• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't want Moses, he has very little football intelligence, just pace. Runs into trouble every time.

Could get someone for £1m to do that or just use Sndros 'Andy' Townsend

Funny enough I think similar of AJ (except the pace)

Loads of tricks and obvious skill, yet no sense at all. Constantly over plays the ball, ignores the smart pass or runs down blind alleys

Ultimately, it's down to what AVB really wants. If he feels that signing Moutinho is key; if he is the one who can make everything click, then £30 million could well end up as a complete bargain.

This is precisely the point.

There is a players "worth", and then there is what they are sold for "What they are worth to the buying team"

To us what price can we put on making the system work properly?
To AVB what price can he put on getting a real partner in on the field?
To lose Modric without being set back 3 years?

After the game on Saturday the amount of comments on here saying "If we just had an Ade and a Modric that would have been outstanding..." what rice on getting that right?

For me £30m is a lot of money (honestly more than the deal would be in reality IMO) but it money worth paying if it gets us what and where we want. Resale value or not.

Chamakh would score 10+ league goals here.

What is the deal with him?

Was supposed to be the next big thing (have no idea just how good - or not - he was in France).
Wenger went to great lengths to sign him.
He started well, not amazing but well - was getting goals even though he clearly hadnt settled
Then he just .... disappears.

What happened for Wenger to just brickcan him for over a season?

Honestly I wondered if it were drugs or something...

I agree with the sentiment that we should get more for Modric than we spend on Mountinho, as Modric is proven in the PL and with us. In an ideal world I would want Moutinho and £10m in exchange for Modric.

However, as some have pointed out Moutinho is the closest we can get in terms of style (albeit not exactly) and quality and brings his own qualities. His suitability for and knowledge of AVB's system is worth a premium. And as we have left things late his familiarity with AVB is even more valuable. Its hard for a player to be quickly up and running in the PL, but if we could get Moutinho the transition should be easier because of the AVB factor. A faster start could be worth that £10m difference by the end of the season.

Likewise, Adebayor offers a more seamless transition. The signing isn't that exciting as it been "done" six times already and we end up with what we had last season (that's a lot of emotion for more of the same), but what we had last season is exactly what we need. And now.

What is the deal with him?

Was supposed to be the next big thing (have no idea just how good - or not - he was in France).
Wenger went to great lengths to sign him.
He started well, not amazing but well - was getting goals even though he clearly hadnt settled
Then he just .... disappears.

What happened for Wenger to just brickcan him for over a season?

Honestly I wondered if it were drugs or something...

No drugs - he was only getting game time because RVP was injured at the time. Then was dropped as soon as the Dutchman recovered and like with most strikers - dipped in form and barely got any minutes on the pitch - i.e. the perpetual cycle of death

I don't think that Chamakh was ever all that. Arsenal signed him because he was running down his contract and was cheap.

This is precisely the point.

There is a players "worth", and then there is what they are sold for "What they are worth to the buying team"

To us what price can we put on making the system work properly?
To AVB what price can he put on getting a real partner in on the field?
To lose Modric without being set back 3 years?

After the game on Saturday the amount of comments on here saying "If we just had an Ade and a Modric that would have been outstanding..." what rice on getting that right?

For me £30m is a lot of money (honestly more than the deal would be in reality IMO) but it money worth paying if it gets us what and where we want. Resale value or not.

At the risk of this becoming an endless loop of mutual appreciation, I couldn't agree more with your post.

As much as it makes logical sense, I firmly believe we will never spend 30m on a player, not at least we have the new stadium.

Am with you on that. Cant see Levy going above £20m, however Moutinho is still only 25 so there has to be a chance that Levy would pay more than he usually would.

If we can essentially swap Modric for Moutinho and Adebayor I would be happy

Am with you on that. Cant see Levy going above £20m, however Moutinho is still only 25 so there has to be a chance that Levy would pay more than he usually would.

Still think that even with that we need another CF and another winger. Otherwise we're in the same position we were last season - unable to rest Ade, Bale or Lennon and absolutely fudged if any of them get injured. Imagine if all three did at the same time, what the fudge would we do?

In addition to that - the fact AVB is hinting we need to sell Modric first in order funds is utmost disturbing considering since our very first CL qualification we have signed

VdV - 8m
Parker - 5m
Pienaar - 2m
Brad - free
Ade - loan
Gallas - free
Sigurdsson - 7m
Vertonghen - 9m

While in that time we have sold

Pienaar - 4.5m
Pav - 8m
Krunchie - 6m
Corluka - 5.5m
Palacios - 8m
Crouch - 12m
Keane - 3.5m
Chimbonda - 2m
Hutton 3m (lol)

Add to that our CL earnings, incrased TV income, improved merchandise/market exposure, etc. - and those 30m bids for Aguero and Forlan year back - so are we really skint?

