely hard to find a direct replacement for Modric, and there is no point simply spending all of that money if we cannot find the right person (mouthino is a class player who would be a great addition but not worth the same amount as Modric imo). That said, the loss of Modric is going to be massive so we need to find ways of mitigating that loss, perhaps by signing players who will make the AVB system work best. In this regard signing M'Villa to sit alongside Sandro would be a great start. Then finalize the Ade deal, and seek one other striker who can complement him and Defoe (who?). Lloris would be a really excellent signing, and be another cog in the AVB system. One of Moses/Johnson (or someone else?) could then add options going forward. Johnson is an exciting player, my only concern about him would be his workrate and willingness to trackback and press.

how much would M'Villa cost? is he the playmaker that we all need? that extra bit of creativity?

I think that Modric is better than Moutinho and spending all of the Modric money on one player is putting all of our eggs in one basket. I would rather that we bought a few cheaper, younger players that we may be able to sell at a profit in a few years time. I can't see us ever making a profit on Moutinho if we paid upwards of £25m for him.

But then again, if Moutinho help us get to the Champions league, those 5/10 million we might lose on the transfer fee, would more than be made up for...

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we spend all the Modric money on Moutinho. The hypothesis is based on spending all but £5 million on Moutinho (with the remainder constituting Ade's transfer fee).

Ultimately, it's down to what AVB really wants. If he feels that signing Moutinho is key; if he is the one who can make everything click, then £30 million could well end up as a complete bargain.

how much would M'Villa cost? is he the playmaker that we all need? that extra bit of creativity?

I'm guessing around 15m? (that is purely based on what I have read in terms of a potential Arsenal deal to buy him). He isn't an out and out creative player certainly but nor is he just a defensive midfielder that he is oft described as. My thinking is more if we had someone like him, sitting there with Sandro, it would enhance our pressing game and provide an excellent foundation for a fluid front 4. But this then means ensuring we have sufficent options - particularly up front.

But then again, if Moutinho help us get to the Champions league, those 5/10 million we might lose on the transfer fee, would more than be made up for...

I'm not sure that Levy sees it that way. I just cannot see us doubling our record transfer fee for a player that we couldn't sell on for profit in two or three years time, it just doesn't fit our business model.

Can I just ask why people say when mentioning Moutinho that he isn't really a like for like compared to Modric? I know they aren't exact, DNA copies of each other, but the way it's always said, it's like we are comparing Lampard to Makelele or something. As far as I can see, if there is one player in the world that we could spend the Modric money on that could replace him and bring the qualities back to the team...Moutinho would be it. He seems to do everything Modric does as far as I can see.

I can see Levy sanctioning the deal. One seemingly well informed source said we could get Moutinho for about £24M. So if we get around £35M for Luka, I can definitely see him spending £24 on Moutinho. Levy seems to be all about keeping your best players. So if the situation arises where it seems impossible to keep such a player, and the opportunity is there to replace him with one that is almost the same, I think it makes sense to do it. This is a key player. We can't replace him with a 'potential' signing if you want to maintain the same level. The opportunity is there to do the deal for Moutinho. He should do it.

Dembele would be decent but probably not on the level to replace Modric on a consistent level. Although against Norwich he showed what he could do. Received the ball with Norwich sat back deep, and he picked the pass to split them open. We would need that.

Can I just ask why people say when mentioning Moutinho that he isn't really a like for like compared to Modric? I know they aren't exact, DNA copies of each other, but the way it's always said, it's like we are comparing Lampard to Makelele or something. As far as I can see, if there is one player in the world that we could spend the Modric money on that could replace him and bring the qualities back to the team...Moutinho would be it. He seems to do everything Modric does as far as I can see.

I can see Levy sanctioning the deal. One seemingly well informed source said we could get Moutinho for about £24M. So if we get around £35M for Luka, I can definitely see him spending £24 on Moutinho. Levy seems to be all about keeping your best players. So if the situation arises where it seems impossible to keep such a player, and the opportunity is there to replace him with one that is almost the same, I think it makes sense to do it. This is a key player. We can't replace him with a 'potential' signing if you want to maintain the same level. The opportunity is there to do the deal for Moutinho. He should do it.

Dembele would be decent but probably not on the level to replace Modric on a consistent level. Although against Norwich he showed what he could do. Received the ball with Norwich sat back deep, and he picked the pass to split them open. We would need that.

This.

When I say that Moutinho is not exactly like for like, I mean only that he isn't known for bursting into space with a jink and a dribble in the way that Modric does to such great effect. It's one of Modric's greatest, and least recognised qualities, IMO, and is one of the reasons why he is so good at keeping the team ticking.

That said, Moutinho also has qualities that are superior to Modric's. For instance, he is probably more effective than Modric when not in possession.

This.

When I say that Moutinho is not exactly like for like, I mean only that he isn't known for bursting into space with a jink and a dribble in the way that Modric does to such great effect. It's one of Modric's greatest, and least recognised qualities, IMO, and is one of the reasons why he is so good at keeping the team ticking.

That said, Moutinho also has qualities that are superior to Modric's. For instance, he is probably more effective than Modric when not in possession.

Modric can beat men without touching the ball tahts why he is so fudgein good and thats why Madrid should be paying 35m at the very fudgein least if not 40m

I imagine Dembele is better at going forwards than Moutinho but we wouldnt need that.

Also another reason why I think Moutinho is worth the extra push is he IS one of AVB's men. Just like how Mourinho bought his own disciples like Ferreira, Carvalho to the bridge, it will aid his assertiveness at the club, with players who are already sold on his philosophy.

Back