• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why are we just accepting that we've been "priced out" of the Moutinho and M'Vila deals? Why aren't Real Madrid being "priced out" of the Modric deal.

Exactly the same concept - selling club wants more than the buying club is willing to pay. But we crack whereas the clubs we want to buy from don't.

Perhaps we need to get a little bit nastier - turning the players head and making them and their mates demand a move in the media like Modric has done, instead of letting them just give the whole "well it's a possibility that I could move but I don't I'm happy here" thing.

What makes you think that we've cracked while other clubs haven't?

If a deal for Modric is imminent, then it's almost certainly because both clubs have budged from their opening positions - as per normal in such negotiations.

I'd also hazard a guess that, if a deal to sell Modric is imminent, then a deal to sign his replacement (be that Moutinho or whoever) is also imminent.

AVB plays down Moutinho move

Spurs boss doubts M'Vila deal and admits Adebayor talks on-going

Last Updated: August 17, 2012 9:05am

Moutinho has been linked with Spurs for a number of weeks as the North London club look to replace Luka Modric, who is closing in on a move to Real Madrid.

Villas-Boas and the 25-year-old midfielder worked together at Porto, but like many of the Portuguese club's players, he is thought to have a hefty release clause of over £30million in his contract.

Spurs will have money to spend from Modric's sale, but they are also hoping to use some of the expected fee from Real to add a much-needed striker.

And for that reason, Villas-Boas admits signing Moutinho is unlikely, as he told a press conference: "It will be very difficult to sign him.

"I have experience of Porto and it is a club that sells good products but they are expensive."
Andre Villas-Boas Quotes of the week

Good products

"I have experience of Porto and it is a club that sells good products but they are expensive.

"It has been like that with numerous amounts of players and that is why it is very difficult."

Another target, Rennes' Yann M'Vila, is also unlikely to be joining the White Hart Lane club.

"He is an interesting player, but I don't think he will join Tottenham," Villas-Boas said. "The player is a player of defensive characteristics.

"We had initial interest in M'Vila but we have moved on from that one and are now looking for a more creative player."

Of more pressing concern to Villas-Boas is Tottenham's lack of firepower.

Adebayor

Jermain Defoe is the only recognised forward on the club's books, while talks are on-going over a permanent transfer for Emirates Marketing Project striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

Spurs are understood to have agreed a deal with the Premier League champions, but the player's £175,000 a week wage demands are reported to be preventing a move from going through.

Villas-Boas insists it is important that Spurs act cautiously and do not puncture their wage structure just to sign the striker, who was a big hit at White Hart Lane last term.

"We are trying to be more sensible," said Villas-Boas, who takes Tottenham to Saudi Sportswashing Machine on Saturday.

"I think the chairman is in contact with the player regularly and Emirates Marketing Project.

"There is no news. Everyone knows the chairman likes to keep things on a reasonable level in terms of what we spend. He has been very sensitive on that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7997268/AVB-plays-down-Moutinho-move

Southampton are not going to have a bad side this season. Always had a soft spot for the saints hope they do well.

Moutinho has been linked with Spurs for a number of weeks as the North London club look to replace Luka Modric, who is closing in on a move to Real Madrid.

Villas-Boas and the 25-year-old midfielder worked together at Porto, but like many of the Portuguese club's players, he is thought to have a hefty release clause of over £30million in his contract.

Spurs will have money to spend from Modric's sale, but they are also hoping to use some of the expected fee from Real to add a much-needed striker.

And for that reason, Villas-Boas admits signing Moutinho is unlikely, as he told a press conference: "It will be very difficult to sign him.

"I have experience of Porto and it is a club that sells good products but they are expensive."

Good products

"I have experience of Porto and it is a club that sells good products but they are expensive.

"It has been like that with numerous amounts of players and that is why it is very difficult."

Another target, Rennes' Yann M'Vila, is also unlikely to be joining the White Hart Lane club.

"He is an interesting player, but I don't think he will join Tottenham," Villas-Boas said. "The player is a player of defensive characteristics.

"We had initial interest in M'Vila but we have moved on from that one and are now looking for a more creative player."

