• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Victor Moses for me looks more of a threat and less predictable on both wings, cheaper too.

I've never paid much attention to him over the months. Watching Wigan hurts my eyes...but caught the first half today and he looked good, but not £10m good though. Wheeling-dealing-Whelan wont let him go cheaply

£10m is nothing in todays market though. I actually think £10m for him is a steal though. He can use both feet, has good vision, quick, very good skill on the ball and can provide excellent cover for both Lennon and Bale late in games as opposed to bringing on, well, no one.

There's no way we'll pay £30m for Moutinho, regardless of what Luka goes for.

Agree that its unlikely. Only way that Levy could convince himself would be if he viewed it as one separate deal (ie that we were say swapping Luka for Moutinho +£5m - £10m)

Any other potential targets then for central midfield? M'Vila will most likely be leaving, would be great to get him under Arsenal's noses.

There's no way we'll pay £30m for Moutinho, regardless of what Luka goes for.

Not sure why.

if we cant pay the money clubs want because we dont have money then the sale of Luka should help that. If its wages that is an issue then fine ill accept that. if he doesnt want to come fine i will accept that. BUT if its because we just dont want to pay that much then we gotta ask ourselves how much do we want to challenge etc.

Not sure why.

if we cant pay the money clubs want because we dont have money then the sale of Luka should help that. If its wages that is an issue then fine ill accept that. if he doesnt want to come fine i will accept that. BUT if its because we just dont want to pay that much then we gotta ask ourselves how much do we want to challenge etc.

Signing Moutinho for the same we sell Modric for would be really bad business and I cannot see Levy agreeing to it

Signing Moutinho for the same we sell Modric for would be really bad business and I cannot see Levy agreeing to it

Just curious - why would it be bad business?

Unless we need to sell to, for example, fund the stadium or because we face administration then why bad business? and dont forget we will be getting two players for Modric in Ade and Moutinho

Anyone know what sort of wages AJ is on at City?

Around £80k I think.

I've never paid much attention to him over the months. Watching Wigan hurts my eyes...but caught the first half today and he looked good, but not £10m good though. Wheeling-dealing-Whelan wont let him go cheaply

Whelan was on SSN the other day and they asked him whether the fee for Moses is £10m and he said it's a little less than that.

I agree with Milo. Spending all of our Modric money pretty much on any replacement who is no where near better than Modric is a waste of money. Use the money and buy perhaps 2 or even 3 players.

- Get a central midfielder who won't be as good as Modric obviously but perhaps someone better suited to a system we want to play, maybe M'Vila so he can partner Sandro in the middle of the field? or if we want someone to pick locks in the middle someone like Witsel from Benfica or a Belgian team mate of his in Moussa Dembele from Fulham

- Get someone who can play on the wings, replacements for Lennon and Bale in games. We already have dos Santos but we don't know if he's to see a game in a Spurs shirt again, perhaps someone like Victor Moses from Wigan? Or we can take a risk and buy very highly rated Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace for the wings, someone who shouldn't be too expensive.

- Get perhaps that young up and coming hungry striker, Mbaye Niang is one of those we have been linked with although the papers seem to think he will be on his way to Everton. If not, why not call up someone who is the exact same age as him in our youth team who we signed last year and has apparently got a great eye for goal in Souleyman Coulibaly.

- Get a young goalkeeper in. Jack Butland has looked good for both Team Great Britain and his stint in goal for England the other day. Yet to even play a game above League Two level but it shows testament to his ability if he's getting picked for England. Would be a great gamble and could end up being our 'Joe Hart'.

Striker schmiker.

Please sign a creative central midfielder to replace Modric or get Modric back playing or play Huddlestone or just do something to get a ball playing midfielder into the centre of the side...

I don't want Moses, he has very little football intelligence, just pace. Runs into trouble every time.

Could get someone for £1m to do that or just use Sndros 'Andy' Townsend

I like Johnson. Let's just get Moses and Johnson. 2 alternatives to Bale and Lennon.

So thats Johnson, Moses, Ade, Moutinho and Lloris. By Wednesday

I don't want Moses, he has very little football intelligence, just pace. Runs into trouble every time.

Could get someone for £1m to do that or just use Sndros 'Andy' Townsend
Don't think I've ever seen a more inaccurate description of Moses than that.

Well played....

Would like Adam Johnson, good option for the wing positions

I've not seen that much of Johnson mainly because he rarely plays but what I do know is he can be wasteful, often plays with his head down and shoots when the better option is to pass and this is why City fans get frustrated with him. Perhaps this can be worked out of his game, he's is an explosive winger so would add cover to Bale and Lennon.

Not sure City would sell on the cheap though and he's English. Got to be better options if you're willing to spend 10-15m on a winger.

Just curious - why would it be bad business?

Unless we need to sell to, for example, fund the stadium or because we face administration then why bad business? and dont forget we will be getting two players for Modric in Ade and Moutinho

Agreed.

Overall, Modric is probably a slightly better player than Moutinho - even though they're not exactly like for like.

But Moutinho has a few qualities that would make him, in many respects, more valuable to Spurs than Modric. First and foremost, he knows (and loves playing for) AVB. He knows how AVB would want him to play. He would love to play for AVB again. He is very keen, therefore, to play for Spurs.

For all these reasons, the signing of Moutinho would massively help AVB to settle in properly and to get a good first season under his belt. Crucial, given what happened to him at Chelsea.

So spending all but £5 million of the Modric fee on Moutinho (who is, let's not forget, a year younger) would be perfectly justifiable, IMO.

Agreed.

Overall, Modric is probably a slightly better player than Moutinho - even though they're not exactly like for like.

But Moutinho has a few qualities that would make him, in many respects, more valuable to Spurs than Modric. First and foremost, he knows (and loves playing for) AVB. He knows how AVB would want him to play. He would love to play for AVB again. He is very keen, therefore, to play for Spurs.

For all these reasons, the signing of Moutinho would massively help AVB to settle in properly and to get a good first season under his belt. Crucial, given what happened to him at Chelsea.

So spending all but £5 million of the Modric fee on Moutinho (who is, let's not forget, a year younger) would be perfectly justifiable, IMO.

Oh yeah and he has sell on value. Maybe not the full 30m but like I have said in an earlier post you cant always recoup the cash you paid for someone then again you will have reaped benefit from the players services and qualities so its only right that the players value drops unless you ofcourse get him to sign a long contract.

In fact ill go as far as saying Moutinho fits in perfectly with Levys plans - 25, sell on value and top quality player.

Back