At the risk of this becoming an endless loop of mutual appreciation, I couldn't agree more with your post.

:lol:

As much as it makes logical sense, I firmly believe we will never spend 30m on a player, not at least we have the new stadium.

I wonder if perhaps this is the issue with the Modric deal, in both the fact it isnt done yet and we are seemibgly waiting on Modric before moving other transfers.

Ordinarily I would agree Levy isnt a big spender (as in that money on a single transfer) though I do believe the form book gets thrown somewhat in the case of a new manager. Levy usually spends a lot in a show of solidarity/faith in the new man.

Levy sacked a popular (with the press at least!) and successful manager in order to bring in AVB, something of a coup based on 2011 stature, I can well see him trying to justify that move.

So Modric. What if the hold up is all about 'up front' payments? Most deals seem payable over a few years/the course of the new contract in installments with a lower fee being paid up front. This is common place. What if Levy is insisting on 90% or so of the fee in his hand immediately? Allowing him to move on Moutinho in a cash deal - nothing hanging around on the books etc....?

Also, for Porto, £25m now might be preferable to £30m in 4 years time....

Our record signing is around £16.5m for Modric, Bent and/or Bentley. But these signings were back in 2007 and 2008. Thats a long time ago for setting a record when the money in the PL has been increasing. Now £15-20m signings have become commonplace. A £25m signing now is probably the equivalent to those deals in terms of our turnover.

Add to that our CL earnings, incrased TV income, improved merchandise/market exposure, etc. - and those 30m bids for Aguero and Forlan year back - so are we really skint?

I genuinely think those £30m bids were done for the fans. I could bid £2m for a house down the street - knowing full well it will never be sold for such - leaves me looking flush even though there is only £10 in my wallett...

Aside from which I do think the increased wage bill, the training facilities and the stadium have all eaten into our funds considerably.

I dont imagine we have a nice stack of millions sat in the bank off of the back of trading to be honest.

I don't think that Chamakh was ever all that. Arsenal signed him because he was running down his contract and was cheap.

Chamakh looked the boss with Bordeaux in Europe. I was not happy that Arsenal signed him, but it goes to show that forwards from the French league are not that good when coping with better defenses and faster pace

I genuinely think those £30m bids were done for the fans. I could bid £2m for a house down the street - knowing full well it will never be sold for such - leaves me looking flush even though there is only £10 in my wallett...

Aside from which I do think the increased wage bill, the training facilities and the stadium have all eaten into our funds considerably.

I dont imagine we have a nice stack of millions sat in the bank off of the back of trading to be honest.

I don't think those bids were propaganda to be honest, but if you genuinely belive that (even the other club's chairmen confirmed it) - well, let's leave it at that. A lot of clubs wouls conisder selling at 30m, btw

Hell, let's take it back further - 50m from Berba and Keane reinvested into what exactly?

But even if we assume some of the above to be true (from your comment) - do you really believe we'd blow 30m on a player with all those things considered?

We have money (imv) but are probably saving for other things - presumably (hopefully!) the stadium.

In addition to that - the fact AVB is hinting we need to sell Modric first in order funds is utmost disturbing considering since our very first CL qualification we have signed

VdV - 8m
Parker - 5m
Pienaar - 2m
Brad - free
Ade - loan
Gallas - free
Sigurdsson - 7m
Vertonghen - 9m

While in that time we have sold

Pienaar - 4.5m
Pav - 8m
Krunchie - 6m
Corluka - 5.5m
Palacios - 8m
Crouch - 12m
Keane - 3.5m
Chimbonda - 2m
Hutton 3m (lol)

We're building a new stadium and are just finishing a new training ground. Money is bound to be tighter - question of whether you would prefer us to build a stadium which is in the long term interests of the club or blow a huge pile of cash on some fancy new CF which, whilst it might get us into the CL again, may also not do and therefore put the club at risk

And it also not just a case of actually blowing the cash - when we approach lenders to finance the stadium, they will need comfort that the club is being run properly, that their is low risk to the business plan etc etc and its not just quantitative aspects which go into these sort of things. Therefore Levy's hands are even more tied until all the financing for the stadmium is secure

Back