Adebayor

Jermain Defoe is the only recognised forward on the club's books, while talks are on-going over a permanent transfer for Emirates Marketing Project striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

Spurs are understood to have agreed a deal with the Premier League champions, but the player's £175,000 a week wage demands are reported to be preventing a move from going through.

Villas-Boas insists it is important that Spurs act cautiously and do not puncture their wage structure just to sign the striker, who was a big hit at White Hart Lane last term.

"We are trying to be more sensible," said Villas-Boas, who takes Tottenham to Saudi Sportswashing Machine on Saturday.

"I think the chairman is in contact with the player regularly and Emirates Marketing Project.

"There is no news. Everyone knows the chairman likes to keep things on a reasonable level in terms of what we spend. He has been very sensitive on that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7997268/AVB-plays-down-Moutinho-move

Yet more spin.

Nowhere in that article does AVB say that we are "unlikely" to sign Moutinho.

Good products

Adebayor

Hardly plays down his arrival. Just says he is expensive.

Ramirez on the brink at Southampton according to ssn - they must have offered better personal terms, I presume

What the fudge did we offer? 5k/week?

I doubt that we were ever interested in him.

I certainly haven't seen any reason why we should be.

What little talk there has been of this possible signing is probably just the usual agent gonad*s.

Yet more spin.

Nowhere in that article does AVB say that we are "unlikely" to sign Moutinho.

He hinted (pre-emptied perhaps) funds is indeed an issue since Porto have never sold their prized assests cheaply (only positive being - the player would be keen if the club accepts an offer)

In the last sentence re-affirmed Levy's stance on sensible/calculated expendture. Not a chance we'd blow 30m on a player, imv.

Last edited:
He hinted (pre-emptied perhaps) funds in an issue since Porto have never sold their prized assests cheaply (only positive being - the player would be keen if the club accepts an offer)

In the last sentence re-affirmed Levy's stance on sensible/calculated expendture. Not a chance we'd blow 30m on a player, imv.

You expressing an opinion on here is fine!

I'm just pointing out that the editorial element of that article doesn't tally with the actual quotes.

All spin.

I doubt that we were ever interested in him.

I certainly haven't seen any reason why we should be.

What little talk there has been of this possible signing is probably just the usual agent gonad*s.

"The only solid offer is the one from Tottenham, who offered €16million [£12.6m]," Betancourt told Calciomercato.

"But the deal didn't go through because Spurs offered too low a wage to the player and if the wage difference is minimal he would stay at Bologna.

"Tottenham could raise their offer if they sell Modric and in that case the deal could be done, otherwise Ramirez will stay another year at Bologna."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7988871/Spurs-see-Ramirez-bid-snubbed

If it was libellous, I'm sure we would have come out and denied it

You expressing an opinion on here is fine!

I'm just pointing out that the editorial element of that article doesn't tally with the actual quotes.

All spin.

Jimmy - forget the spin - do you personally believe (considering all the noises AVB's made so far, even taken at face value), past precedent, etc. - we would be in a position to spend that kind of money?

If we can't get a playmaker in to replace Modric then he shouldn't be sold ! simple as that ! If Madrid want him that bad they should hook us up with one of their Galacticos and cash ! Otherwise make Modric stay ! He's under contract so fuk him !
COYS

What makes you think that we've cracked while other clubs haven't?

If a deal for Modric is imminent, then it's almost certainly because both clubs have budged from their opening positions - as per normal in such negotiations.

I'd also hazard a guess that, if a deal to sell Modric is imminent, then a deal to sign his replacement (be that Moutinho or whoever) is also imminent.

That's what a sensible club would do, but we have a proven track record of selling players without replacing them so forgive me for being sceptical.

AVB hinted as much yesterday (which also makes perfect sense) - my only hope is that we aren't priced out of it since sellers would be well aware of our updated balance figure. *sound of hands rubbing together*

I can't believe how we have handled this window, new manager, time to invest and back him and we stick to our late window shopping gonad*S once again.

IF Modric goes for an amount less than we wanted, after waiting all this time, ballsing up all other deals, I will be very, VERY fudged off.

aaaaaaand calm.

I really hope Kane plays and scores this weekend! Sometimes you need a bit of luck and a break!

All the youngsters that break through do so because they are given a chance, so until the guy fails in the premier league, I will hold hope for the guy!

Back